Anderson Silva: Not the Perfect Fighter

Fuckin sub brutha Phone Post 3.0

The best you've done.

Cool read. Thanks. Phone Post 3.0

Kisivts - Hey Jack, have you written one for Weidman? If not i would love to read your takes on him. Thanks.
Same here. We need the blueprint to beat Weidman now to keep it fair. Phone Post 3.0

Sub Phone Post 3.0

Kisivts - Hey Jack, have you written one for Weidman? If not i would love to read your takes on him. Thanks.
This Phone Post 3.0

ajjr0ller -
Same here. We need the blueprint to beat Weidman now to keep it fair. Phone Post 3.0
It'd be a short, one word article:

"Flawless." Phone Post 3.0

"Anderson Silva is an example of the other kind of pressure. Like Willie Pep"

Stephen Holder - 
Jack Slack - 
Joshua King - Didn't read but I'm sure it went something like

"A baiting counter striker that got frustrated when his aura didn't have his opponent defeated before the fight"

Sounsaboutright? Phone Post 3.0

No...

Badass writeup Mr. Slack, once again.

Theres no need to take it there like Josh did but I do share some of his sentiment on your post fight analysis from Silva vs. Weidman 1. I think every piece you write is brilliant and insightful by the way. In fact if I were a fighter or a coach, I'd look for your articles coming out for future scheduled fights, no doubt. I always click on your links before fights. Even the stuff you wrote leading up to the fight last time, I mean how you called Chris being able to ko Silva by doubling up on his punches was some straight up Nostradamus shit (to me anyways.)

That said, respectfully, I disagree with the widely held notion that Anderson was clowning Weidman out of frustration. I realize that goading his opponents to make them err and expose their vulnerabilities is an integral part of his game but the level he took it to last time exceeded his clowning of Maia, Griffin and Bonnar by far. I'm definitely not as astute as you when it comes to the technical analysis but I think even casual fans can pick up on nuance as it pertains to some of the the mental aspects of fighting. Mentally Silva was not anywhere near 'desperate' in the first Weidman fight. If clowning were some indicator that Silva was losing confidence then why didn't we see Silva start messin around like that against TRTSonnen? On the contrary I believe Silva clowns as a result of soaring confidence and adrenaline. The only time he pulls that shit is when he gets in the zone and he knows hes at his sweet spot.

Why would Anderson get an adrenaline surge when he was getting owned and outclassed by Weidman leading up to the now infamous ko? Thats just it, within the context of the hype that Chris rode in on last July, Anderson wasn't. You've seen the interviews where Soares and even Silva himself says prior to the first fight that fighting Chris Weidman was a bad idea. Then you got these top UFC fighters like GSP, Rashad Evans and Frankie Edgar counting him out. Sure hes a professional and he plays it off like its nothing but look at how pissed he got at Damian Maia just for saying Silva was cocky or whatever? You know that shit got under Anderson's skin.

So he gets in there, Chris takes him down (like we didn't know that was coming) and doesn't do much. Yeah he lands some 'big' shots but it didn't look like Silva was phased. Why are people acting like those 'big' shots on the ground were deathblows? I didn't see a single scrape or bruise on Silva's grill after the fight. Then Weidman goes for the sub and loses it (people keep spinning this too like 'oh he was so close' no, he wasn't.) Silva spins out of that shit with finesse just as easy as he did in the Luter fight. They stand and the two or three remaining takedowns attempted by Chris in the remainder of the fight get stuffed. Chris is a beast for moving forward and not freezing up all mesmerized like the Bonnars and Griffins and Maias but even his standup was super sloppy. All this from the guy who was a 'younger, stronger, faster, more skilled version of Sonnen'? This supposedly monster wrestler with elite GnP and legendary bjj? I feel like Silva was laughing inside seconds before he started clowning and got ko'd. He was nowhere near desperate. Was Anderson losing on the scorecards? I'm sure he was but since when has Silva cared about the scorecards? Hes not GSP, he doesn't point-fight. To the main point of your article above, Silva will spend an entire 4.75 rounds looking for 'openings' and not even give a single thought to what the Judges are thinking.

I don't get how this is lost on so many people. For all intents and purposes, for an Anderson Silva fight, Chris was not doing too hot. He himself has said in interviews that he 'could have done much better' and even Renzo Gracie characterizes him as 'fading' before he ko's Anderson.

Jack, excellent article.

Please address this post...

Stephen Holder - That said, respectfully, I disagree with the widely held notion that Anderson was clowning Weidman out of frustration...

The argument is not that Anderson was necessarily frustrated - it's that he was trying to get Weidman to overextend himself. The rest of your post is just silly IMO.

Ttt Phone Post

Where do we find some of Jack's previous work ?

For example the Diaz boxing, old style boxing.

Nice piece of work.

williepep - Where do we find some of Jack's previous work ?

For example the Diaz boxing, old style boxing.

Nice piece of work.

If you're thinking the Nick Diaz bare knuckle pugilism I believe that was written by John Nash. He's a super smart guy.

Most of my stuff is on Bloody Elbow, Bleacher Report or Fightland. The Head Kick Legend stuff was lost unfortunately. I don't really keep track of my stuff =P

DoomFarmer -
Stephen Holder - 
Jack Slack - 
Joshua King - Didn't read but I'm sure it went something like

"A baiting counter striker that got frustrated when his aura didn't have his opponent defeated before the fight"

Sounsaboutright? Phone Post 3.0

No...

Badass writeup Mr. Slack, once again.

Theres no need to take it there like Josh did but I do share some of his sentiment on your post fight analysis from Silva vs. Weidman 1. I think every piece you write is brilliant and insightful by the way. In fact if I were a fighter or a coach, I'd look for your articles coming out for future scheduled fights, no doubt. I always click on your links before fights. Even the stuff you wrote leading up to the fight last time, I mean how you called Chris being able to ko Silva by doubling up on his punches was some straight up Nostradamus shit (to me anyways.)

That said, respectfully, I disagree with the widely held notion that Anderson was clowning Weidman out of frustration. I realize that goading his opponents to make them err and expose their vulnerabilities is an integral part of his game but the level he took it to last time exceeded his clowning of Maia, Griffin and Bonnar by far. I'm definitely not as astute as you when it comes to the technical analysis but I think even casual fans can pick up on nuance as it pertains to some of the the mental aspects of fighting. Mentally Silva was not anywhere near 'desperate' in the first Weidman fight. If clowning were some indicator that Silva was losing confidence then why didn't we see Silva start messin around like that against TRTSonnen? On the contrary I believe Silva clowns as a result of soaring confidence and adrenaline. The only time he pulls that shit is when he gets in the zone and he knows hes at his sweet spot.

Why would Anderson get an adrenaline surge when he was getting owned and outclassed by Weidman leading up to the now infamous ko? Thats just it, within the context of the hype that Chris rode in on last July, Anderson wasn't. You've seen the interviews where Soares and even Silva himself says prior to the first fight that fighting Chris Weidman was a bad idea. Then you got these top UFC fighters like GSP, Rashad Evans and Frankie Edgar counting him out. Sure hes a professional and he plays it off like its nothing but look at how pissed he got at Damian Maia just for saying Silva was cocky or whatever? You know that shit got under Anderson's skin.

So he gets in there, Chris takes him down (like we didn't know that was coming) and doesn't do much. Yeah he lands some 'big' shots but it didn't look like Silva was phased. Why are people acting like those 'big' shots on the ground were deathblows? I didn't see a single scrape or bruise on Silva's grill after the fight. Then Weidman goes for the sub and loses it (people keep spinning this too like 'oh he was so close' no, he wasn't.) Silva spins out of that shit with finesse just as easy as he did in the Luter fight. They stand and the two or three remaining takedowns attempted by Chris in the remainder of the fight get stuffed. Chris is a beast for moving forward and not freezing up all mesmerized like the Bonnars and Griffins and Maias but even his standup was super sloppy. All this from the guy who was a 'younger, stronger, faster, more skilled version of Sonnen'? This supposedly monster wrestler with elite GnP and legendary bjj? I feel like Silva was laughing inside seconds before he started clowning and got ko'd. He was nowhere near desperate. Was Anderson losing on the scorecards? I'm sure he was but since when has Silva cared about the scorecards? Hes not GSP, he doesn't point-fight. To the main point of your article above, Silva will spend an entire 4.75 rounds looking for 'openings' and not even give a single thought to what the Judges are thinking.

I don't get how this is lost on so many people. For all intents and purposes, for an Anderson Silva fight, Chris was not doing too hot. He himself has said in interviews that he 'could have done much better' and even Renzo Gracie characterizes him as 'fading' before he ko's Anderson.

Jack, excellent article.

Please address this post...
he did land hard shots on the ground and the sub was close...

but he wasnt frustrated he was trying to bait weidman too attack. Phone Post 3.0

In

But he's still real to me damn it Phone Post 3.0

Would one of you geniuses please explain why Anderson himself has admitted to "losing mental control" if he wasn't frustrated?

Do you typically "lose control" when you are calm and focused?

Sub Phone Post 3.0

Griffen's offense? or Griffen's offence? you are so good with words I'm second guessing my own doubts on weather you spelled that correctly in the last line hahahah fml

Subbed as always Phone Post 3.0

ttt voted up