Anderson Silva Topps red parallel sells for $960

http://cgi.ebay.com/2009-Topps-UFC-1-1-Anderson-Silva-Red-Parallel-RARE_W0QQitemZ220407473078QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_SM_Sports_Cards?hash=item33514f23b6&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A13%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Any thoughts?

I also just remembered I was outbid on this card when it sold for $227 not even two months ago.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT&item=110366000211

I have never been one to worry about if a card was a 1 of 1 or not. I find that in the very next set there will be another Anderson Silva card that is 1 of 1. Like with 90% of the UFC Topps cards selling on eBay right now I think it is way overpriced.

Frank needs to change his shorts.

That was one of the reasons I didn't originally bid that much in the first auction. I do think a lot of these 1/1 cards have a ton of potential as they will always be the best rc card of each fighter, but with Anderson having a Pride rc I considered it just the next card in line.

Way too much money but definately the one to have. Dont know much about the pride one price wise but also a great find.

Mr4NIK8R - That was one of the reasons I didn't originally bid that much in the first auction. I do think a lot of these 1/1 cards have a ton of potential as they will always be the best rc card of each fighter, but with Anderson having a Pride rc I considered it just the next card in line.
The Pride FC card IS Anderson Silva's rookie card. Period. The collectors (in the card world) dont know what cards exist etc... they truly are buying blind... 

That card had threebidders  battling it out up to $700+... that means its worth about that... the other two took it up higher and the winner actually bid twice and didnt even get outbid on the first bid so it could have went (much) higher.

Anything 1 of 1 is worth a lot of money relatively speaking... glad I still have my two 1 of 1 topps cards... if that guy id trying to build a set he has to talk to me.... ;)

and me :) I got 2 also

I also let that Anderson go @ 227

which two you have? I have Jardine and Florian...

Lesnar and Randy.... I wish

Diaz and Relic <- spelling?

fightpimp - The Pride FC card IS Anderson Silva's rookie card. Period. The collectors (in the card world) dont know what cards exist etc... they truly are buying blind... 
Yep. I have one full set of the 63 card Price base set, plus a few dupes like A.Silva, W.Silva, Mirko, Barnett, Big Nog, etc.

I consider them all RC's.

Mr4NIK8R - That was one of the reasons I didn't originally bid that much in the first auction. I do think a lot of these 1/1 cards have a ton of potential as they will always be the best rc card of each fighter, but with Anderson having a Pride rc I considered it just the next card in line.

Actually that isn't necessarily true. And neither are several of the comments following yours. I don't know how much information you care about and sorry if this turns into a FRAT...but this is the area I have the most knowledge about.

In all sports (including baseball, football, NASCAR, etc) for a card to be considered a rookie card it must be:
- a major, licensed, nationally distributed brand
- a base card within the set
- the first year that a player/fighter appears on the card (as a major league player in sports that have a minor league)

While people can claim anything is a rookie card, the definition (and value) come from cards that fit this criteria.

The 1/1 cards (commonly referred to as “Red Parallels”) just like the thick unnumbered cards (commonly called the “Gold Parallels”) and the numbered to 288 thick cards (known as “Silver” or “Black Parallels”) are just that…parallel cards. Parallel cards are alternative cards to those found in the base set or subsets. Usually they are short printed versions. Parallel cards cannot be rookie cards since they are not considered a part of the base set. In the case of Topps UFC, the autograph cards are also not considered rookie cards because they are not part of the base set. They may be considered “rookie year cards” but not rookie cards.

PRIDE FC cards also do not fit the definition of a rookie card. They were not released by a major brand or distributed nationally in the US. Think about Ichiro. He was a major star in Japan and appeared on a number of cards there but his rookie card is from 2001 when he first appeared on US major brand of cards. The definition also eliminates the regional or give away cards we have all seen of Tito and other fighters as being their rookie cards (just like a minor league baseball team may give away cards and that player may make it big in the majors, but the minor league card will never be considered a rookie card).

By the same token the cards that appeared in Donruss Americana fighter cards do not meet the definition for a rookie card. They are part of the Ring Kings subset and therefore not part of the base set and not the fighter's rookie card.

The base cards numbered from 1 to 99 are the only cards within the Topps UFC Round 1 cards that meet the definition of a rookie card. But that doesn’t mean they all are. Randy Couture, Rampage, and Matt Serra’s Topps UFC cards are not rookie cards. Randy and Rampage both appeared in previous years Topps Allen & Ginter set and Sports Kings sets while Serra (and Urijah Faber) appeared in Donruss Legends set. Victorious Debuts and Top 10 Fights are an insert or subset to the UFC Round 1 set and not rookie cards either.

This is the way it is for other sports and I would guess that is how the MMA cards will be viewed. I hate to disappoint anyone. On the brightside, this is a new area/sport for cards and they may create different definitions…I wouldn’t bet on it but it could happen.

I think this whole Topps thing is one big scheme that is unstable and the falsely inflated value will plummet relatively quickly within the next year or 2.

rtwil2007 -

In all sports (including baseball, football, NASCAR, etc) for a card to be considered a rookie card it must be:

- the first year that a player/fighter appears on the card (as a major league player in sports that have a minor league)

While people can claim anything is a rookie card, the definition (and value) come from cards that fit this criteria.
I agree with everythign you said except the above regarding the Pride cards.

The Pride cards were distributed throughout Japan and most people do consider the Fedor, A.Silva, Wanderlei, CC, etc to be true RC's. And they were obviously licensed since they had teh Pride logos on them. Now they were not made by a major brand but most TRUE MMA collectors dont care about it. Bottom line, they were a better, more rare, product than teh crap Topps just put out. And you will have a harder time finding the Anderson Silva Pride card than you will the so called Anderson Silva Topps RC!

Also, your definition is a bit off IMO. Take a look at MLB and teh Bowman Chrome prospects. Just because they dont have the Rookie Card logo on them, EVERYONE considers them the RC's!

Not a rookie card....FTC 1st Topps card. Didn't hurt the value of the 52 Topps Mantle, even though 7 had a 51 Bowman. A few people might like to have a few 52 Mantles..........

PJ Benn Fan - 
rtwil2007 -

I agree with everythign you said except the above regarding the Pride cards.
The Pride cards were distributed throughout Japan and most people do consider the Fedor, A.Silva, Wanderlei, CC, etc to be true RC's. And they were obviously licensed since they had teh Pride logos on them. Now they were not made by a major brand but most TRUE MMA collectors dont care about it. Bottom line, they were a better, more rare, product than teh crap Topps just put out. And you will have a harder time finding the Anderson Silva Pride card than you will the so called Anderson Silva Topps RC!

Also, your definition is a bit off IMO. Take a look at MLB and teh Bowman Chrome prospects. Just because they dont have the Rookie Card logo on them, EVERYONE considers them the RC's!

LOL...What makes someone a "TRUE MMA collector"? Is that the same as a "real MMA fan"? Did I touch a nerve? I usually find when someone tries to make statements about being a "real" or "true" MMA fan it is because they don't like what someone else said and it makes them feel better to try to put themselves over others.

The reality is that if you only worry about what the hardcore MMA communnity will collect...then the values have already peaked. Hardocre fans are a very small group of people. Not all of them collect anything and even a smaller portion care anything at all about cards.

In the sports card collecting world, that is the definition of a rookie card. You don't have to like it. But Ichiro was also on countless cards, officially licensed in Japan...but none of them are considered his rookie card. The rarity of a card does not make it a rookie card either. Regional sets or team issues are much harder to find than official major brands but they are not considered rookie cards.

You are also mistaken about Bowman Chrome Prospects. They are not rookie cards. Rookies found within the regular Bowman Chrome set are rookies but the Draft Picks sets and Prospects sets are not considered rookies at all...and there values reflect that.

And which rookie card stamp are you refering to? Cards can be stamped with the words "Rated Rookie", "Prospect", "Premium Rookie", etc years after their rookie card. Derek Jeter's rookie card was issued in 1994; in 1996 there were still cards being released with those words on them. However, if you are refering to the MLB rookie logo that was created in 2006 to put an end to the confusion caused by practices like with what happened with Jeter...then that is a different story. MLB became concerned with the attempts of the card companies to continue promoting something as a rookie card long after the real rookies were released. So in order for card companies to keep their license, they will follow the outlines set by MLB and put the rookie stamp on cards that fit the definition of a rookie card. Prospects and Draft Pick sets are considered minor league cards.

In the end if you like the PRIDE cards better, great. Collect those. I personally like the Donruss Americana Ring Kings the best and am working to finish 2 different sets. They aren't rookies but I think they look better. My point of posting was to help clear up some confusion about what is a Rookie Card and what isn't. Not to tell anyone what to collect.

joesonshuevos -  Not a rookie card....FTC 1st Topps card. Didn't hurt the value of the 52 Topps Mantle, even though 7 had a 51 Bowman. A few people might like to have a few 52 Mantles..........

Good point on that. There is a collector love affair with Topps. But the Mantle is unique as I am sure you know.

thanks for sharing that information on cards 

rtwil... very interesting facts that may make me rethink some things. However since perception is reality, the "first" card is what collectors have been going after. I have received numerous requests for "Fedor's first card" etc... etc... never have i been asked for Fedor's rookie card... but nonetheless this is a very interesting and valid point you have made. I will adjust accordingly... thank you very much for sharing your expertise in this area, it is what is needed around here... more contributions and less bullshit...