An experience

Stress innoculation is singing the national anthem in front of 20,000 people and you are not a singer.

I did this for a IHL Dragons and NBA SPURS game...

I controlled my fear, everyone said that was pretty good. I didnt miss a note, but I was shaking at my knees and sh@#ing in my pants.

What was good, is they had no idea. I had a few more
offers to sing national anthem and stopoped while I was ahead.

CYA,
TDWARR

TDWARR , *smiling* Somehow I can relate ... I sang for the Pope in Rome in 1982 in front of 100 000 pilgrims present that afternoon . I was touring Europe with the Canadiana Youth Choir that summer . Funny though , I found it much harder to sing in a small crowd . I remember singing back home in a nursing home ; each member of the audience seems to pick a choir member to hone in on visually . It was almost unnerving *L* I still remember one man , a double amputee sitting in his wheelchair , focusing intently on us , tears streaming down his cheeks ... fact is , sometimes fear isn't the only emotion swimming thru us that requires taming .Cheers , Var

Dang !! I might have missed my calling ... *G*

Good ideas , good thoughts ... going to check the thread Tony referenced as well ...*poof!*

Vardini

MTRIPP! BE PROUD! YOU DID A SMART THING!

YOU DID THE CLASSIC OVER TRAINING MENTALITY!

YOU PRACTICED TO HOLD YOUR BREATH FOR 2:30 MIN WHEN IN FACT IT ONLY TOOK YOU 30 SEC TO DO THE STUNT!

OF COURSE I'M MAKING THE ASSUMPTION THAT YOU COMPLETED THE STUNT?

EITHER WAY MY HATS OFF TO YOU!

WHAT YOUR FEELINGS CAME FROM WAS STARING DEATH IN THE EYE!

VERY FEW HAVE THE GUTS TO TRY THAT!

ONCE YOU DO THAT HE'S NOT SO SCARY THE SECOND TIME!

REMEMBER IF YOU FALL OFF THE BIKE GET RIGHT BACK ON AND HAVE A GO!

PEACE, TOM

Wow, hey 'M' long time no speak.

I'll let the thread evolve a little but ironcially I posted a parody of my stuff in the CHICKEN HUNTER WHERE ARE YOU THREAD [WARNING DO NOT READ THE THREAD if you are either TOO serious, Anal or pedantic.]

ANyhow, inside some very offbeat humor, I wrote about 'stress innoculation'.

Tony

did u pracitce the task in front of a LARGE crowd?
Did you get a little "stressed" when u saw ALL of the people watching u?

Okay, I'll take a crack at it, Mark.EMOTIONAL INTENSITYThe knowledge that a drill is just a drill, practice is just practice keeps one from having that extra depth of reality, the emotional hijacking from realizing that this is real, with only one real chance to prerform correctly, with real consequences if you don't.Your "panic attack" (Say, wouldn't that make a good name for a product or service?*g*) happened during the performance, not the training. The physiological response to stress is to up the heart rate and make the breathing more shallow - just what you didn't need at the time, eh? Our worst practice at the dojo/dojang/kwoon/gym will probably be better than our actual performance in the field. And yet....And yet you didn't drown; you completed the act - and I'll bet no one but you and your assistants knew anything was wrong.So it looks to me that your training did take over and complete the manuevers successfully - but not as you'd hoped or planned.RealStudent

Anyone else before I or Tony chimes in?

*Thinking back to college..*Ok , what if your tank was a 'lil scummy from sitting on stage in the heat . And what if your assistants drained said tank , and scrubbed it clean . Then in all fairness to you they decided to refill the tank with much cooler water , as to keep you 'cool' during the stunt . ? ? ?Then when they hung you upside down and lowered you into the tank , as your face drove into the cold water (approx. 68°F) you experienced the old 'mammalian dive reflex' . Your body being fooled into thinking a drowning was eminent , shut off your airway by means of a laryngospasm , and prepared itself for a 'dry drowning' ! You immediately sensed something was wrong and panicked . The sensation sucks ... it's happened to me , white water kayaking in spring ; twice . It takes all your focus to break the spasm . Experience taught me that forcing (and don't laugh) a burp will accomplish this.Wierd , rolling the kayak back up ... being safe , yet NOT being able to breath , in or out !!Peace , Var

Man....

GREAT insights and indeed hit on lots of the errors
I made....

Here is one in hindsight....

...did I ever do it AFTER doing the entire show first?
After all it was a closer with an hour of material
(handcuffs, strait-jackets, steel chests) in front of
it?

Nope, I never thought about doing that!

PS the scummy thing was DEAD on.....

...I couldn't see ANYTHING in there as the water
from the theater wasn't the same as what came
out of my hose!

So the issue is, how do you "get ready" for what
you forgot to get ready for!!!!

PS the burp thing is more correct than you might
know.

One of the Houdini tricks I was taught was to
actually swallow air into my stomich; fill my lungs,
use that; excale, burp, then inhale from my mouth
with the new air.

Gets you another 30 seconds to a minute
depanding on how much you can get in there.

Cool stuff...thanks for posting this.

Ironically, read the MENTAL TOUGHNESS/CALM thread, my reply has to do with this indirectly, I was going to refer others to it when I posted this AM but wanted to wait for your reply Mark.

Tony

MTripp , Tony addresses this on one of his cassettes (meta cognition or performance enhancement I think) . The idea being that ones' performance will become progressively hindered as we become more 'exposed' . I'm paraphrasing by memory , so please bear with me . Training in your comfort zone alone or with a few friends is one thing . Add an outsider and your performance lacks . You might be used to a cacophony of sounds , but suffer in the suffocating absence of sound . You may do well when you are ready to perform , but hesitate when seemingly 'outside' forces compel you to perform ... now! Under normal circumstances , your heart lung systems work within normal ranges , but under duress , in the midst of an adrenaline dump , they become taxed ... as any scuba diver knows . I guess the overall lesson for all of us is the overkill principal and the idea of reality based training , no matter how esoteric . You obviously poccess well tuned fear management tools , because you are here today ; safe and sound *S* . Close calls make a wonderful catalyst for change and growth .Cheers , Var

Because Tony has been so kind as to share his thoughts with my people I thought I would tell this tale but let all of you post as to the "why" of the situation. From there you will learn why Tony and his teachings are so important.

The year doesn't matter, but it was long ago. I was contacted to re-create the Houdini Water Torture Cell for a theme show that year. In case you didn't see the movie; that is the upside down in the tank of water thing.

We built it, rehearsed it, and it worked fine. In EVERY prastice (once I had the skill) I could hold my breath for 2:30 EASILY. So no problems, right?

So why on the night of the show did I almost drown as I was only able to hold my breath for about 30 seconds! I mean it was GONE, and I was scrambling for my life in there.....

....what happened? What did I forget to do? What did my training lack?

I'll bet BIG money Tony knows!