Amber Alert on smartphone, Invading Privacy? wow!

Who thinks this?
It's a harsh subject but I don't mind if I get waken up or disturbed for a kid missing or kidnapped and I might be able to help out.
There are other people who think otherwise though. Read this article.

Smartphone Amber Alert Freaks Out Everyone In California

Russ went to bed early, setting “do not disturb” mode on his iPhone so no one could wake him up. His phone did wake him up, though, screeching and lighting up with an Amber Alert message about abducted children in a different part of the state. He asked Consumerist: how can he make these unwanted text messages stop?
What Russ got wasn’t a text message. It was part of the Wireless Emergency Alert System, or WEA. That’s a Federal Communications Commission program that zaps alerts about man-made or natural disasters, urgent messages from the President, and Amber Alerts directly to your phone. When the aliens invade or when a tornado full of poisonous spiders (call me, SyFy) approaches your city, this is how the government will let us know.
The alerts are meant to get your attention: that’s good when you’re listening to music in the basement and there’s a local flood warning, but not so much in Russ’s case. “The Amber Alert was for someone in Southern California and I live in Northern California,” he grumbled. “Why cant I opt out of this system that seems to harass me at the worst of times…?”
If you don’t want to get the alerts, you can turn them off. It would be nice if carriers made them opt-in, but Russ’s carrier, AT&T, didn’t. It was part of a June software update for iPhone users on AT&T. Just scroll to the bottom of the “Notifications” menu if you’re on an iPhone.
Android users whose phones have WEA have more control (as usual) over what alerts they receive, and can filter out the least urgent weather and child abduction alerts. The alerts are part of the Messaging app, and you can modify which alerts you receive through that app’s settings.

I was a bit annoyed at first seeing as the blue versa was all over the new already but I understand it. If I really want "do not disturb" status I just turn my cell off.

Russ sounds like a crybaby bitch. Who fucking complains that much about an amber alert message?

MARC BULGER - I'm fine with it. Children before all. Phone Post
This and the fucking option to turn it off in the alerts section of the settings.

Woke me up to. I turned it off and prayed for those kids. Phone Post 3.0

See the funny thing is...some people will cry and bitch but when its one of their family members they would say "Call 911, let them do the statewide Amber on the phones right now!!"

I'd always would want to help just to avoid what could happen to the child. Rape, torture or even death. So sad

the is ONE invasion of privacy I have no problem supporting. Imagine how effective that could be if it was your KID missing? 10,000 people in the immediate area getting a txt about it?

Didn't bother me one bit. I'm all for it Phone Post

I agree with these last two posts.

By the way, I just received the Amber Alert message for the second time. Once last night, one a couple minutes ago. Phone Post 3.0

Absolutely ridiculous that you can't turn it off. If my carrier didn't have an opt-out, I'd switch carriers. Phone Post

Thing is, if some dude is sleeping he will be pissed it woke him up and won't even remember the Lic plate and shit later when he wakes up. I think it is a cool feature, but also I am glad you can tun it off.

iPhone you can turn it off.

Settings>notifications. At the bottom Phone Post 3.0

Does it only happen on iPhones my girlfriend, brother and his girlfriend all got it and have iphones i didnt i have a galaxy Phone Post

my first reaction is i don't want to be woke up for this shit. after more thought, i would want it done if i had a child that was kidnapped. i think a option to turn it off would be nice but i would keep it on because i would hope others would do it also if it was my child

Yeah I thought it was weird . Last night was the first time I've had that happen Phone Post 3.0

Fuck Russ and his beauty sleep.

Wardance5 - Does it only happen on iPhones my girlfriend, brother and his girlfriend all got it and have iphones i didnt i have a galaxy Phone Post
No, my buddy got one and he has some older droid phone(droid 2 I think). Phone Post 3.0

Drunkie - my first reaction is i don't want to be woke up for this shit. after more thought, i would want it done if i had a child that was kidnapped. i think a option to turn it off would be nice but i would keep it on because i would hope others would do it also if it was my child
This Phone Post 3.0

I have an iPhone and didn't get it. Phone Post 3.0

MrFluffyHippo - iPhone you can turn it off.

Settings>notifications. At the bottom Phone Post 3.0

Not if you have AT&T. Phone Post

Golden Raptor - What bothered me is I got the same amber alert 4 times so I had to turn it off cause they wouldn't stop alerting me Phone Post 3.0

I also have the same one multiple times. It will be different getting these things damn near every day from now on but I will adjust and get used to it I suppose.