Andy Foster - Weight Cut Reform California Bound

In an interview last week with Joe Ferraro, Foster revealed plans to bring weight cut reforms to California. His comments include the following:

Next week I’m actually going to Las Vegas to discuss this issue with the Association of Ringside Physicians. What I can tell you is something’s going to be coming….We want something to happen. I think that (caliper measurements) they’ve had some good success with that. So I think that is certainly coming. Another thing I think is the gold standard and something I wold support is hydrostatic testing to determine the minimum weight that you can fight at for the year….Those are two ideas.

What we have right now is not working…What really got me into a panic, so to speak, was after the UFC (177) here in Sacramento, the day of the weigh-in. We have two of our fighters unable to weigh in, or licensees, because they’ve lost too much weight…I think that’s a problem. That’s want kind of stirred me to start taking action.

The A.R.P. is certainly on board with doing something. They issued their statement last year about weigh-ins…(once) we establish the lowest weight…that lowest weight be placed on the fighters permanent record both with the A.B.C. (Association of Boxing Commissions) database and the Fight Fax database….When a commission pulls the Fight Fax and looks up a record, we can see right here and we can make sure they are not contracted for less than that amount of weight.

You can find the full interview here - http://combatsportslaw.com/2014/10/28/andy-foster-rapid-extreme-weight-loss-reform-coming-to-california/

I don't like weight cutting but some commission telling a fighter what he can weigh is not the answer... What if he has lots of muscle starting out and decides to lose some of it? Just make it a rule you can't dehydrate before weigh ins and check a guys hydration level that simple change would go a long way IMO...

fightcity - I don't like weight cutting but some commission telling a fighter what he can weigh is not the answer... What if he has lots of muscle starting out and decides to lose some of it? Just make it a rule you can't dehydrate before weigh ins and check a guys hydration level that simple change would go a long way IMO...
But who says what is the appropriate hydration level? A commission? But you don't want the commission telling the fighter what they can and can't do essentially is what you're saying so that doesn't work.

IMO, do what boxing does for some fights. Have a contracted weight you can't be over the day after the fight. If you are over you either get fine or DQ'd. A fighter won't risk going into a fight dehydrated so, they will cut less weight to ensure on fight day they feel the best they can. Problem solved Phone Post 3.0

There has been a lot of talk about regulating weight cutting, but now that Andy is involved I expect that we will see changes soon. It will be interesting to see what they do, and how it works out Phone Post 3.0

Brigham - 
fightcity - I don't like weight cutting but some commission telling a fighter what he can weigh is not the answer... What if he has lots of muscle starting out and decides to lose some of it? Just make it a rule you can't dehydrate before weigh ins and check a guys hydration level that simple change would go a long way IMO...
But who says what is the appropriate hydration level? A commission? But you don't want the commission telling the fighter what they can and can't do essentially is what you're saying so that doesn't work.

IMO, do what boxing does for some fights. Have a contracted weight you can't be over the day after the fight. If you are over you either get fine or DQ'd. A fighter won't risk going into a fight dehydrated so, they will cut less weight to ensure on fight day they feel the best they can. Problem solved Phone Post 3.0

We already know what reasonable hydration levels are for the human body it doesn't matter what your weight is at. So by testing that we know that guy has not lost weight do to dehydration only from training and diet over the course of preparing. It's simple and easy and can be done at the weigh ins.

If you check their weight after the fight idiots will cut weight after the fight too.

If they are serious, it could end up like something like this:

http://www.ncaa.com/news/wrestling/2002-01-01/weight-management-education

very comprehensive.

Any wrestlers out there who have followed this protocol? What are your impressions?

^ that (or something close to it) is what I expect that will eventually be adapted. If that is what is decided, it will increase the burden on AC's quite a bit Phone Post 3.0

SC MMA MD - ^ that (or something close to it) is what I expect that will eventually be adapted. If that is what is decided, it will increase the burden on AC's quite a bit Phone Post 3.0

Yeah, that's the major drawback.

When you look at how they've thrown out the baby with the bath water with TRT, I'm a bit skeptical.