Alternate Uniform Approved for HS Wrestling

now that I think about it what's the history of the singlet? maybe it was a conservative thing, just some material to cover up and get away from the nude wrestling thing.

Marlo Sansfield -
Soul Gravy - How does this help with body image issues? It's still skin tight.

It covers up the entire upper body and the "shorts designed for wrestling" I think are board shorts for kids who don't want their dick and balls exposed.

do wrestlers not wear cups??

I hope they stay away from board shorts. There shouldn't be anything that can be pulled.

This is a big deal for the sport of MMA

42091120969 - 

Aren't these already legal? Thought they were called a doublet, I saw them on wwsport when I was wrestling 

In off season tournaments, wrestlers can wear shorts and go shirtless. No head gear required either. It's the in season that's being described above

I'm not sure I buy the argument of the singlet discourages kids from participating, at any sort of a meaningful level. If you want to wrestle, and ringworm, multiple injuries, the brutality of the culture, etc doesn't discourage you, I'd be surprised to learn the attire would.

Bout time. I remember being a kid and wearing the required uniform was a major piece of resistance for me.

Moist Gracie -
Jhay -
Marlo Sansfield -
Soul Gravy - How does this help with body image issues? It's still skin tight.

It covers up the entire upper body and the "shorts designed for wrestling" I think are board shorts for kids who don't want their dick and balls exposed.

do wrestlers not wear cups??

Nope. 

In 7th grade I was crushing hard on this one girl who used to work the scoring table. After a match one day she asked me if I wore a cup. She put her hand up to her mouth when I told her I didn't. 

Its the balls. My blessing, my curse. 

Sounds like you're more taters than meat.

Better still be allowed to wear thong straps and uniforms tight enough to show off our thongs. Would be so fucking gay to change that 

Don't like this at all. If you think wearing a singlet is gay then wrestling is not for you. It's not a damn fashion show it's about the best one on one competition youth/high school sports have to offer. Think your tough? Get on the mat, your team can't save you, your mommy can't save you. Even you succeed or your counting the lights in the gym ceiling

CoughSyrupOD - Bout time. I remember being a kid and wearing the required uniform was a major piece of resistance for me.

Bingo. I played ice hockey growing up and was constantly asked by the wrestling coach to join the team because I was really small but strong for my size. I couldn't bare the thought of my tiny wiener being on display, it wasn't my fault though, my brother was hung like a mule and talked so much shit it made me self conscious. 

theINFAMOUScarpe - 

Don't like this at all. If you think wearing a singlet is gay then wrestling is not for you. It's not a damn fashion show it's about the best one on one competition youth/high school sports have to offer. Think your tough? Get on the mat, your team can't save you, your mommy can't save you. Even you succeed or your counting the lights in the gym ceiling

Times, tastes,  and people change.   There has obviously been enough noise about a change to the singlet requirement for things to come to this.

The outfit has nothing to do with toughness.  Maybe now more kids will get into wrestling, which is a good thing.

People lost their shit when the blue uniform was added to judo. 

In 5 years the only people complaining about not wearing singlets will be the old people.    This is agood thing.

This is way overdue. I 100% believe that the singlet itself is discouraging to male athletes, and there is no reason at all to continue using it. Board shorts and a rashguard are totally adequate.

Someone asked if wrestlers wear cups. Usually not.

As far as safety gear, a mouthpiece makes more sense than headgear or cups, but most of us used nothing but the mandatory singlet, mandatory headgear, and shoes of course.

You don't want snowflakes wrestling anyway. Keep the singlets, get rid of these pussies who are too afraid to wrestle bc the uniform.

Hoyce Chopino - You don't want snowflakes wrestling anyway. Keep the singlets, get rid of these pussies who are too afraid to wrestle bc the uniform.

Bingo

Yea this was much needed. Not everybody wants to wear that gay shit. Its why I never joined the wrestling team even though I could pin members on it.

They have tried this in several places already. It made absolutely no difference. My highschool team had them briefly, as did many American Colleges. Everyone went back to the singlets.

View post on imgur.com

Even the nerd in the breakfast club knew singlets were kinda weird. 

theINFAMOUScarpe -

What difference does it make?