Allistar COULD be the best...but just hype for now

Overeem's recent wins [past 3 years] are equivalent to getting promoted in job title but making the same salary.

Overeem was a legit fighter in Pride.
He lost here and there but he was fighting top notch competition, so that comes with the territory.
I for one would still love to see him fight.........against guys that matter.
I think he is incredibly gifted and fun to watch, but hell he wont fight anyone worth a damn.

Lately he's fought guys that only keep him moving in a lateral direction, while he keeps getting more belts.
In reality what is this proving of his fighting skills....that he can beat guys that other guys can beat?
If other guys are beating the same guys he is beating, why is it he keeps getting thrown in higher up on the rankings.

Basically all that was proven last night was if that things had fallen through with Overeem for yesterdays fight for whatever reason, Mike Russow could potentially be the new Dream Heavyweight Champion....

Put it in perspective?

STFU

Agree. For example if someone is #5 in the world and they beat someone who is #100 that doesnt make them go up any higher in the rankings.

I agree I don't want to say overreem isn't top 10 or 5 until he fights one of strikeforces top heavyweights Phone Post

logic has no place here...dont you know rankings are based on potential and not what you've done in the past?

I'm just tired of it.  Tired of the excuses, the what ifs, etc..  We've been talking about Reem #1 for a while now.  The way I look at it now is this.  Brock lost, Fedor lost, Cain, well he's now going to be out half the year or more.  The Reem holds 2 MMA title belts now, and won K-1.  I don't have the strength to argue that he's not #1 now. 

I'm starting to come around I think he could be top 5 after that striking performance

A Dingo Ate My Creepy -  I'm just tired of it.  Tired of the excuses, the what ifs, etc..  We've been talking about Reem #1 for a while now.  The way I look at it now is this.  Brock lost, Fedor lost, Cain, well he's now going to be out half the year or more.  The Reem holds 2 MMA title belts now, and won K-1.  I don't have the strength to argue that he's not #1 now. 

Cain's going to be out for a year and a half, so Overeem is #1?

Oh logic. Only in MMA can you be #1 P4P based on potential and success in different sports.

To beat low / mid-tier competition is one thing, but to obliterate and completely walk through it is another.

MMAth clearly doesn't work, but to say that we can't draw some conclusions from common opponents is silly. Rogers gave Fedor a fight and Reem ragdolled him. Fedor is no longer the emperor, but he is certainly top 10.

I can certainly understand not giving him #1, top 3, or even top 5, but to say Reem is not top 10 is crazy talk IMHO.

...I had this all typed up and then took a quick look at Reem's record and Rogers is the only "legit" opponent Reem has fought in MMA in the last 2 years...

The K-1 title is impressive and he just looks like a straight up beast, but is that enough to be top 10? I'm saying yes...

DamnSevern -  logic has no place here...dont you know rankings are based on potential and not what you've done in the past?

Of course, all sports work that way. The Superbowl, for instance, is awarded to the team that has the most potential ... you don't actually to win games to get it. Same with the World Series, Stanley Cup, FIFA World Cup.

If athletes actually had to compete to win things rather than just going on potential it would lead to chaos.

In fact, right now I can tell you that Usain Bolt should be the NFL MVP, because he's clearly faster than anyone in the NFL and would easily score three touchdowns per game if he played in the NFL.

georgejonesjr - 
DamnSevern -  

In fact, right now I can tell you that Usain Bolt should be the NFL MVP, because he's clearly faster than anyone in the NFL and would easily score three touchdowns per game if he played in the NFL.

This is a very good analogy

I'm not saying Cain being out makes him #1, but adding that on top of the Reem debate for the past, I don't know, two years.  That puts it over the top for me.  The same reasons I've always stood behind the UFC champ, ie it was a title, being defended a lot, well now Reem has 2 MMA titles.  I used to argue UFC heavies were more active, but Reem's fought how many times the past month?  And obviously nobody WANTS to fight him or Coker would have a fight lined up. 

Just saying in the long term debate over Overeem being #1, I've been worn down and am believing it now.  It's not one thing that did it.  But he's still standing, and still fighting, and winning titles. 

If Dirk Nowitzki would have never registered his name to the NBA draft, and won 8 championships in a row in Germany and won MVP every year.
Could we really say he is the best player in the world?

If being a K-1 champ makes you number one in MMA, does that mean Ishii (who just beat Jerome Le Banner and in MMA) is now a top 10 MMA fighter?

OP is doing one last bit of 10ing before the new year.