Anti-Vaxxers analogy.

Have you ever tried to convince an anti-vaccination person that they're wrong, and there's no real science behind their views, and they're just making everything worse for everyone? Not shockingly, it usually doesn't work. But you know what might actually help people on the fence decide? This great automotive-based analogy: the Anti-Brakers.

The Anti-Braker movement was started by Robert Moore Jr, a man who finally woke up enough to realize that brakes are applied in the vast majority of accidents, and nobody is even talking about the clear and obvious correlation between brakes and severe car wrecks. Phone Post 3.0

So, I decided to do my own research and what I found was staggering: Hundreds of people every year are seriously injured by unnecessary braking. One time, I was driving in the snow and I just lightly tapped my brakes and it caused my car to COMPLETELY LOSE CONTROL. My brakes could have very easily gotten me killed. Even more astoundingly is how often brake pads will warp and distort rotors, causing bumpy rides and squeaky wheels.

And you know what? I also found that decades ago brakes weren't even used! People would control their vehicle's speed with downshifting and engine braking. Maybe it's just coincidence, but back when engine braking was used there were almost no automotive fatalities. There were NEVER brake caused car accidents.

After doing some more digging, I found a nefarious plot - Mechanics: The very people who we trust to work on and care for our cars - get PAID to install and change brakes! You might THINK they care about our safety, or our cars - but they're just in it for the $49.99 brake pad installations. Phone Post 3.0

Based on his independent findings, he requested his mechanic remove his unwanted brakes from his car:

So I talked to my Mechanic about taking the brakes off my car and I was disgusted by how poorly he treated me. He accused me of being ignorant, when I was the one that looked up how much rotational torque brakes can put on your rotors. He didn't even know how much torque a rotor can take before being warped!!! He said "rotors are designed to be compressed, that it isn't actually a problem" just completely dismissing me.

Then he had the NERVE to say that my personal choice had consequences, that I would affect everyone around me. Well I've had it with him, I'm looking for a new mechanic. The problem is that so many mechanics are bought and paid by the automotive industry that ALL of them are insistent about my car having brakes. Most of them won't even look at my car for other reasons, saying that a brakeless car could cause damage to their shop and other cars. What a bunch of bullshit, they just don't like those who believe in alternative braking techniques. Phone Post 3.0

Now of course big government is getting involved, saying that I MUST have brakes. That this isn't just about me, and that I could hurt people. What happened to personal freedom? What happened to liberty? Phone Post 3.0

Why would i give a shit about convincing anti vaxxers of anything.

Exactly. What happened to liberty, sheeple? What if your children were in that car? Would you want a set of government-enforced brakes on there, even when we know that many of the materials used to make those brakes are known carcinogens? Brakes are also completely unnatural — nowhere in nature does any animal have brakes, drums or disc. Phone Post 3.0

Lol

Post that to Facebook and watch the stay at home moms lose it.

Mark Phone Post 3.0

Airbags might be a better analogy though.

You can cite all the instances of facial burns and injuries from the bags deploying and compare that to the pre-airbag era where these injuries never occurred. Then the nanny state federal government forced automakers to install them and we all pay the increased costs to support big corporate airbag!

Mark Phone Post 3.0

So now you've convinced a bunch of anti-vaxxers that they don't need no brakes.

Dodge135 - So now you've convinced a bunch of anti-vaxxers that they don't need no brakes.
Good.

Now we just need to convince them there is an anti-vaxxer rally with parking on the edge of a cliff. Phone Post 3.0

I see your point OP but the anti-vax crowd's arguments aren't quite as simplistic as some are making them (e.g. most believe in either delaying vaccinations until they determine their child is ready or picking vaccinations that cover the truly deadly viruses vs things like chickenpox). Using your car analogy they would use the brakes when they were needed they wouldn't necessarily drive around with their brakes pressed at all times.

I'm not an anti-vax person but I get a little nervous when people start talking heavy about mandatory vaccinations and child protective services being called on anti-vax parents. Do you really want the government to have that kind of power? I would be very afraid if the government acquires the power to force vaccination or any medical procedure on one of its citizens.

To be fair, when people didn't use brakes cars weren't as popular, people didn't go faster than 20 and the population of people were significantly less....but I see your point Phone Post 3.0

http://avwos.thespudd.com/im-an-anti-braker-gravity-is-all-i-need/

duckdentistry - I see your point OP but the anti-vax crowd's arguments aren't quite as simplistic as some are making them (e.g. most believe in either delaying vaccinations until they determine their child is ready or picking vaccinations that cover the truly deadly viruses vs things like chickenpox). Using your car analogy they would use the brakes when they were needed they wouldn't necessarily drive around with their brakes pressed at all times.

I'm not an anti-vax person but I get a little nervous when people start talking heavy about mandatory vaccinations and child protective services being called on anti-vax parents. Do you really want the government to have that kind of power? I would be very afraid if the government acquires the power to force vaccination or any medical procedure on one of its citizens.
This is the more important point. I think it's a red flag when someone jumps on a cause 100%, whether for or against. That's when confirmation bias almost always comes into play, and big things are overlooked on all sides.

There is a gray area when it comes to things like this, vote up duck. Phone Post 3.0

BadRobot321 - 
duckdentistry - I see your point OP but the anti-vax crowd's arguments aren't quite as simplistic as some are making them (e.g. most believe in either delaying vaccinations until they determine their child is ready or picking vaccinations that cover the truly deadly viruses vs things like chickenpox). Using your car analogy they would use the brakes when they were needed they wouldn't necessarily drive around with their brakes pressed at all times.

This is the more important point. I think it's a red flag when someone jumps on a cause 100%, whether for or against. That's when confirmation bias almost always comes into play, and big things are overlooked on all sides.

There is a gray area when it comes to things like this, vote up duck. Phone Post 3.0

the truth does not lie between two "extremes". there is only one "extreme" side to begin with. evidence is on one side. dangerous foolishness on the other.

Anti vax is about as stupid as it gets.... There is not "debate"

However i dont think the government should be forcing people to have medical procedures. People have the right to be fucking stupid.

as long as they don't bring their kids to public school.

This is Genius Trolling!

I cant wait for the polio outbreak and knowing my kids are safe from a disease that was basically eradicated in every half ass civilized country for decades until people decided it was safe to not protect their kids.

Anti vaxers are becoming worse than evangelists, atheists, vegans and homos.

lol awesome