All-mountain or Enduro mountain bike?

Mostly trail riding because I live in MN and we don't have mountains .  Have some downhill stuff around but nothing crazy .   

Get a hard tail 29’er.

2 Likes
headroll -

Get a hard tail 29’er.

This. Love mine for doing exactly that. 

Yeah if you're not doing anything crazy rocky/bumpy then just get a hardtail. 

You'll save money and be a better rider if you go full suspension in the future.

Aim for lightweight and what looks good to you.

It seems not many ppl care about weight anymore but trust me it makes a difference if you're any good.

Hardtail with tubeless plus size tires and dropper post is nice. The extra grip from wider, low pressure tires is awesome. 

Why a hard tail? The bike shop I was in had like 2 models of hard tail and countless full suspension.  

sewich -

Why a hard tail? The bike shop I was in had like 2 models of hard tail and countless full suspension.  

Full suspension is better for stuff like gnarly downhill, rock gardens and whatnot. You'll enjoy a light hardtail more for smoother trails, fire roads and single track. They feel more agile and way better climbing. 

headroll -

Get a hard tail 29’er.

hardtail 29ers are made for the midwest

sewich -

1. suspension is extra weight you have to pedal around

2. there's no way to make a back end with pivots as rigid as one thats solid metal like a hardtail. the hardtail will just feel tighter in the back, like your girlfriend.

3. moving parts require maintenance and the more things that move the more things can go wrong 12 miles into the backcountry.

there are defintely advantages to suspension but they all involve trails where you would heavily rely on it for control. Ive ridden in Michigan and none of those trails qualified.

hardtails can ride any mtn bike trail out there. A good hardtail is very capable. Ive ridden Moab on a hardtail.

A short travel 29er is perfect for MN. I ride MN trails all the time and usually go for my rigid 27.5+, front suspension 29er or short travel 27.5

I would recommend against an enduro... you can get one and have tons of fun but the travel is unnecessary and you’re going to be working much harder for no real reason

What are some brands to look at?  

kkmmnn -

A short travel 29er is perfect for MN. I ride MN trails all the time and usually go for my rigid 27.5+, front suspension 29er or short travel 27.5

I would recommend against an enduro... you can get one and have tons of fun but the travel is unnecessary and you’re going to be working much harder for no real reason

Where do you go?  Have read the Cuyuna trails are the best in MN.  

sewich -

What are some brands to look at?  

Mine is a specialized epic 29er, love it. My last bike was an old ass Cannondale though, so I don't have much to compare it to. My son rides a giant, but I don't really like the look of it. 

Rungu Juggernaut

samichlaus - Rungu Juggernaut

Lot of guys in the area are riding sondors now. Lazy fuckers, I dislike them. 

ABCTT_SENNIN - 
samichlaus - Rungu Juggernaut

Lot of guys in the area are riding sondors now. Lazy fuckers, I dislike them. 

You can get non-electric Juggernaut.

And I agree 100%, I thought a significant benefit of riding was getting a bit of exercise.

In

Do pro racers use 29er’s to race? Are 27.5’s all the rage now?

I’m debating fixing up my old 26er, or getting something new.

I would also suggest a trail but, 29er. I have a couple of bikes, my trail bike is a YT Jeffsy, its a great all around bike and climbs pretty good; I even take it to the bike parks in Mammoth and Big Bear.

As mentioned above weight makes a difference, My other bike is a Cannondale Scalpel Si is 22lbs and its a rocket, climbs like a beast but not as fun or comfortable as my YT. Ive used this in a couple of Xterra events and some races.

I would also suggest looking into the absolute black chainrings, it a cheap upgrade yet makes a big difference. On a 15 mile trail with 2300ft of climbing I do about 4 to 5 times a week, I knocked 2 mins off my total time just by changing rings to an absolute black. 

![](upload://xCsNwauTzma5Kv9P45J8G9vCdSE.jpeg)