AMA about tattoos, tattoo artists and conventions.

I have an unusual amount of knowledge about tattooing. Primarily on contemporary tattoo artists, what makes a good tattoo and conventions.

Do you ever feel that people are going a little overboard with tattoos? Phone Post 3.0

John highland / 12 monkeys ...tracy california

http://www.12monkeysonline.com Phone Post 3.0

Why is Hell City in Arizona during the summer and Columbus during the winter?

What is your favorite convention? Do you prefer the rotary or the coil?

Please list your recommended artist for:

Color Realism, Black and Gray Portrait, Black and Gray fine line, Ornamental, New School, Neo Traditional, etc...

Who have you collected pieces from?

Both my best friend and my wife are tattoo artists. I know more than one should. One I'd neo traditional and the other not realism Phone Post 3.0

Dead President - Do you ever feel that people are going a little overboard with tattoos? Phone Post 3.0

I do on many levels. I think it's become a rite of passage for most people. I personally believe it shows people that fashionable things pass and you look stupid with a pinterest tattoo. I also believe that some people want to feel validated as a "tattooed person" and get covered really fast. I'm blown away by some of the people with almost body suits before their 30's.

Do you have a recommendation for a realism artist from the St. Louis area?

lormpino - John highland / 12 monkeys ...tracy california

http://www.12monkeysonline.com Phone Post 3.0

I had lefty do a chest piece on me over there.

As to Hell City- I imagine it has to do with money as demand for convention halls in AZ in the summer are low.

My favorite convention-I love the Paradise Tattoo Gathering, there is a really powerful atmosphere there. I also really enjoy European tattoo conventions, they are on another level than American ones.

Rotatary vs Coil- I dont tattoo, but getting tattooed I prefer to get tattooed by rotaries. The lack of noise factor seems to allow me to relax a little better. I have had a couple of unpleasant snags when getting tattooed by the Hawk though.

Color Realism- Nikko Hurtado if you can afford him, he's easily the best. I'm in the North East so I'd have to say Evan Olin out of Powerline Tattoo.

Black and Gray Portrait- I've been really blown away by Ralf Nonweiler. I also really enjoy Matteo Pasqualin's work. In the united states I enjoy all the guys at Ink Slingers, Seven Tattoo and uhh that new studio that Fernie works at which I'm blanking on -.-

Black and Gray fine line- I can't make a great recommendation.

Ornamental- I like Bio-organic so Guy Aitchison, Markus Lenhard. I also really dig Watson Atkinson's take on black and grey work...also can never leave out Thomas Hooper.

New School- Kelly Doty or Matt Driscoll.

Neo Traditional- Diego Apu is my favorite just because he's such a rad guy.

Who have I collected from? Watson Atkinson, Matt Stebly, Matt Driscoll, Max Rothert, Bonnie (italian artist), Matteo Pasqualin.

I plan on getting more work from: Victor Chil, Markus Lenhard, Lous' Lips and Davee Blows.

MrChainBlueLightning - Do you have a recommendation for a realism artist from the St. Louis area?

Nope, I recommend planning a trip to Hell City or any of Shane O'neill's conventions to find a great realism artist.

My good buddy just got a piece from Markus when he was visiting Of the Map in Oregon. I got a Kelly Doty joint last week. She did a rad voodoo chick on my thigh. Phone Post 3.0

What's the dumbest tattoo you have ever seen? Phone Post 3.0

MrChainBlueLightning - Do you have a recommendation for a realism artist from the St. Louis area?
I'm from that area.
Try washington tattoo collective. The guy there has some amazing pieces imo. May not be what you are looking for though. But last time I checked he was booked till spring.

http://www.scarboroughtattoo.com/gallery/292667 Phone Post 3.0

siebe41 - 
MrChainBlueLightning - Do you have a recommendation for a realism artist from the St. Louis area?
I'm from that area.
Try washington tattoo collective. The guy there has some amazing pieces imo. May not be what you are looking for though. But last time I checked he was booked till spring.

Thanks, will check it out. It won't hurt my feelings to ride through Washington on my motorcycle this time of year.

Hocky Balboa - What's the dumbest tattoo you have ever seen? Phone Post 3.0

Anytime I go to public places like amusement parks or zoo's I'm blown away by the shitty quality of tattoos. Outside of just poor quality tattoos. I've seen a tattoo of cocks, vaginas and cum to look like a bio organic piece. I was bummed mostly because it was done by so many good artists.

Phuck Phace - My good buddy just got a piece from Markus when he was visiting Of the Map in Oregon. I got a Kelly Doty joint last week. She did a rad voodoo chick on my thigh. Phone Post 3.0

ha, cool I saw that on instagram I just followed you.

How large is your penis? Girth wise? Phone Post 3.0

MrChainBlueLightning -
siebe41 - 
I'm from that area.

Thanks, will check it out. It won't hurt my feelings to ride through Washington on my motorcycle this time of year.
Yeah its been beautiful the last few days. Wish I was back in that area. Could get some football games going.

Back on topic. I had several people recommend that shop when I was looking to get my first tat done. Ended up going somewhere a bit closed to school and open much sooner. Phone Post 3.0

Hate420 - How large is your penis? Girth wise? Phone Post 3.0

Poker chip.

Does hunchy bird haunt your dreams like it does mine?