Anderson vs. Leites is a good fight

Since I often get mistakenly labelled a universal Zuffa hater, let me go ahead and show my support for a title fight that everyone else seems to be bitching about:  Anderson vs. Leites.

What's most important about this fight being made is that Leites has EARNED the title shot through performance.  He is 14-1 in MMA, 5-1 in the UFC, and has won his last 5 fights in the octagon (only loss being his first UFC fight to Martin Kampmann.

People are complaining that he's not a good contender because he's not marketable or they don't personally know enough about him, which is just plain stupid.  Instead of Zuffa giving the shot to someone who is better known but possibly less deserving (Like a Michael Bisping or Chris Leben), they're giving it to the guy who earned it.

Leites is also a solid style matchup for Anderson.  He can take a monster beating without getting KO'd, and he'll need to against the ultra quick Anderson.  But once on the ground, Leites is an absolute monster and has some great chokes in his arsenal.  Anderson's weakness in the past has been falling into submissions, and Leites definitely has the experience to threaten those.

In Anderson's dominance in the UFC, we have come to think of him as infallible.  It is true Anderson often seems to be on another level, and its hard to imagine him losing at this point, but Leites poses 5 times the threat Travis Lutter did at the time (who some people gave a good chance to win).  Yes, Anderson is great on the ground as well, but he's no Leites.

Not just to pre-empt everyone, I believe Okami deserves the shot as well.  I was saying this before everyone else was even, Yushin has an amazing record and unfinished business with Anderson.  But as long as they aren't making that fight for whatever reason, I am GLAD they are making this one.  Leites is probably more deserving than anyone other than Yushin in the current UFC roster.

This is taking a step in the right direction in using merit, not popularity to determine the #1 contender.

For those of you who don't think Thales is a good contender because he isn't "marketable" (read:  you personally don't know very much about him) here's a highlight.

I think Anderson has the advantage standing...But I think its even on the ground...Will prolly give him fits on the ground...Anderson has to come to fight or Leites will take the title home...

Leites is better than Cote, but I think Maia deserves it a bit more. Also, if you're gonna put Anderson up against another fringe contender, why wait so long to do it? I feel like if Anderson isn't gonna get a major opponent he should at least be more active.

I'm a Leitas fan, but that's the most boring highlight video ever.  Mostly weak punches from back and mount and a bunch of submission attempts (with no shown finishes).  I mean the opening clip was him rushing someone into the fence and then clinching without throwing any strikes.  There is one sweet throw though.

It's a good fight I just don't agree with it being so far out. Anderson wanted to fight right after Cote and another dominant performance would go a long way to erasing that fight from memory, waiting 6 months to do that just sucks.

ttt

I like this fight as well

I watched Marquardt vs Leites last night, and... not sure why you think this is a good fight. Leites has nothing for Silva.

Leites will win.

Windfall - Leites has nothing for Silva.

So wait what happened to that whole the UCF will never match up two foreigners for a title fight, and there has to be an american fighting for the title BS that has been talked in this place for years?

Windfall - I watched Marquardt vs Leites last night, and... not sure why you think this is a good fight. Leites has nothing for Silva.

Because the #1 contender should be the guy who has earned it in the cage....not the guy the UG thinks has the best chance to win OR the guy the fans like the best.....and in case you need reminding, MMA fights don't always play out the way you would expect them to when you extrapolate a result based on each fighters' last couple of performaces.

Leites has earned the shot, and pretty much only he and Okami have done that.  Good job Zuffa for giving the fight to the guy who earned it.

i agree with everything you said except for the fact that you are mistakenly labelled a Zuffa hater. that label is well deserved.

:)

"Because the #1 contender should be the guy who has earned it in the cage..."

Earning it = getting a decision win due to your opponent getting penalized points?

His other wins... Floyd Sword? Ryan Jensen? Who are these people??? McFedries? My grandma could submit him if she got it to the ground.

And he lost to Kampmann? I am a Kampmann fan, but isn't he headed down to 170 now?

Maia has earned it 10x more than Leites has.

"Leites has earned the shot, and pretty much only he and Okami have done that."

Maia did so at least as much, and I'd say Henderson deserves it more if he beats Franklin.

Henderson just got a title shot, his second in the UFC since Pride folded.

Maia has certainly not earned it more.....he's won 4 straight to Leites 5.....but most importantly hasn't had the level of competition Leites has.  He hasn't fought anyone the level of Kampmann or Marquardt and has gotten extremely favorable matchmaking.  Which is fine, Zuffa sees a star in him, but that's exactly what I don't think they should do....give someone "the Huerta" and then fast track a title shot.  He needs to be challenged with a top fighter before he gets a title shot.  He has 9 MMA fights and his best win is Jason MacDonald, who is a tailor made opponent and gave him a very good fight.  Needs more development.

"Henderson just got a title shot, his second in the UFC since Pride folded."

He got a title shot 9 months ago, and Anderson's next defense isn't for another 4 months. If he beats Franklin he becomes only the 3rd fighter to do so, and in that case I'd rather see Silva/Hendo II than Silva/Leites.

"Maia has certainly not earned it more.....he's won 4 straight to Leites 5.....but most importantly hasn't had the level of competition Leites has."

Your logic is weird. Leites LOST to Kampmann. MacDonald is at least as good as Kampmann and Maia finished him. The 1 additional consecutive win is not very meaningful considering that Leites's streak includes Floyd Sword who is a total nobody, plus he has a loss in the UFC which Maia does not. The only way you can possibly justify Leites over Maia is the Marquardt win, and let's face it, that was a razor thin decision where Leites lost 2 out of 3 rounds and only won because of point deductions, one of which was pretty dubious. Would anyone out there pick Leites to win a rematch against Marquardt? I doubt it.

The ref also missed a major foul.  Look, Marquardt fought dirty, and Leites was VISIBLY affected by the fouls.  Its arguable that the deductions should have been bigger.

Points are deducted for a reason.  Leites got fucked up by the knees on the ground and the head spike, so to say "well, he really lost if it wasn't for those point deductions" is a terrible arguement. 

Some of you guys amaze me.  Fighters get hurt from illegal shots and don't continue, and you all call him a pussy.  Then, fighters continue after fouls that clearly hurt them and you say they didn't earn the win.  Leites beat Marquardt, something ONLY Anderson in the UFC has also done.  If he had such a clear win in the fight, he shouldn't have made multiple infractions on a rule set he knows extremely well.  But he did, and it affected his opponent's ability to fight, and so he absolutely deserved the deductions.

And how does 13 months represent some long amount of time?  Dan has gotten 1 win since he lost to Anderson.  And its not like his fight with Anderson was controversial in any way, he got beaten DECISIVELY.  This idea of recycling the same contenders over and over is stupid, open it up to some other good contenders.

Let's see some new matchups, why recycle ones that JUST happened last year and happened with a definitive conclusion??