Amitabha of the Pure Land

In the Mahayana scriptures of Buddhism, there is a celestial Buddha called Amitabha. His stories vary from Pakistan to Japan but the basic concept is that at one point, he decided his life was empty and meaningless and he wanted to find out the meaning of life, the universe and everything. He took several vows (18-48, depending on the version you read). Among his vows, he swears that if he becomes a Buddha (an enlightened being) he will build a Pure Land in which all people will be exactly the same, no pretty or ugly- but the same, none can fall into sin in the Pure Land, none can be animals or insects, only pure people. While in the Pure Land, these gold colored people will receive instruction directly from Amitabha. When their learning is complete, they will pass on and be reincarnated as a Buddha and escape the wheel of incarnation.

A link to the vows.

Some highlights:

Vow 2 

Provided I become a Buddha, if in that country of mine the beings who are born there should fall away (die) into the three evil realms, then may I not attain the enlightenment.

Vow 12 

Provided I become a Buddha, if my light should be limited in measurement so that it could not illuminate a hundred thousand nayuta of kotis of Buddha-countries, then may I not attain the enlightenment.

Vow 18 

Provided I become a Buddha, if the beings of the ten quarters who after having heard my name, and thus awakened their highest faith and aspiration of re-birth in that country of mine, even they have recollected such a thought for ten times only, they are destinated to be born there, with the exception of those who have committed the five deadly sins (Anantarya), and who have blasphemed the orthodox Law (Dharma), otherwise may I not attain the enlightenment.

Vow 33 

When I obtain the Buddhahood, any being of the boundless and inconceivable Buddha-worlds of the ten quarters whose body if be touched by the rays of my splendour should not make his body and mind gentle and peaceful, in such a state that he is far more sublime than the gods and men, then may I not attain the enlightenment.