Alton's Pee

I think I'm gonna try a batch of Alton's Curried Split Pea Soup for lunch today. I'll report back later.

I've never had split pea soup, but it looked good on the show, and I need to use the new blender thingy.

The verdict...

Delicious, but messy. I need a lesson on how to use the hand blender. I had split pea soup everywhere... The stove, the walls, me. It looked like a scene from The Exorcist.

I don't know if it was Alton or someone else who had the idea, but you can make a universal lid with an old dollar store frisbee.  Cut a slit to the center, then make a hole in the middle to put the stem of your hand blender in.  Then cover your pot or whatever with the lid and you have the handle sticking up ready to use.  That will take care of any splatters.  Paper plates and stuff can be used in a pinch.

To not splash the only thing that's ever worked for me is to make sure what I'm blending is deep enough.  Too shallow and I get a blender vortex that will go to the blades and splatter me.  But a deeper container lets me keep it all where it needs to be.

I've been on a fullout curry kick lately.  Curry chicken salad, curry powder on everything, and like 5 different curry soups from the Asian market.  I'm eating cleaner than normal because of it and feel way better.  Only downside is even the tiniest fart is as potent as Zyclon B.  I woke my wife up with a sleeping Dutch Oven last night. 

I made this a couple of weeks ago and I thought it was excellent.