Antibody tests are not legit

https://youtu.be/2_9y1hxbjUU

If you're not immune after producing antibodies, why are we even bothering to work on a vaccine given that a vaccine works by triggering the production of antibodies?  Or is there some other way a vaccine works? 

I want someone to explain to me how they can tout herd immunity.  Polio, measles, mumps, etc etc... don't these shoot the idea of herd immunity in the foot?  

Cuckoldberry Finn - 

I want someone to explain to me how they can tout herd immunity.  Polio, measles, mumps, etc etc... don't these shoot the idea of herd immunity in the foot?  

they actually do. Many vaccines wear off after years, but since everyone was vaccinated there’s a herd immunity for those whos vaccines have worn off.

He’s not saying the antibody tests are not legit. He is saying that he doesn’t think they are helpful since we don’t know if you can be reinfected. OPs title is a little misleading.

OK...

Yea I guess I'm OK with making some assumptions.  

If you have antibodies and have had no symptoms or had some symptoms that went away (meaning you fought off the disease)...well I'm going to go out on a limb and risk the likelyhood of reinfection  and act as if I'm immune.

The going wisdom right now is you most likely can obtain at least temporary immunity to this virus.

I'm going with that.  I'm currently good with that risk.

I'll go ahead and get the test.

1 Like

ok, but f you have antibodies and have been asymptomatic, then you likely don't have to be personally concerned about getting it, whether you are immune or not

Not impressed. Antibodies are accepted for other sicknesses, seems very biased. Keeping the economy shutdown will lead to order of magnitude of deaths from grief. 

1 Like
cruedi -
Cuckoldberry Finn - 

they actually do. Many vaccines wear off after years, but since everyone was vaccinated there’s a herd immunity for those whos vaccines have worn off.

But the reason that situation works is because a vaccine exists

bartos - He's not saying the antibody tests are not legit. He is saying that he doesn't think they are helpful since we don't know if you can be reinfected. OPs title is a little misleading.

Actually he's kind of saying both.

He claims there are a lot of fake positives, and a lot of fake negatives. So if you test positive or negative, it's still not known for sure.

In addition to the tests being unreliable, he claims even if your test is correct, and you test positive for the antibody, you may be able to become reinfected.

The regular "flu" can people get that then get it again, in the same season/strain? 

Any real reports of someone being 100% clear of covid and getting it again?

They still don't know if antibodies prevent reinfection? Can't they just find someone who had it and have an infected person spit in their mouth and see what happens? Or maybe use a more scientific method?

Braf Zachland - 

The regular "flu" can people get that then get it again, in the same season/strain? 

Not a long enough time for it to have been around for this to matter. Will be interesting to see if people are getting reinfected next year around this time. Hopefully immunity is long lasting and not like the common cold.

DFW3 -

They still don't know if antibodies prevent reinfection? Can't they just find someone who had it and have an infected person spit in their mouth and see what happens? Or maybe use a more scientific method?

Ya as crude as this is why don't they do that? It's been like 4 months. How the fuck have they not tested that. Don't give me the it's not ethical bullshit 

DFW3 -

Antibodies do prevent reinfection. They already know that. They just don't know how much antibodies prevent reinfection and for what percent of the population. It could turn out that 20% of the population (maybe with certain similarities) still get reinfected when they have antibodies after 6 months or something like that.

It's not as easy as grabbing a couple people with antibodies and attempting to reinfect them artificially.

Before someone goes and corrects me. Maybe it's not scientifically proven yet but everything they know about viruses and all the experience with current cases suggests that people are immune. People aren't getting reinfected. But is there a segment of the population who would get reinfected? They need to obviously figure that out and that's much harder to figure out.

TzTinkle -
Braf Zachland - 

Not a long enough time for it to have been around for this to matter. Will be interesting to see if people are getting reinfected next year around this time. Hopefully immunity is long lasting and not like the common cold.

I can see people getting it next season if it mutates like the flu. You can get the flu numerous years right? 

Braf Zachland - 
TzTinkle -
Braf Zachland - 

I can see people getting it next season if it mutates like the flu. You can get the flu numerous years right? 

Yea, and some people can catch a cold twice in the same season.

bartos - He's not saying the antibody tests are not legit. He is saying that he doesn't think they are helpful since we don't know if you can be reinfected. OPs title is a little misleading.

I want one just to know if I had it or not.

Jayn200 -

Before someone goes and corrects me. Maybe it's not scientifically proven yet but everything they know about viruses and all the experience with current cases suggests that people are immune. People aren't getting reinfected. But is there a segment of the population who would get reinfected? They need to obviously figure that out and that's much harder to figure out.

I had chicken pox twice as a kid, 5 and 9.