American guys who can speak Asian languages are..

ttt

shen -

Thanks, man!

I have always been interested in The Orient and decided to learn the language in my 20s.

--BTW,  "ching chong ling long ching chang chong dong" which, in Oriental means:  "my very best wishes for you and your entire family"

:)

Ming wong achanga ching chung to you and yours brother. 

sagiv -

Awesome

Learning multiple languages is cool and can be useful, but English is pretty much the international language in the business world.

Knowing multiple languages is not as much as an advantage as it used to be, and it's becoming less important for those with English as a primary language.

I travel to China frequently and can speak some mandarin. It isn’t easy but they do seem to appritate the effort.

A kid that used to work for me taught himself to read and write Japanese he also learned to speak it with Rosetta Stone and youtube. 

Ayatolla of Rock and Rolla - 

I’m pretty fluent in Indonesian as I’ve been married to an Indonesian woman for 5 years and  I’ve been to Indonesia 7 times

I've heard that Indonesian is among the easiest languages to learn - very simple, easy to learn grammar and rules. Is that true?

The Stewed Owl -

I’m pretty fluent in Indonesian as I’ve been married to an Indonesian woman for 5 years and  I’ve been to Indonesia 7 times

I've heard that Indonesian is among the easiest languages to learn - very simple, easy to learn grammar and rules. Is that true?

I lived in Jakarta and Bali for four months.  I was surprised how much i picked up.

I have 2 cousins who are half Chinese. I know it’s not the same as the topic in the OP, but it was always so impressive to hear them speak in Chinese to their dad. 

Op = chiisai chimpo! 

Me =OKI CHIMPO 

dangerboy12 -

Learning multiple languages is cool and can be useful, but English is pretty much the international language in the business world.

Knowing multiple languages is not as much as an advantage as it used to be, and it's becoming less important for those with English as a primary language.

In europe i found that in the white collar world it is taken as a given that you speak english but they will still roll their eyes if you are from an English speaking country and only speak english.

A lot of the germans in particular seem to speak fluent french and english.

sagiv - 

There's lots of vids of this dude speaking different languages. He learns languages incredibly quickly.

FAY-FAY duh PEE-yen!

The Stewed Owl -

I would it is about as easy to learn as Spanish 

can speak thai 

banco -
dangerboy12 -

In europe i found that in the white collar world it is taken as a given that you speak english but they will still roll their eyes if you are from an English speaking country and only speak english.

Let them roll their eyes IMO. 

English is the only language you need to know.

dangerboy12 - 
banco -
dangerboy12 -

Let them roll their eyes IMO. 

English is the only language you need to know.

LOL.  They speak english because they have to, not because they want to or made some concerted effort to learn a new and mysterious language.  English is the default language of business.  Its how the business world communicates.  A German that speaks German and Englsh is nothing special.  In fact, its the bare minimum.  They've been exposed to both their entire lives.  A German that speaks German, English and Japanese is something different.

But, given that many Europeans have a tendency to be arrogant douchebags, they are likely gonna roll their eyes anyway.

Mark

PoiuPoiu - in "business" you only need to know english.

if you want to network, expand, create more opportunities, learn the language of youre suppliers.

chinese is hard because of the tones.

i found spanish and japanese easy because the rules work across the board with almost no exceptions. you learn pronunciation, tense, etc.. it works for almost all words, because the rules dont vary

This.

I worked for a Japanese company early in my career.  I was talking about personal and developmental growth with the president of the company and I suggested that I might want to learn Japanese.  He said, "Why?  English is the language of business.  We all speak English.  We spend years trying to learn English.  You are already decades ahead of us.  You should focus on other skills.  Japanese is not needed."  He was 100% correct.

Mark

Better off

I just assume they're manga-reading hentai-watching panty-sniffing train-groping perverts.