Andre question about Oleg and BJJ

I recently saw a picture of Oleg in a obvious training enviroment with Liborio and a few other BJJ practioners . I know you have posted that Oleg has been to Rey's in the past . Is he just there to workout or is he learning BJJ ? What are his thoughts on BJJ as opposed to Sambo ? I remember on the MARS payper view they hyped it as a Sambo vs BJJ showdown was there ever any real "heat" or was it just promotional BS .......

There was never any real heat on Oleg's part. I know that after he trained with some of Carlson's guys a long time ago (Vitor, Sperry, some others) they or someone close to them spread some information about how they tapped him out many times. Oleg was offended by that, but it wasnt enough for there to be any real animosity.

When Oleg comes to Rey's, its usually to roll and just hang out. He doesnt train much anymore but he is still really tough on the mat and if he goes anywhere near your feet, you'll tap (not you specifically, everyone).

I dont think he feels that one art is better than the other. He has always stressed that it was the individual that made the difference.

if you were to rank him in bjj what belt would he be?

Do you think he gave any of Carlson's guys any trouble on the mat?

"if you were to rank him in bjj what belt would he be? "

Black belt. Definitely.

"Do you think he gave any of Carlson's guys any trouble on the mat?"

I wasnt there, so its hard to say what happened. I know that he was good at footlocks at a time when BJJers werent so that had to have been a factor.

"He has always stressed that it was the individual that made the difference. "

Having trained both BJJ and Sambo do you believe that as well .

SgtMac,

I personally believe that BJJ provides a better format for learning how to grapple. I believe that people should build a base with BJJ, then train in other arts like wrestling, sambo, and judo to round out their grappling skills. It isnt really that I think the techniques in BJJ are superior, but I feel the training in more closely resembles the goal than the training does in any of the other arts I mentioned.

Very true. But all are enjoyable.