Alternate Mouth Piece

New to the UG guys....take it easy!!

Wanted to point out something i noticed on last nights TUF. Do fighters normally have alternate mouth pieces when fighting? If frank lester had an alternate mouth piece there would have been less time wasted during breaks when situations like this occur.

nope. some guys have personalized mouthpieces, some are very expensive, and the odds aren't good that you'll need two.

they made it work.

ttt for a good answer...They're like $100 a piece!

i'm willing to bet that the ufc had a good mouthpiece made for them as part of being on the show....

Thanks for answers guys. But this is a profesional sport and regardless how much a mouth piece costs.......they should be prepaired. just doesnt make me think that because they cost $100 dollars for a mouthpiece is a great reason for not being prepaired. it could be detrimental to a fight. any time messing around with a mouthpiece is a complete waste of time. it can give a fighter that may be gassed time to catch his breath.......Thats Not Good!! obviously!! I just figured that this happened because it was on TUF. but from what i'm hearing from you guys.....they are just too expensive to have two......even in the big leagues.

good first post.

You can order a Gladiator Elite guard from www.customguards.com

Mine came out to $88 which included the shipping. You can get a replacement guard for half price.

They mold it to fit your teeth perfectly. Definitely worth it.

XxTheIconxX - New to the UG guys....take it easy!!

Wanted to point out something i noticed on last nights TUF. Do fighters normally have alternate mouth pieces when fighting? If frank lester had an alternate mouth piece there would have been less time wasted during breaks when situations like this occur.

but that would violate the whole purpose of "losing" your mouthpiece during a fight :)

Most commissions require having a back-up.

by the time they dug the backup out they couldve just pulled the teeth out, its not like youll expect to have teeth lodged in your mouthgaurd

JNM - You can order a Gladiator Elite guard from www.customguards.com

Mine came out to $88 which included the shipping. You can get a replacement guard for half price.

They mold it to fit your teeth perfectly. Definitely worth it.

This

www.customguards.com

Tell 'em I sent you and they will hook you up...

I always take at least 2 some times 3. I have 2 custom fit mouth peices and I try to take a boil and bite shock doctor just as a back up.

edited for spelling

TheOne - by the time they dug the backup out they couldve just pulled the teeth out, its not like youll expect to have teeth lodged in your mouthgaurd

ummmmm......This is a combat sport!! they should plan for getting thier teeth lodged in thier mouthgaurd!!

I got a chincheck and it was perfect....I don't have it and won't mention why because it brings horrible, terrible no-good feelings back to me. :( A custom guard is the ONLY way to go.

And yes, I woud imagine that Zuffa had each fighter prefitted for mouthpieces. Whether or not that fighter put it in his bag that morning before the fights is another story. Sometimes, there is so much going on, that small things like that can get overlooked.

In Ca, you are required to have a back up mouth piece by the commission although i have been in corners where the commission guys asked to see both and sometimes they dont ask at all. I remember one guy only had one and the commission guy said he would let it slide because it was his pro debut but he needs another one for his next fight.

bgup619 - In Ca, you are required to have a back up mouth piece by the commission although i have been in corners where the commission guys asked to see both and sometimes they dont ask at all. I remember one guy only had one and the commission guy said he would let it slide because it was his pro debut but he needs another one for his next fight.

This makes the most sense. but i guess i just feel this should be regulated. No big Deal.....just curious.

thanks for all the answeres UG!!

XxTheIconxX - 
TheOne - by the time they dug the backup out they couldve just pulled the teeth out, its not like youll expect to have teeth lodged in your mouthgaurd

ummmmm......This is a combat sport!! they should plan for getting thier teeth lodged in thier mouthgaurd!!

Are you serious? Do you know how hard you have to be hit to knock 4 teeth out and get lodged in your mouthpeice?! And don't say their fake he should've known. Lester has obviosly fought with them before and had no issues. Please refrain from posting nonsense like this in the future.

What are you 12? My little nephew puts Xx's in front of his screenames?

XxTheIconxX - Thanks for answers guys. But this is a profesional sport and regardless how much a mouth piece costs.......they should be prepaired. just doesnt make me think that because they cost $100 dollars for a mouthpiece is a great reason for not being prepaired. it could be detrimental to a fight. any time messing around with a mouthpiece is a complete waste of time. it can give a fighter that may be gassed time to catch his breath.......Thats Not Good!! obviously!! I just figured that this happened because it was on TUF. but from what i'm hearing from you guys.....they are just too expensive to have two......even in the big leagues.

Well shit, maybe if we're lucky Dana will give away "free alternate mouthpieces" in addition to Submission/KO/Fight of the night bonuses!

Otherwise, I wouldn't really worry about 43 extra seconds between a round, especially since it's not like the prepared fighter is forced to do jumping jacks while he's waiting for the other guy to be prepared, lol.