ALL ufc fights should be 3 rounds ONLY! *FRAT*

Chael Sonnen said it right when he said the same thing. A fighter's mentallity changes when he knows he could have to fight 5 rounds.

Two great examples of this are GSP & Jose Aldo. Both are 2 of the most talented fighters ever to compete in the sport of MMA. And before winning each respective title both men were fantastic finishers. GSP looked outstanding in his stoppage wins over Sherk, Trigg etc ... But now he's best known for talking his fights to decisions, with 5 of his last 6 wins came via decision.

And with Aldo he looked like one of the best on the planet when he debuted in the WEC winning 6 straight by stoppage (including his title win) But after winning the title he fights like a different fighter winning the next 4 straight but with only 1 stoppage & 3 by decision. 

I was stunned when the UFC changed the rules to allow 5 round non-title fights in main events now. As much as I love to watch mma, I love watching finishes and with this new rule, you're gonna see less finished fights, not more.

my 2 cents

Every fight should consist of only one 15 minute round. If the fight doesn't end in a stoppage, both fighters should be cut immediately.

Herring In A Fur Coat - 
Jack Skellington - Chael Sonnen said it right 

Stopped reading right there...

lmao

well played

Diaz wouldn't give a shit if it was 5 rounds.

mcpeepants232003 - lol yeah level of competition had nothing to do with it. Clearly it's harder to finish #1 contenders than guys who are barely making it in the Ufc.

FearTheJab -  5 rounds will be the death of MMA.

Don't get me wrong I appreciate the ground game but this new trend of wrestlers just controlling position is bullshit. Give them 25 mintutes of laying on people and casual fans are going to start dropping off. 

exactly my fear

32Hunter -  Diaz wouldn't give a shit if it was 5 rounds.

right, he'd also no-show the presser

Gee, I can't believe Chael suggested fights should only be 3 rounds.

Completely disagree, the shorter the fight, the higher the likely hood of fighters using the wrestle and simply control position for the JD will rise, not decline, as you are now significantly shortening the amount of time they have to hold their opponent down with out getting caught.

Yes some 5 rounders get dull, but having all bouts go 3 rounds instead will only increase the amount of JD's, not decrease them.

If a fighter is holding back in a 5 rounder because of the additional rounds, then they need to improve their cardio, not shorten the bout.

sweepnchoke - Gee, I can't believe Chael suggested fights should only be 3 rounds.

Completely disagree, the shorter the fight, the higher the likely hood of fighters using the wrestle and simply control position for the JD will rise, not decline, as you are now significantly shortening the amount of time they have to hold their opponent down with out getting caught.

Yes some 5 rounders get dull, but having all bouts go 3 rounds instead will only increase the amount of JD's, not decrease them.

If a fighter is holding back in a 5 rounder because of the additional rounds, then they need to improve their cardio, not shorten the bout.

But when wrestlers get tired they lay & pray. Therefore more stalling. Therefore more boring decisions watching 2 men 'point grapple' while Rogan tries to convince the audience how exciting it is.

Thank you ... no.

Aldo beat the crap out of Hominick. I thought he was gonna finish but Hominick is really tough guy. And Florian fought a very defensive fight. It just happens sometimes in my opinion

OnlyTheStrongSurvive - Aldo beat the crap out of Hominick. I thought he was gonna finish but Hominick is really tough guy. And Florian fought a very defensive fight. It just happens sometimes in my opinion

But do you see my pont?

Five rounds is perfect for title fights you cant base changing the format to 3 rounds because 1 or 2 fighters cant finish their opponents ala GSP. Especially when you have cain bones anderson and edgar all finishing their last 5 round fight. GSP doesnt go to decision bc its five rounds he does it to play it safe.... in a 3 round title fight GSP still doesnt finish IMO Phone Post

I agree with Chael. Five round fights are an entirely different animal.

P.s. chael wants 3 rounds because then he would have beaten anderson... he wishes he could erase the fifth round after that fight. Phone Post

Jack Skellington - Chael Sonnen said it right when he said the same thing. A fighter's mentallity changes when he knows he could have to fight 5 rounds.

Two great examples of this are GSP & Jose Aldo. Both are 2 of the most talented fighters ever to compete in the sport of MMA. And before winning each respective title both men were fantastic finishers. GSP looked outstanding in his stoppage wins over Sherk, Trigg etc ... But now he's best known for talking his fights to decisions, with 5 of his last 6 wins came via decision.

And with Aldo he looked like one of the best on the planet when he debuted in the WEC winning 6 straight by stoppage (including his title win) But after winning the title he fights like a different fighter winning the next 4 straight but with only 1 stoppage & 3 by decision. 

I was stunned when the UFC changed the rules to allow 5 round non-title fights in main events now. As much as I love to watch mma, I love watching finishes and with this new rule, you're gonna see less finished fights, not more.

my 2 cents

Ya I wonder why Chael said that..

And Chael is a perfect example of why a fight should be 5 rounds. Phone Post

EnderTL - 
Jack Skellington - Chael Sonnen said it right when he said the same thing. A fighter's mentallity changes when he knows he could have to fight 5 rounds.

my 2 cents
Ya I wonder why Chael said that..

And Chael is a perfect example of why a fight should be 5 rounds. Phone Post
perhaps, but he's right

if Diaz/Penn is 5 rounds it will go to decision, but if it's 3 rounds it probably won't