Anthony Bourdain taps Igor Gracie...

Awesome stuff OP. VU Phone Post 3.0

Him and his wife were at 172 walking around our section a few times. I wonder if he became a Jim Miller fan during that event

WARRIOR POET - 
DTAlexONE - I like Anthony but I wonder if he feels emasculated at the fact that his wife trains around muscular strapping young man. Phone Post 3.0

as long as she doesn't grapple wiht black guys he don't give a fuck

No, grappling with them is ok, just no instagrams of them doing it...

i want he and ottavia to adopt me

they seem like great folks

i love her too.  she trains hard.  she is just awesome

Gustafsson Broke Bones -
WARRIOR POET - 
DTAlexONE - I like Anthony but I wonder if he feels emasculated at the fact that his wife trains around muscular strapping young man. Phone Post 3.0

No, grappling with them is ok, just no instagrams of them doing it...
Lol Phone Post 3.0

Kings21 -
nobones - 
Fabes - Hard to not like that guy. Phone Post 3.0
I like Bourdain well his old show anyways. But the over sensationalization over him and Ottavia in MMA media circles annoys me. Ottavia is very dedicated but she is a freaking blue belt. Why so much attention to a blue belt? Bourdain, per his own admission, only trains a few times a month! Who cares! I mean good for him but who the fuck cares about a guy that trains a few times a month. Phone Post 3.0

I just look at it as positive exposure for MMA. I'd rather see this story a thousand times than some story about some dude that told people he traned mma once and had a bar room fight and then killed a guy and the news outlets paint a picture of an MMA legend turned killer.
Agree to disagree then. To me it is making jiu jitsu more mcdojo friendly. Well awarding Bourdain stripes even though he only trains a few times a month. Phone Post 3.0

lol you have no idea of the details of bourdains training. 

renzo gracie academy is the furthest fucking thing from a mcdojo

ill trust renzo or igors judgement over handing out stripes over some internet guy who is 2000 miles from the situation. 

Ottavia trains hard and loves the sport.  its good exposure.  who cares if she is a blue belt?  why on earth does that even matter?  

WARRIOR POET - 

BigEyedFish - 

ill trust renzo or igors judgement over handing out stripes over some internet guy who is 2000 miles from the situation. 

Ottavia trains hard and loves the sport.  its good exposure.  who cares if she is a blue belt?  why on earth does that even matter?  

This. Completely, this. 

And Anthony is a legit celebrity who has developed a sincere appreciation for MMA and is now training (late in life) at one of the top schools in the country where his wife has been training relentlessly for the past few years. Neither of them are being given rank they can't defend rolling, so it's in no way bad for the sport or the art of BJJ. 

Also, somewhere on one of the #FranksFight threads, there's a pic of Anthony and the UG's very own Justin Wren shooting the breeze at Renzo's before Justin headed back to the Congo. They were swapping stories about that part of the world. It was an epic meeting of the minds that I absolutely hate I had to miss!

BigEyedFish -

I never said I knew the details of Bourdain's training. But I guarantee you that he isn't making any significant strides training 3-4 times a month as a white belt. He described how much he trains in an interview on bloodyelbow a couple months ago.

And sorry, ranking anyone at all who only trains around once a week is silly. Unless you are a very gifted person but Bourdain is not by his own admission. That sort of stuff smells mcdojo to me. I am not casting aspersion on the whole school just the act of ranking Bourdain when he very clearly has not really put the time in. Phone Post 3.0

that's tight, next thread.

nobones - 
BigEyedFish -

I never said I knew the details of Bourdain's training. But I guarantee you that he isn't making any significant strides training 3-4 times a month as a white belt. He described how much he trains in an interview on bloodyelbow a couple months ago.

And sorry, ranking anyone at all who only trains around once a week is silly. Unless you are a very gifted person but Bourdain is not by his own admission. That sort of stuff smells mcdojo to me. I am not casting aspersion on the whole school just the act of ranking Bourdain when he very clearly has not really put the time in. Phone Post 3.0

1 tip on a white belt.

Relax.

I think Igor is a better judge of a person's BJJ knowledge/ability than 99% of the people on the UG...and 100% of the people in this thread..

So now it's bad for celebrities to follow the sport and head over to Renzo's to train? You guys are fucking wack. Is MMA/BJJ only for nerds?

Don't be jealous of other people . Make your own life better, make it the way you want it to be and you never will say nagative things about another guy. 

Good for him.

nobones - 
BigEyedFish -

yes you exactly said you claimed to know the details of his training. You criticized him getting a stripe after training 'only a few times a month' - those were your exact words.  Im not sure how you can deny that, its all here in writing.  You claim to know this from an article that was published, when?  What about context?  Did Bourdain say anything else about his training that maybe didnt make the article's editors?  Bottom line is you are not there and are not in a position to criticize his promotion.  Period.  Its as simple as that.  

No it is not clear that he hasnt put in the time.  In fact, it is clear to his instructor Igor frickin Gracie that he has.  

I cant believe you say you never claimed to know the details of Bourdains training, then you go ahead and criticize his promotion based on your perception of his training program.  Are you just trolling us?  If not, ball up and stand behind your argument, as weak as it is.  

Bobby Lupo -

So now it's bad for celebrities to follow the sport and head over to Renzo's to train? You guys are fucking wack. Is MMA/BJJ only for nerds?

Don't be jealous of other people . Make your own life better, make it the way you want it to be and you never will say nagative things about another guy. 

Exactly Lupo! VU sir... Phone Post 3.0

Lupo FTW.  Im as big a defender of the integrity of jiu jitsu that you will find but the criticism that these two get is undeserved.  Especially Ottavia.  She is a serious student and brings a lot of exposure to the art.  The color of her belt is completely immaterial.  Her dedication and enthusiasm are all that matters.  

FETT_DiscipleDojo -
BigEyedFish - 

This. Completely, this. 

And Anthony is a legit celebrity who has developed a sincere appreciation for MMA and is now training (late in life) at one of the top schools in the country where his wife has been training relentlessly for the past few years. Neither of them are being given rank they can't defend rolling, so it's in no way bad for the sport or the art of BJJ. 

Also, somewhere on one of the #FranksFight threads, there's a pic of Anthony and the UG's very own Justin Wren shooting the breeze at Renzo's before Justin headed back to the Congo. They were swapping stories about that part of the world. It was an epic meeting of the minds that I absolutely hate I had to miss!

Epic meeting for sure. I had asked Justin if he had seen the Congo episode and he told me about meeting Anthony. Two cool guys right there. Phone Post 3.0

redwhiteandblues - was this at Renzo's or at Igor's school in new rochelle??
NYC. No way Igor's mats are that shiny yet. Lol Phone Post 3.0

Wait. Are we seriously debating whether or not somebody deserved the first stripe on their fucking white belt? Phone Post 3.0