"Anderson Silva out until 2010"

Pending elbow surgery sidelines Anderson Silva until 2010

Looks like we’ll have a little more time to figure out which middleweight contender is going to be next in line for a shot at Anderson Silva’s 185-pound crown — courtesy of a bum elbow “The Spider” has elected to have surgery to repair.

While details of the procedure are still unclear, the gang down at ESPN’s “MMA Live” posted the unfortunate (but not surprising) news on their official Twitter account.

Not surprising because “Spider” spokesman and manager Ed Soares has been adamant about his client taking a few months off to rest and recover from some existing injuries following his dissection of Forrest Griffin at UFC 101 back on August 8.

Soares even made the unofficial match-up of Nate Marquardt vs. Dan Henderson following “The Great” knockout over Demian Maia at last month’s UFC 102 in order determine a number one contender for the division title while Silva recuperates.

While it makes sense on paper considering both competitors have faced Silva before, it was an idea not warmly received by Hendo.

UFC President Dana White has not yet committed to a direction for the 185-pound division, but with Silva going under the knife, he’ll have plenty of time to consider different scenarios.

But how long are fans willing to wait?

With a surgically repaired “Axe Murderer” already planning a middleweight debut plus the return of a suddenly slimmer Vitor Belfort, there should be enough to keep us busy for the next six months.

Who knows, maybe even Yushin Okami will “Thunder” his way back into contention.

Dammit.

I'm rending my garments and gnashing my teeth in anguish and disappointment =(

Fucking sucks really.

ttt

^^What if Anderson doesn't need surgery, but faked it just to get his way?  Soares was adament of having Hendo and Mardquart fight each other, and was very vocal about the Spider wanting to take some time off...

LOL like they say "when in doubt, fake an injury"

It is certainly a possibility

he wasnt going to fight until 2010 anyway.

I wasn't expecting to see Anderson fight again this year anyways, so no big deal. I hate interim belts too.

This sucks, especially since he'll be 35 when he gets back.

Hendo / Marquardt  should happen for the number one contender. 

By then the Spider should have all his legs back and the world will be a beautiful place.

that's only 4 months technically...he just fought a few weeks ago. I doubt he'd be fighting much earlier anyway.

JT42382 -  ^^What if Anderson doesn't need surgery, but faked it just to get his way?  Soares was adament of having Hendo and Mardquart fight each other, and was very vocal about the Spider wanting to take some time off...

LOL like they say "when in doubt, fake an injury"

It is certainly a possibility

LOL @ that being a possibility.

Anderson's human and gets injured like any other man...He's been pretty active in the last year and deserves a little time off to recuperate and re-energize himself.

There's a ton of work to be done at 185 anyways....For some odd reason those guys keep asking for title shots when they have both been finished by Silva already...

Monsters Ball - Interim belts area a joke. There is no need for that.

Anderson was fine for the Forrest fight so he could fight if he wanted to. He's just manipulating things for his own benefit.
How do you know he was "fine"?  Perhaps he fought through an injury like a lot of fighters do.

Perhaps he just wants time off and get his body back on the right track?

an injury is kind of a big deal in pro sports buddy.

GSP is the same way....He likes to compete while he's healthy and takes the time he needs to recover.

obviously hes faked injury cuz hes scared of mir

Henderson demanding a shot at A.Silva after getting choked the f**k out is a joke.

Decision Dan is scared of Nate The Great.

ttt

anderson is one crafty mofo..inside the cage and out. by taking himself out of action he is basically forcing the ufc to have a #1 contenders match...

He should just move to LHW from now on

He's injured you idiots. What part of that dont you understand??

Im sure he has to provide medical paper and a time and date of the surgery to be taking place.

All you guys crying about this instead of wishing him a speedy recovery are making me sick.

God wants Nate vs Hendo to happen. Sick of all you Hendo nutswingers.