Amusement arcade

I'm thinking about starting a video arcade in a mall. Is that a bright idea or not? What should I have in mind first?

Thanks all

Definately agree about that being kind of a dying business with all the advancements in home systems.

A lot of malls also have regulations about when you admit one of your biggest demographics...kids. At least 2 malls I worked at had rules that the arcades could not admit kids under 18 until after 4 oclock on weekdays (they had gotten complaints about kids skipping school and going to the arcade.) That makes the window of opportunity pretty small to make $.

If I were to go into the arcade business it would be a place more like Dave and Buster's or Jillians...a bar, where you also have games.

I'm afraid the arcades brighter days have been long gone. Desidiosus is correct about the home consoles.

The big problem would be your startup capital. Arcade games (new & good ones) still cost anywhere between $2,500 - $5,000 and thats not even the sitdown games. Maybe check into rentals with the sitdown games. We used to rent new sitdowns off of Sega and Namco, Games like Alpine Surfer, Datona USA, Time Crisis 2. At the time they would rent out 3 deluxe sitdowns for 2,000 a month. These games were bringing in over $1,000 a week. Of course this was also 6 years ago when the playstation 1 was huge.

"If I were to go into the arcade business it would be a place more like Dave and Buster's or Jillians...a bar, where you also have games."

Seems to be the only arcades that can stick around. Unless, you live in Japan or Chinatown.

ttt

That's why the sports bar / arcades do so well. Alchohol is the key.

Actually start up capital isn't as big of a problem as you would think. My dad owned a video arcade back in the late 70's early 80's and you video game distributor will provide you with the games, then they split the take with you. I called about a very similar idea about 2 years ago and it still basically worked the same way.

When I talked to them, they held the same opinion as everyone here. Arcades are pretty much a thing of the past, at least in malls.

I still like the combination of a billiards hall / arcade. I guess when i say arcade, i mean only a few select games. Golden Tee 2004/2005 was always big, maybe some old school stuff.