An instructor at my school's bjj blog made Reddit

Check it out, it's a good read and in addition to being a great writer, he's also a great person.

http://marshaldcarper.blogspot.com/2012/12/sport-vs-self-defense-refresh-your.html

Great read! Phone Post

Yeah, I thought one of your BJJ instructors was the founder of Reddit.

HoldYerGround - Yeah, I thought one of your BJJ instructors was the founder of Reddit.

Sorry, now that I read the thread title it is a bit misleading. My bad, dude.

oh my god, comic hottie. Seriously. She really needs to get it together and win the powerball then demand I leave my family for her and her millions already.

Fine article, but...is it just me or does there seem to be an assumption that self-defense involves facing an unskilled (possibly drunk) opponent?

fat referee - 
KidPittsburgh - oh my god, comic hottie. Seriously. She really needs to get it together and win the powerball then demand I leave my family for her and her millions already.

wait, YOU ALREADY HAVE A WIFE AND KIDS?!?!?!

fuck man I thought this was going to be a fairy tale ending where you get the girl and have an awesome time at comic con or something

That brings the 'Disappointment Level' of this thread up to "2", now.

paw - 

Fine article, but...is it just me or does there seem to be an assumption that self-defense involves facing an unskilled (possibly drunk) opponent?

Naw, your assertion is correct; but I think it's fair to say that the majority of altercations will involve untrained people--it's just sheer statistics that most people do not practice any combat sports/arts. That, and alcohol is typically a contributing factor in most street fights. Just my observation, though.

Disliked. Off the top of my head before hitting the gunrange...

He speaks in absolutes. Sport or recreational training is not a "waste of time" and indeed it is fun.....but us "naysayers" as he refers to us, believe in a foundation of fundamental fighting/SD skill and part of REGULAR training.

He speaks about "Jiu-jitsu, at its core, is about forcing your opponent to make a mistake.".....well the 1st mistake is to assume your opponent is unskilled. Like many who marginalize the fighting/SD aspects of jiujitsu training, he ignores how "sport" training as a core objective makes it more likely for the "jiu-jiteiros" to be injured when dealing with striking, marginally/semi-skilled and aggressive attacker or even an attacker armed with a weapon than if the core obj of training was the fight/SD aspects of jiujitsu were the case......which itself can be fun and progressive training where you don't always have to be killing yourself and training partner.

Sure he ends with....."Note: Just as you refresh basic attacks like armbars and triangles, so should you periodically revisit basic self-defense tactics to stay well-rounded and prepared." TYhis makes it sound like a CYA blurb and that such is fairly unimportant ancillary training rather than making it the core. It shows the mindset of many in jiujitsu today.

I don't see anyone that fits his "naysayers" label that claims sport/recreational rolling shouldn't be done or has no place in jiujitsu, but this blog post paints advocates as such.