Another damn Shin conditioning ?

I know to kick the bag, kick the bag, kick the bag.

(Been reading the posts for a couple of months)

But, is it better to kick harder on a softer bag or to kick lighter on a harder bag? Which is going to provide better results over the long run?

My gym seems to have a couple different type. The large 8ft tend to be softer... Then there are a couple of these others ones that are like rock near the bottom. Then there are you normal run of the mill 100lb bags.

Thanks

I personally would kick lighter on a harder bag for conditioning. But you still need to work the softer bag with harder kicks to develop your kicking power.

Khun Kao

How do you know when your shins are "conditioned" and if you do not kick for a while do your shins become "unconditioned"?

It still hurts like heck when I meet someone else's shin but I can kick a hard bag without problems. Does your shin show any physical changes that proves it is conditioned.

I never really knew if mine were "conditioned" or not.

Nutrishadow...

In my personal experience, I realized my shins were conditioned the day I was fooling around kicking a teammate and bounced a fast kick off of his knee. I didn't feel a thing!

The thing is, you have to keep working at it. And working at it, and working at it...

Khun Kao

you know your shins are getting good and hard when you can never figure out why guys always end up wincing on shots you dont even notice

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Should I work them until they are bruised each time or is that to much?

How many times a week should I focus on conditioning them?

How many months/years can I expect to put in before I notice a big difference.

Cause right now, if I even think of blocking a low kick it hurts like hell.

"Should I work them until they are bruised each time or is that too much?

Working them till you bruise is too much IMO. If you're hitting too hard, ease up or try a softer bag.

"How many times a week should I focus on conditioning them?"

As often as your body safely allows.

"How many months/years can I expect to put in before I notice a big difference."

Entirely variable of course, depending on several factors. Most likely, you'll notice a big difference in months.

Lautaro

Okay I need to ask something on this thread as well.

All I've got is an old canvas 75 lb Everlast heavy bag, how do you recommend I make the most use of this bag to condition my shins and body?

Kick the bag with slowly making sure you "connect" with the RIGHT part of your shin. Do this for as many reps as you can. When you start to feel uncomfortable STOP and massage your shin to get the blood flowing. You may also want to use some oil to aid you in this massage. When you feel you are ready to continue start the process again.

A'ight thanks man.

you can also roll your shins with a rolling pin(as well as kick the back).... this has worked well for me