Am I the only one who misses the RPG in ME2?

So, I just picked up Mass Effect 2, and while I enjoy the continuation of the story, the improved graphics, stronger interaction system... I find myself missing the skill trees, range of different abilities and the gear.

Now, I understand how some of it came about, the best way to fix the nightmare of inventory was to remove it all together! Also, in a lot of ways, having weapons that are a FUCK TON better than other weapons doesn't make that much sense.

But... I guess I'm missing the variety, build and gearing of the first game.

Am I the only one?

Also, in before 'Roleplaying is about choices'.

I know that.

But modern roleplaying games are about skill/builds and gear, and I'm missing it.

Why are classical FPS-es becoming more like RPGs and the RPG/FPS hybrids removing more of the RPG from it?

TSM: I'm just of the opinion of 'Fuck accessibility'. The people who didn't play ME1 didn't play it because of the TALKING... Not the gear or skills.

Kai Tremeche - So, I just picked up Mass Effect 2, and while I enjoy the continuation of the story, the improved graphics, stronger interaction system... I find myself missing the skill trees, range of different abilities and the gear.

Now, I understand how some of it came about, the best way to fix the nightmare of inventory was to remove it all together! Also, in a lot of ways, having weapons that are a FUCK TON better than other weapons doesn't make that much sense.

But... I guess I'm missing the variety, build and gearing of the first game.

Am I the only one?
You're not alone.  I loved the game, but missed the complexity of the first one in terms of gear and items/abilities.  After a while, i didn't feel like hacking the computer for another couple thousand credits, as soon as i saw the number value you know its nothing but cash.

Me, I liked having SEEING different armor, different guns, flavor text to read. I liked having to balance Ammo types, figure out the right mix of abilities and skills on my teams.

By taking away abilities, they took away options in battle. I miss having a variety of buffs and debuffs.

Using powers for knocking down shields, allowing more shots from my weapons, picking my ammo so it does more damage against synthetics.

Now it's almost straight shooter.

The more I think about it, the more I'm disappointed.

The number of powers on the Biotic side was kinda weak in the first one, and I think they tried to figure out better ones for the second game and decided that a less is more idea solved the inventory bitching and the biotic problem.

What can I say, I like to micromanage.

Kai Tremeche - TSM: I'm just of the opinion of 'Fuck accessibility'. The people who didn't play ME1 didn't play it because of the TALKING... Not the gear or skills.

I agree, I couldn't finish ME1 because of all the talking.

puddlesmith - 
Kai Tremeche - TSM: I'm just of the opinion of 'Fuck accessibility'. The people who didn't play ME1 didn't play it because of the TALKING... Not the gear or skills.

when i read that, my head wants to explode...  It's like saying "I bet this book is great, but i couldn't deal with all those words..."

Do you really value constant killing and explosions over an awesome plot/story that makes you care about whats going on?

OmegaPoon - 
puddlesmith - 

when i read that, my head wants to explode...  It's like saying "I bet this book is great, but i couldn't deal with all those words..."

Do you really value constant killing and explosions over an awesome plot/story that makes you care about whats going on?

I'm not a huge fan of walking around a city for 2-3 hours talking to a bunch of NPC I don't care about. Plus the actually FPS part of ME1 was clunky at best. I just wasn't able to keep going with the game. I'd say I played at least 12 hours, 8 of those was probably talking to people.

TSMontana - 
Then, I'm just of the opinion we are telling developers to not spend the big bucks on traditional RPG's, as they aren't going to bring in the revenue to justify such future projects. ME2 is going to eclipse ME1 in sales, so the changes they made are the difference, not the story...besides you still can "gear" your squad...it's just a lot more fun and easier to manage. :-)

No, I fully think I'm in the minority and that others are enjoying the new style of game better. I'm just being that whiny minority.

I guess I'll go back to playing FFT for the 19th time and Dragonage... After I beat ME2.

The things I don't like are the much smaller skill trees and the way missions are segmented like they are, with the closing screen etc. I don't miss inventory at all really. Most RPGs, like Fallout, you end up spending half your time in inventory and map screens which really isn't fun or immersive in any way I'm interested in.

orcus -  The things I don't like are the much smaller skill trees and the way missions are segmented like they are, with the closing screen etc. I don't miss inventory at all really. Most RPGs, like Fallout, you end up spending half your time in inventory and map screens which really isn't fun or immersive in any way I'm interested in.

if you spend half your fallout time in the inventory you're playing it wrong.

OmegaPoon - 
orcus -  The things I don't like are the much smaller skill trees and the way missions are segmented like they are, with the closing screen etc. I don't miss inventory at all really. Most RPGs, like Fallout, you end up spending half your time in inventory and map screens which really isn't fun or immersive in any way I'm interested in.

if you spend half your fallout time in the inventory you're playing it wrong.

Actually he's right, because you really have no idea how valuable a particular piece of inventory or skill set is until you beat the game. On the second run through, you know most of the shit is worthless...but at first, you hold on to everything, thinking you are going to need it in the future. The developers should simply remove those items. There is no reason to have sticks, matchboxes, and beer cans in every box you open.

I wish i knew why i never liked the first of these games, but hearing about these aspects of ME2 makes me want to play even less. 

And again, that's something I never really minded all that much. Now, the inventory management in Fallout3 was a huge pain but the gear was very black and white. You knew what ammo to carry, you just picked up gear that was worth money.

I didn't have a problem dealing with the inventory and skill trees of the first game. But I still found I enjoyed the slimmed down system of the second one better.

I liked the fact that when you got a gun it was available to everyone. It seemed fitting that an organisation like Cerberus could replicate a standard weapon and produce a few more of them for the other squad members.

I also appreciated how characters only carried weapons they were proficient with. It seemed strange in the first game that people who were only trained in pistols would be forced to carry sniper rifles and assault rifles on their backs at all times.

I preferred the new armour system, where you could mix and match individual pieces and choose how it all looked (I went with a fetching blue and purple colour scheme). Though I think they should have let you mix and match bits of the Inferno and Blood Dragon armour as well, rather than making them each only exist as a full suit. They could maybe have included a set bonus if they wanted to encourage people to keep them together.

The new skill system was fine with me. Having more squares in each bar just makes each square feel less important - because it only gives you a very small percentage increase. Whereas with fewer squares you feel more of a sense of gratification when you obtain each one.   

puddlesmith - 

Is sarcasms?

Okay the game just turned the corner. I was increasingly tepid on this game, until I got into the second disk.

While I miss the increased complexity in all game components in ME1: from character interaction (Loyalty),skill tree, weapons, locations and missions... The characters in ME2 are much more compelling and the story has really picked up.

Spoiler:
Once I fought the Geth again to get Tali, I felt the game finally doubled back around and touched on everything that made the game fun. Up until that point, the game seemed to be just treading water.

I'm playing through ME1 for the wife right now, and I'm starting to understand the complaints. The Inventory system for weapons (Reaper Sniper Rifle I, II, III, IV) is more annoying that I remember, the armor is not so bad because you have a lot less choices. I still like the ammo and upgrade system, I miss having Phasic/Photonic or Radioactive rounds in the second game, but carrying around weapons you can't use is just dumb dumb dumb.

Also the battles were much more brutal in the first game. There's very few snipers in the second game, there aren't many of those damn flying drones and Sweet-Jesus do those wall climbing snipers and Geth Armatures/Collusus suck to fight. There's quite a few times where I'm the one wandering into a shooting gallery where I gotta fight 5-7 geth down in the Gallery and I have 2-4 Geth up somewhere shooting sniper rifles and rockets at me... Which is awesome. The Geth also drop those ground shields tons more too. Hardcore ME1 > Insanity ME2.

However, the AI is quite a bit smarter in the second game. Also, having the Melee on a button and much better control over using cover was a nice touch in ME2.

I'm playing as a Infiltrator again and I still like the skills better. I missed having Sabotage and Dampening... It seems that the powers are so much more necessary in ME1.

Also the game's links to the KotOR games are much more obvious and the graphics are a clear step back.

I also don't like how the shields now in ME2 are pretty much ripped off from Halo. Right down to the time it takes for them to reconstitute.

ttt