Another gripe w/Fantasy Baseball

I forgot this in my previous rant.

ERA.

Some parks are much more homer run friendly than others. Pitchers that pitch in those parks tend to have ERAs that are higher than those that pitch in pitcher friendly parks.

A 4.00 ERA at Coors Field isn't the same as a 4.00 at Tiger Stadium.

I've seen some stat sites that have ERAs adjusted to ballparks.

Just another vent.

era also deals with defense somewhat......

well PatK, you just have to factor that into your draft strategy and stay away from Colorado pitchers. 

On the other hand, the hitters numbers are likewise inflated.

"well PatK, you just have to factor that into your draft strategy and stay away from Colorado pitchers. "

Yes, but other parks are also home run friendly (Atlanta, US Cellular for example).

It's just that some pitchers I really like, who are effective and good pitchers (the kind you'd want in real life) are not good for fantasy baseball, based on where they play a majority of their games.

Ballparks can make a lot of average guys either much better or much worse, but typically I think you see that the truly good pitchers succeed wherever they pitch, and scrubs struggle wherever they pitch as well.

Example: Look at Chris Young's numbers the last 2 seasons in Texas, and see what he's doing this year in the monstrous PetCo Park for San Diego. An average pitcher's numbers will be significantly different.

But there are also examples of very good pitchers doing well in homer-happy stadiums (Roy Oswalt's career ERA in MinuteMaid Park is 2.67) and gas can pitchers getting shelled regularly in the big parks (Victor Zambrano's numbers at Shea in his two years there are not what they were hoping for when they gave up Scott Kazmir, I'd bet).