Anthony Smith: I've got big decisions to make

UFC weight divisions jump from 185 at middleweight to 205 at light heavyweight. Paulo Costa cuts to middleweight from around 225, and last year was 214 on fight night. In 2018, Anthony Smith found he could no longer safely make 185, so moved up to a division 20 pounds higher. However, at Saturday's post-fight show, following a one-sided decision loss to Aleksandar Rakic, Smith, 32, said he's stuck.

“I stayed in kicking range at the beginning, which was obviously stupid now,” said Smith, as transcribed by Damon Martin for MMA Fighting. “He just beat up my lead leg and then we got in our clinch and grappling exchanges, which I felt okay in. He was so strong, so big. So I just ended up in some bad spots and it wasn’t really bad spots, he was just so tight on top, I couldn’t make any space. I guess just my biggest takeaway is that he was so big and so strong.

“I did everything I wanted to do in those positions but I just wasn’t able to finish some of them. I got to the clinch against the cage, I was able to get to his legs, it was just when I tried to return him to the mat, he was just so strong. I couldn’t get him bent over at the waist to get his weight on his hands. That’s what I keep going back to. I just felt like we were in two different weight >

“I’ve never been one of the guys that is out here pining and calling for more weight but my last couple fights, it’s kind of where my brain goes. I’m just too big for 185 and you start getting to these bigger, stronger, taller, longer guys, they’re just so strong. He wasn’t passing my guard. He wasn’t putting me in danger on the ground. I just couldn’t get up.

“I couldn’t get his hands apart. I couldn’t get his head off my chest to make any space to do anything. He wasn’t overly offensive. I even was releasing posture on his head to hope that he would posture up to punch so I could at least make some space to get up. Listen, he fought a great game plan. He did everything he had to do to win.”

“I think I’ve got some big decisions to make in my career and figure out where we go from here. It’s super frustrating to lose to a guy that you feel that you can beat.

“I don’t know. 185’s still really tough. It’s a total life change and it’s year-round. It’s not one of those things where I can get into camp and change my diet and cut down. It’s a complete life change. I guess that’s one of the options. I guess the other option is to take some time off and get bigger. I don’t know. I’ve got some things to decide on.”

1 Like

Smart, very well spoken guy. 

That said, I really believe his last fight really damaged him and shouldn't fight anymore.

Fire Woodley and have anthony on when ever they can. 

Man, it's so common for guys who start losing to go up and down in weight trying to capture lightning in a bottle again. Usually never happens. 

1 Like

Sounds like he is getting outmuscled at LHW and knows it. He would do well to go back down. Or retire for his healths sake.

Well spoken and Honest

1 Like
Taco Muncher -

Man, it's so common for guys who start losing to go up and down in weight trying to capture lightning in a bottle again. Usually never happens. 

This.

Or maybe Rakic was just better.

1 Like
boxy - Or maybe Rakic was just better.

Basically

He used to be in better shape he should stay at 205. But he needs to fix the mind first. I am sure he knows this 

If they we the same size it would have been a completely different fight if he wasn't in kicking range and if i actually saw the fight

1 Like

I've become a fan of Smith over the years.  He's painfully honest and objective. 

![](upload://3q86UB40eqHIQKDbNhClV24Dfue.jpeg)

Rakic is huge at 205 and Smith didn’t check any leg kicks. Those kicks were brutal. He’s such a likable guy. Whatever he does, I hope he’s successful.

Rakic looks inch taller around 6'5

rak might possibly have the steroid advantage

1 Like

Jon Jones isn’t a huge strong guy and did just fine at 205, with tiny legs also...... I’d say it’s more strategy related

I feel like he jumped in too soon. Why not get on a proper strength program and see what happens from there?

Bend The Knee -

I feel like he jumped in too soon. Why not get on a proper strength program and see what happens from there?

Smith definitely didn’t look in shape 

It didn’t look to me like Rakjc had a big size advantage. It looked to me like Smith didn’t really want to get up and face those leg kicks anymore. In the last round it looked like he had many opportunits to get up but felt safer on the ground.

He was stuck. He didn't want any part of the stand up and couldn't take Rakic down or sweep him. He was out unfortunately.