Anthony Macias Interview (Part 1 of 3)

Part one is up at BoxingInsider.com, next two parts go up once a week:

http://www.boxinginsider.com/columns/everybody-game-plan-til-get-hit-anthony-macias-interview/

The next interview subject goes up here again on mixedmartialarts.com

Yes, we cover what happened at UFC 6 vs Oleg in more detail than I've personally ever seen (in parts 2 and 3)

Here's a taste:

Everybody Has a Game Plan ‘Til You Get Hit: The Anthony Macias Interview

Part One of Three: From Kickboxing to The Ultimate Fighting Championship

By William Colosimo | wcolosimo@yahoo.com

Former kickboxer Anthony “Maddog” Macias began his no holds barred (NHB) fighting career in the early days of the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC). After his stint with that organization, among other accomplishments Anthony competed in and won several eight-man NHB tournaments- each one requiring him to defeat three men, sometimes much heavier- in one night. This interview provides a closer look behind the scenes of the early days of mixed martial arts (MMA) in the United States, whether it be in the UFC or other NHB/MMA organizations.

William Colosimo: To start- are there any early fights, say from 1997 and before, that aren't on your Sherdog.com record?

Anthony Macias: Oh, man. Well yeah, they have those things called smokers back in the day. We'd just go to gyms, and Buddy Albin, the little weasel he was, manager (laughter), always managed to find a fight every couple months. Plus, I was doing a lot of kickboxing with Buddy, so that's where it all originated.

WC: The smokers you're talking about though, this wasn't so much NHB; this was kickboxing?

AM: No, it was more NHB. Like I did one in Atlanta one time for... who was that? Oleg Taktarov fought Renzo Gracie.

WC: Yes, at MARS (Martial Arts Reality Superfighting).

AM: MARS, that was it, yeah. They did a couple smokers before MARS to see who all they wanted to get into the tournament, and the whole package that they had. 'Cause they had a little thing before that. It wasn't the pay-per-view (PPV) event. They had another tournament that was like a smaller group of guys, or lower tier guys. (Editor’s Note: Earlier that night of 11/22/96 right before the PPV event aired)

WC: I think Mark Hanssen won that eight-man tournament that was never on PPV. From Pat Miletich's team, I believe.

AM: Yeah, I think so.

WC: And so, were you part of that event?

AM: I was part of that. I’m almost positive it was Amir (Rahnavardi) that got me. The damn guy got me in a leg lock (laughter). I had him in an ankle crank, and I made the rookie mistake of crossing my legs. Caught me with it underneath. Grabbed my heel, and pushed my shin against my calf and... yup. Good guy though. Yeah, there were a lot of people in that tournament. I mean, there was so much stuff before Sherdog was even created, man- you know once UFC started in '93, there was just… mayhem (laughter).

In for the description of the Severn fight, if he remembers it.

YOURDADDYDEVILANDLORD - 

In for the description of the Severn fight, if he remembers it.

He remembers it, and has a funny confession about the fight.

In

Up

In

Seemed to really enjoy Sakuraba kicking his ass.

Cecil Peoples Fan - I hope he was asked about the Oleg fight at UFC 6

Still seems shady to me

Got you covered brother.

cantuna4u - Seemed to really enjoy Sakuraba kicking his ass.

We get into that in part 3

William C -
cantuna4u - Seemed to really enjoy Sakuraba kicking his ass.

We get into that in part 3
I'm in.

Cecil Peoples Fan - I hope he was asked about the Oleg fight at UFC 6

Still seems shady to me

Isn't it common knowledge by now that he threw the fight, but without Oleg's knowledge. Oleg had trained with the Lion's Den and was "friends" with Ken Shamrock. Macias sure as hell wasn't going to take on Tank and he wasn't going to beat Oleg either, so why not just let Oleg go in at full-strength vs Tank.

I think he would have been willing to fight Tank, and he might have had a couple things in his favor vs Oleg (covered in the beginning of part 3)

In

in

Up

No one who I have ever respected less. He even tries v. Oleg, Tank outlasts him in the finals. Jesus, at least don't wink at Oleg beforehand. Don't even get me started on his heart tattoo.