American Fight League to hold Atlanta Event

from MMAJunkie

The American Fight League will head to Phillips Arena, an Atlanta-based venue that holds 21,000 spectators, for its May 30 show.

The AFL today announced the show, named "Bulletproof."

The George Athletic and Entertainment Commission recently approved the show, which will be the first-ever mixed-martial-arts event permitted to use Phillips Arena, which is home to the NHL's Atlanta Thrashers and NBA's Atlantic Hawks.

"It's an amazing opportunity for the AFL," AFL Chief Executive Officer BJ Santiago stated. "I know that other MMA organizations -- big ones -- were turned down, so we feel especially grateful to the folks at Phillips Arena for allowing us in."

In addition to its growing roster of internationally known talent, AFL executives also plan to include some Atlanta-area fighters on the fight card.

"We have athletes in our organization that are from that area and would give up a body part to get to fight in Phillips Arena," AFL Marketing Director Sean McClure stated. "It's one of those arenas that you dream of competing in when you are a kid."

As MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) reported earlier this week, the AFL recently signed UFC veteran and "The Ultimate Fighter 2" cast member Dan Christison (11-6) and WEC/IFO veteran Chilo Gonzalez (14-10) to long-term deals. They join worldwide top-10 featherweight Rafael Assuncao (12-1), former UFC fighter Junior Assuncao (6-3), AFL lightweight champion and UFC vet Diego Saraiva (11-6-1), and Douglas Lima (7-1) on the AFL roster.

Additional marquee signings are expected over the next few weeks.

tmet has been all over this on the UG.

This will be a great opportunity for us locally, and I'm sure yall will have front row seats!

How often do yall accept articles from folks that aren't on staff?

Wow, AFL on the 30th and Gainesville fights on the 31st. AIN'T NO DOUBT! Re-arranging budget and schedule now for TIX!

Friday May 30, 2008 ?

Hey CJJ,

We're always in the market for talented writers. Just shoot me your resume and a sample of your work. Contact info is on our website.

I wasn't thinking about anything full time, just kinda submitting something and seeing if it was worth printing on a one off basis. Not a journalist or anything like that, but thanks for the reply. I'll check out the website.

Scout has a way with words.........