American Sniper - My Take

I went to see American Sniper yesterday with a friend from work. There was an OG thread not long ago about Chris Kyle and some twitter bashing by Seth Rogan, but that was all I really knew about the movie going in....so I was expecting this movie to be an action flick showing Kyle just wasting a bunch of people like a Chuck Norris flick from the 80s and I'd walk out of the theater feeling like I just saw Commando or something.

I've gotta tell you, that is ABSOLUTELY NOT how the film was and certainly not how I felt when I left the theater. When I got up, I couldn't even look anyone in the eye. I felt sick, welled up, like the Saving Private Ryan scene where he asks if he's a good man and if he lived a good life. It's brutal.

The takeaway from me was all about PTSD, regardless of whatever embellishments hollywood stuck in there. I have a few family members who served in Iraq - none of them died there - but one did AFTER he came back so this was like a punch in the chest. I urge you to go see this movie despite all of the people ragging on it and giving the oh so witty "'merica" commentary, or whatever people like Seth Rogan say about it.  Quite honestly, anyone who IS NOT taking away something about PTSD from this film A) has not seen it and is just echoing whatever their favorite talking heads say, B) has no empathy or might even have to be a fucking sociopath. See it for yourself and form your own opinion - it probably is nothing like what people are yacking about it on Twitter.

RIP Chris Kyle and thank you to all of our veterans, gold star moms, and first responders!

theseanster - 

I went to see American Sniper yesterday with a friend from work. There was an OG thread not long ago about Chris Kyle and some twitter bashing by Seth Rogan, but that was all I really knew about the movie going in....so I was expecting this movie to be an action flick showing Kyle just wasting a bunch of people like a Chuck Norris flick from the 80s and I'd walk out of the theater feeling like I just saw Commando or something.

I've gotta tell you, that is ABSOLUTELY NOT how the film was and certainly not how I felt when I left the theater. When I got up, I couldn't even look anyone in the eye. I felt sick, welled up, like the Saving Private Ryan scene where he asks if he's a good man and if he lived a good life. It's brutal.

The takeaway from me was all about PTSD, regardless of whatever embellishments hollywood stuck in there. I have a few family members who served in Iraq - none of them died there - but one did AFTER he came back so this was like a punch in the chest. I urge you to go see this movie despite all of the people ragging on it and giving the oh so witty "'merica" commentary, or whatever people like Seth Rogan say about it.  Quite honestly, anyone who IS NOT taking away something about PTSD from this film A) has not seen it and is just echoing whatever their favorite talking heads say, B) has no empathy or might even have to be a fucking sociopath. See it for yourself and form your own opinion - it probably is nothing like what people are yacking about it on Twitter.

RIP Chris Kyle and thank you to all of our veterans, gold star moms, and first responders!

Good movie. Good person. Good post.

You indeed achieved a high level of unawareness to have gone in there expecting a Chuck Norris style action flick.

I made sure to ignore any urge to analyze the film from a political perspective and tried my best just to enjoy the film.

I thought it unnecessarily made an unrealistic movie out of a story that was fascinating enough anyway, and that it was generally a cliche-ridden piece of shit. I was bored to tears during the endless scenes with his wife.

Come at me, bros.

VU Phone Post 3.0

I also saw it yesterday.Was a very good film I thought,I knew he died irl but wasn't sure if they would put it in the movie which made for quite a sad ending with all that real life footage.

One question I have is I noticed in a few scenes that the seals were talking in meters instead of feet why is that? Phone Post 3.0

"I urge you to go see this movie despite all of the people ragging on it and giving the oh so witty "'merica" commentary, or whatever people like Seth Rogan say about it"

The irony is that the people that the 'merica joke is based on are the same people that were mad at Rogen. He just made a joke about a movie...on twitter. Phone Post 3.0

GMan99 - You indeed achieved a high level of unawareness to have gone in there expecting a Chuck Norris style action flick.

Gotta love Twitter, especially angry Twitter

Agreed.

One thing I find funny is that everyone says at the end it was dead silence, no one said a word etc. That's what Clint was trying to accomplish. The viewers got manipulated into silence. Not that takes away from the overall story but peeps get so emotional over it.

I got sick of hearing them call each other "baby"

I thought it was an ok movie nothing special really though. Might be because I watched it on my computer and not in the theaters but I wouldn't even put it in the top 20 war movies for me.

Kroger39 - Agreed.

One thing I find funny is that everyone says at the end it was dead silence, no one said a word etc. That's what Clint was trying to accomplish. The viewers got manipulated into silence. Not that takes away from the overall story but peeps get so emotional over it.

Honestly, the ending wasn't what got to me personally. It's a tough movie and not just tough based on his story, but the other soldiers as well.

Amazing how opinions of this movie run the gamut.