Anik: Why no Sports Emmy for Rogan?

UFC play-by-play commentator Jon Anik appeared recently on The Schmozone podcast and discussed his co-commentator Joe Rogan.

"The first time I ever worked with him was in 2012 at UFC 155," said Anik, as transcribed by Rishabh Singh for Essentially Sports. "I got the call on three days’ notice to do like my first pay-per-view. He embraced the same way as in early 2017 when I became the No. 1 guy.

"We’ve become great friends. People always ask what you guys talk about backstage. We talk about fighting. We talk about other stuff but the conversation always circles back to fighting. We’re so passionate about our love for mixed martial arts.”

“I don’t have enough superlatives for that guy. He’s the greatest of all time. I’m very disappointed that he hasn’t been given enough national recognition. Even though he doesn’t give a s***. I assure you.

“How has this man not been nominated for a Sports Emmy in the United States of America? I know it’s an old boys club a little bit but I wish he gets more mainstream recognition for how good an analyst he is."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBB0aZSQMnI&feature=emb_title

1 Like

Of course he should win one, but who gives a fuck about mainstream awards. They mean nothing and Rogan knows that. He does whatever he wants, and I highly doubt he cares. Nice words from Anik, though. 

1 Like

Anik did well on the podcast, I like the guy much more after. cool to hear him dropping all the f bombs, not sure why but was cool to hear Anik in his true self

In for later. Schmo's podcast is fast becoming one of the best MMA podcasts.

knappster -

Anik did well on the podcast, I like the guy much more after. cool to hear him dropping all the f bombs, not sure why but was cool to hear Anik in his true self

When I started listening to his and Florians podcast, I was surprised to hear how much he swears. It's his own platform and he still tries to dial it back a bit because he swears so much.

Nytron -

I like the guy a lot when he drops the goofy persona 

RichardGere'sMissingGerbil - 
Nytron -

He explained it in an interview - he had to do some kind of act to get noticed. Now that he's noticed, he can use his real talent.

Kirik -
RichardGere'sMissingGerbil - 
Nytron -

He explained it in an interview - he had to do some kind of act to get noticed. Now that he's noticed, he can use his real talent.

That's unfortunate that it took a gimmick to make a splash, but I appreciate the guy. I thought his recent interview with Dana was great.