American guys who can speak Asian languages are..

Intrinsically impressive...

senior manager for my company speaks fluent Japanese and frankly, hearing him speak, is fucking impressive. 

I asked him about it later and he told me he learned it from 40-45

Seems like a massive undertaking. 

I’d imagine it’s a very marketable skill to speak Japanese or Chinese as an American middle aged male. 

Just ranting 

bjtrashman -

senior manager for my company speaks fluent Japanese and frankly, hearing him speak, is fucking impressive. 

I’d imagine it’s a very marketable skill to speak Japanese or Chinese as an American middle aged male. 

Just ranting 

From my experience in the corporate world and Asia, the Japanese will be more impressed with you mastering their language where as the Chinese would give less of a fuck.

Either way though, you’d want to be pretty confident before busting out your language skills 

FingerorMoon -
bjtrashman -

Just ranting 

From my experience in the corporate world and Asia, the Japanese will be more impressed with you mastering their language where as the Chinese wouldn’t give a fuck about it.

I could see that. I’ve only ever worked professional with Japanese and they are blown the fuck away with it 

My brother is in his 30's and is a high school teacher in British Columbia (where a lot of Chinese people live) and speaks Mandarin. He lived in China for a few years and really tried hard to learn. He doesn't tell his students that he knows Mandarin, and when the Chinese kids bad mouth him behind his back he just gives them bad grades. He really loves to do this - he's a proud asshole.

That said, Japanese is basically a dying language. There are only 126m or so native speakers in the entire world, and the population of Japan is aging rapidly. If I had to do it all over again I might have studied Chinese instead, although I like Japanese culture a whole lot more.

mestregruber - That said, Japanese is basically a dying language. There are only 126m or so native speakers in the entire world, and the population of Japan is aging rapidly. If I had to do it all over again I might have studied Chinese instead, although I like Japanese culture a whole lot more.

Japanese have some serious footholds in the american automotive industry though. They aren’t going anywhere. I deal with these guys daily and I assume they pay very well for translators with a knowledge of the industry. I’m considering learning but have no idea if I have the ability or true want (based upon how difficult) 

I agree. 
bjtrashman -
mestregruber - That said, Japanese is basically a dying language. There are only 126m or so native speakers in the entire world, and the population of Japan is aging rapidly. If I had to do it all over again I might have studied Chinese instead, although I like Japanese culture a whole lot more.

Japanese have some serious footholds in the american automotive industry though. They aren’t going anywhere. I deal with these guys daily and I assume they pay very well for translators with a knowledge of the industry. I’m considering learning but have no idea if I have the ability or true want (based upon how difficult) 

I wouldn’t call it a dying language, it just won’t take over like everyone feared in the early 80s when Blade Runner came out lol

Japan is still one of the biggest economies on the planet and will continue to be so, even as the population reduces.

That dude is awesome 

My experience has always been ( company or job wise) that companies care more about your "business skills" or " experience" than language.

I am speaking strictly on a hiring or getting the job point of view.

On a different level knowing a language will get you a lot of social points etc within a company or business circles.

bjtrashman -
FingerorMoon -
bjtrashman -

Just ranting 

From my experience in the corporate world and Asia, the Japanese will be more impressed with you mastering their language where as the Chinese wouldn’t give a fuck about it.

I could see that. I’ve only ever worked professional with Japanese and they are blown the fuck away with it 

I knew a girl in the 90s that taught herself Japanese from books and tapes while living in rural Australia.

They were so blown away over there by that she got flown to Japan and paraded around TV variety shows and talk shows.

Thanks, man!

I have always been interested in The Orient and decided to learn the language in my 20s.

--BTW,  "ching chong ling long ching chang chong dong" which, in Oriental means:  "my very best wishes for you and your entire family"

:)

sagiv -

Hahahaha that was really awesome

Chinese , is hard doesn't master if it's Cantonese or mandrian . Speaking is one thing being able to read it is a whole other animal . 

Matter ^ engrish hawd when auto cowect fuck yew.  

Yeah, I can't imagine. I took a couple years of Spanish in High School and hated it/did very poorly.

I can't imagine the discipline and motivation it takes to become fluent in other much more difficult (for an English speaker anyway) languages.

FingerorMoon - 

I wouldn’t call it a dying language, it just won’t take over like everyone feared in the early 80s when Blade Runner came out lol

Japan is still one of the biggest economies on the planet and will continue to be so, even as the population reduces.

Yeah, I guess I am just a tad bitter because we still thought Japan was gonna recover in the late '90s when I was in college. I majored in Japanese and I work as a translator.

I agree with the poster who said other skills are more important to landing most jobs, but language proficiency can definitely make you stand out from a crowd of applicants.

I’m pretty fluent in Indonesian as I’ve been married to an Indonesian woman for 5 years and  I’ve been to Indonesia 7 times

mestregruber -
FingerorMoon - 

Yeah, I guess I am just a tad bitter because we still thought Japan was gonna recover in the late '90s when I was in college. I majored in Japanese and I work as a translator.

I agree with the poster who said other skills are more important to landing most jobs, but language proficiency can definitely make you stand out from a crowd of applicants.

Man, if you know Japanese pm my ass. I’ll get your ass a dope job. If you know anything about manufacturing, you’re going to kill it. 

I agree, it’s not the deciding factor in getting a job, but damn, it’s heavy skills.