Anderson is scared to fight GSP

My friend, who also is a member here, tried to convince me this morning that Anderson is scared to fight GSP.

My friend KNOWS his mma, but admittedly his favorite fighter is GSP. In the past, we always seem to have some common ground to agree on even when we disagree on topics. The only times I've actually completely disagreed with him, is when it comes to a GSP topic.

Now I just want longtime mma fans opinions, do you think Anderson is scared-if yes why?

Do you think Anderson isn't scared(no need to justify)

There is no fear involved at that level of mixed martial arts.

I'm a GSP fan but I'd assume he's more "afraid" of fighting Anderson. It doesn't make sense for him to fight someone who can dummy fuck people two weight classes above him. After seeing the Forest fight I wouldn't even go near that Anderson at a party.

I'm a GSP fan but I'd assume he's more "afraid" of fighting Anderson. It doesn't make sense for him to fight someone who can dummy fuck people two weight classes above him. After seeing the Forrest fight I wouldn't even go near that Anderson at a party.

.. My bad. Stupid wireless.

I am very interested to see Anderson fight Belfort. i think if he loses to Belfort it would not only open up the division, but I think the Anderson vs GSP fight would have to happen, before Anderson loses what he has.

I am very interested to see Anderson fight Belfort. i think if he loses to Belfort it would not only open up the division, but I think the Anderson vs GSP fight would have to happen, before Anderson loses what he has.

To flip the question, I don't think GSP is afraid to fight Anderson, but I do think there's a risk/reward at play here.

To gain and adapt to the necessary muscle to be competitive at 185, GSP would have to gain +/-15lbs of lean muscle and get used to using it (cardio, speed, etc).

That would take at least a year to do right. Say at least 8 months building plus a proper camp going into the fight.

Time spent doing that would be time out of the ring and out of the public eye, losing both PPV and sponsorship revenues as well as (somewhat) reducing his marketability.

Will the UFC pay him the equivalent of 3ppv's for the superfight (the two that he would miss, plus the actual fight)? Dunno.

If he wins, of course he's the new GOAT. If he loses? What's his next step? He's lost a lot of (although not all) lustre.

And this is assuming he could later get back down to 170 without losing a step, no sure proposition.

Fear? Hell no. Weighing a career move? Definitely.

EvilMaster - There is no fear involved at that level of mixed martial arts.

I'm very glad this answer was the first reply. These are my sediments exactly.

Anyone who takes the sport seriously and as a career, won't make it to the big shows by being scared to face tough opposition, let alone the top tier guys, LET ALONE the CHAMPION, let alone a LB for LB Champion.

That's idiotic. Of course there is fear at that level. EVERYONE experiences fear.

It's the RESPONSE to fear that is different at that level. Even if GSP or Anderson do experience fear about one another, it isn't something that would stop them from fighting.

Some level of healthy fear is an asset to fighter or anyone in a high pressure situation. A "throw caution to the wind" type of attitude is where you get in trouble.

the mid 90s - 

Quoted for truth.

The only thing that is true is that both of you reveal your ignorance about human fear and what it takes to rise to the level of GSP and Silva.

The whole idea of 'eliminating' fear is IDIOTIC. It's our RESPONSE to fear that counts... not some fantasy about 'no fear'. Ask ANYONE who has actually BEEN THERE. Show me someone with a 'total lack of fear' and I will show you someone who is dead on the inside.

GSP vs. Anderson would be an awesome fight.

"I believe intelligence and fear are very close together. Guys who say they are not afraid of anything, they are stupid. They are silly to me...I am afraid of everything." - Rickson Gracie

"There is always fear when you fight. Don't believe anyone who says there isn't." - NHL enforcer Craig Berube

"I'm afraid, like it's the end of the world. Of course, I get nervous. I always have doubts. I'm always afraid, but that's what makes someone courageous, when he does something when he's afraid. When you do something when you're not afraid, it's not courage." - George St. Pierre

I am sure the 4 and a half round beating, he took from Sonnen. Might make him contemplate the risk, of fighting a polished wrestler like GSP.
But at the end of the day if the dollar is right, Anderson will be fighting just about anyone.
elevated heart rate and all :)

there should not be another post after this one

mikecard - 

there should not be another post after this one

You should consider quitting the internet. Seriously.

wow, yurfuct obviously it takes alot to get you to post.

I agree that most fighters have a certain level of "fear", and that can be a good thing. However I think you totally missed what my friend was stating.

He was stating that Anderson has so much fear that he wouldn't fight GSP. I'm sure when Anderson fought Patrick Cote, he still had some level of fear.

The definition of Courage/bravery isn't to fear nothing, rather than to fear something, but do it anyways.

I'm sure GSP and Anderson would have lots of fear, but not so much that they'd be too scared to fight, which is what I thought was blasphemy when it came out of the mouth of someone who I've discuss mma with for years.

It's not even about fear...these guys are a business unto themselves and they have to take care of their product (themselves). Everyone knows that anything can happen in a fight (SERRA???) so the reason GSP (or Anderson) would think hard on it is because the result affects their legacy...fear has nothing to do with it.

Just my opinion,
Stan The Man

Would they fight at 170, 185 or a catch?