American Animation must improve!

With Marvels recent Ultimates movies this is clear! They have to have studios in the us where artists can come up with a new style closer to comics and anime but without its sterotypes.

US animation is actually pretty decent right now, with the adult swim, Samurai Jack/Clone Wars stuff

US animation does not need a style "closer to anime". That's why we already have anime, it's got its own style. Honestly I prefer an adult Clint Eastwood type character such as Wolverine or Punisher instead of the Leonardo Di Caprio teen idol faced characters popular in anime.

Actually, I really wish it was the other way around.  Being 31 I really don't relate to these baby-faced characters but I think anime is really cool and wish there would be more influence by US characters such as say Wolverine so that they would mature the features of these anime characters for the older fans.

"US animation is actually pretty decent right now, with the adult swim, Samurai Jack/Clone Wars stuff"

WHAT???!!!

I think the point is that the Ultimate Avengers was kinda crappy, which I agree. I watch Akira or Appleseed or any cool anime and it trounces UA.

And it doesn't have to be kiddy. Look at Blood the Last Vampire or Ninja Scroll.

US animation does not need a style "closer to anime". That's why we already have anime, it's got its own style.

Anime isn't a style. Anime is animation that orginates in Japan. Sytlistically, it is extremely diverse. Speculating about what anime "is", based on what is seen and available outside of Japan is roughly the same as looking at a triangle and drawing conclusions about the Great Pyramid at Giza. That's point number one.

Point number two is simply, by defintion, US animation cannot be anime. US animation can be influenced by anime in the same way that US comic books can be influenced by manga, but that's another discussion.

IDIOT.

The best US animation can be seen in old 80's cartoons. The intro to Thundercats or Silverhawks. G.I.JOE the Movie (awsome intro as well), that old X-Men pilot " Pryde of the X-Men" was great.

"The best US animation can be seen in old 80's cartoons. The intro to Thundercats or Silverhawks. G.I.JOE the Movie (awsome intro as well), that old X-Men pilot 'Pryde of the X-Men' was great."

That's because they outsourced it to Korea, lol

LOL, well there you go.

"Anime isn't a style. Anime is animation that originates in Japan. Stylisticly...." Funny how while pointing out my wrongness the first word you choose to use is "Stylisitcly. I never said anime is a style, I said its got its own style.

Point #2 you go on to assume I could not possibly know what I'm talking about having never been to the Motherland getting secret access to the "Real" anime.  Guess what I just got back from Japan; Tokyo to be precise and yea, I took in a few anime/manga shops while there, not to mention the Hayao Miyazaki museum which was great!

And finally guess what, some of the same animation that is currently popular here, "Naruto" for example, is still really popular in Japan.  So anime fans not in Japan still have access to popular anime.  

Oh, and all I was saying is that I like the mature features of American characters vs. the all to common baby faced samurai found in Anime/Manga.  

I don't want to get into a geek war or anything, I'm no expert on the subject, just a casual fan defending my opinion.

TODD MCFARLANE

I never said anime is a style, I said its got its own style.

My point is that anime is too broad and diverse to be encompassed in a singular "style".

And finally guess what, some of the same animation that is currently popular here, "Naruto" for example, is still really popular in Japan. So anime fans not in Japan still have access to popular anime.

To say that North American fans have access to popular anime is, at best, inaccurate. You might argue that North American fans have access to some popular anime, but certainly not all (fans or anime). Then take into account how much of what is shown in North America and the degree to which it has been edited, and I wouldn't say that's even remotely a true statement.

I don't want to get into a geek war or anything, I'm no expert on the subject, just a casual fan defending my opinion.

Feel free to defend your opinion as strongly as you like. We'll give you a fair amount of leeway here on the GG.

For example, people in North America have had access to Sailor Moon --- at least some of the saga has been broadcast on tv. But Sailor Moon has been edited to such a high degree, that I don't know anyone who would say that someone who's watched Sailor Moon on tv in North America has truly seen the Sailor Moon series.

AFAIK, only Anime Network and AZN have committed to airing anime uncut. Cartoon Network reserves the right to edit anime they broadcast, even during their "adult swim" timeslot.

Feel free to defend your opinions (even vigorously defend your opinions). We'll give you a good amount of leeway here on the GG. I'm no expert either, just another casual fan.

One thing I think we can both agree on is the animation of Marvel's "Ultimates" movies has been sub-par. My guess is that animation is still perceived as "for kids" or "comedy only" in the US, so the-powers-that-be aren't willing to spend a great deal of time and money into producing high quality work. But that may be changing. The Hellboy animated movie and the new Fantastic Four animated series might raise the bar.

"The best US animation can be seen in old 80's cartoons. The intro to Thundercats or Silverhawks. G.I.JOE the Movie (awsome intro as well), that old X-Men pilot 'Pryde of the X-Men' was great."

lol, watch the credits on any of those cartoons. there's nary a roundeye in the lot.

Most anime is crap. It's limited animation popped out at break neck speed for teenagers that like it when lines behind a character are what indicate 'action' instead of actual 'action'. Watch an anime TV series on mute and you'll be bored to death.

Then you have Studio Ghibli, Akira, Ghost in the Shell etc. Some very strong classics with great animation - however all backed by a big budget.

The best animation ever, technically, is old school Disney. Watch Snow White, Fantasia or Sleeping Beauty. They are ridiculous, but $$ talks and no one will but the money and time into a really cool series anymore.

I think the best thing out there right now on a lower budget is Adult Swim. The show 'Venture Brothers' actually has really cool animation and art in it for the budget it gets.

I was talking to a friend of mine today who is the Post Production Supervisor on Avatar about the art she gets back from India/Korea. She says they are so slammed with so many projects at once that the art she gets back is literally an experiment with how little quality the artist can get away with and still technically be doing their jobs. So even the outsourced stuff sucks balls these days.

If you are going to blame anyone, blame the actors, directors and producers who demand outrageously high salaries so there's only a weak budget left for animation.

^^I second the above rant

Spawnimation

I'm pretty sure a lot of the intros were contracted out to Japanese companies.

I believe that animation is a grossly underutilized medium in this country. It provides the creator with a huge degree of control over their work, especially in action movies where budget and technology can limit the images presentable to the viewer.

IMO the biggest problems with animation in this country are the perception of the market and the market itself. Other then the afformentioned comedy shows (which are increasing in number and are a good thing overall) animation is thought of as a 'kiddy' medium by a decent number of consumers and a large number of studios. This perception leads to bad editorial decisions by the higher ups at the studios (ultimate avengers) and lower budgets. Which makes peoples perceptions self fulfilling.

Animation is not as pidgeonholed in Japan which is why you can see such a wide variety of anime projects. Not to say that all of them are good, but if the market is percieved as being bigger more projects will be made and some of these will be of very high quality.

For pure art quality check out how the characters moove in old disney and warner brothers animation. The frame rate is extremely high, which is amazing when considering the complete lack of shortcuts availible to the artists of the day. There are character designs that I like better, but the fluidity is amazing in these works.

If you really think anime is low quality watch Berserk!