Anxiety & Depression - OG support thread

FRAT.  I have been dealing with anxiety for years, and have felt periods of sadness off and on.  I took steps on my own over the past year (meditation, keeping a journal, more regular exercising, and better sleep) which helped for a time, but those were band-aids not a solution, and my situation has gotten worse.   It was only recently that I accepted that it wasn't just feeling anxious or sad, but truly an anxiety disorder with moderate depression.  On paper, I have a great life - healthy, happy family; wonderful relationships with my wife and daughters; good job; nice house; strong faith; etc.  So why do I feel this way?  I always thought I was just wired to be concerned about all the little details - time, organization, what could happen, etc.  In many ways this compelled me to do well, but over the past six months it has lead to what I feel is a breaking point.  I have been on vacation the past couple weeks, and with this time away, I have had space to think - which has not been good for someone who's mind is constantly racing 100% of the time.  I have woken up many days in a panic over irrational things, things that I can't control, and things that are not immediate concerns.  I have been going back and forth between feeling numb and profound sadness out of nowhere.  I'll break down and cry to myself for no reason.  I return to work tomorrow and am petrified about what could happen if this gets any worse, so I'm finally taking the step to seek help.  I am on my way to see my doctor and ready to accept his recommendations - whether it is medication, therapy, or a combination of the two.  

I know there are a lot of others out there who are dealing with anxiety and/or depression.  I am starting this thread as a place for OGers to both ask for support as well as offer it to each other.  Whether you are in the depths like I am or you have been successful in getting to a better place, your comments and insights are welcome... and sincerely appreciated.

See your doctor.  Trust him.  There are millions of people out there dealing with what you are going through.  Contrary to what the amateur doctors on here will tell you, medication will most likely help you tremendously.

Depression runs in my Dad's family.  I have dealt with it for 25 years.  Meds definitely have helped me.

I hope it works out for you, whether its therapy or meds. I get anxious as fuck and overthink everything too, which does not lead to overall happiness. I am trying theanine again but the big issue is sleep. I take OTC sleep pills almost every night but never feel rested. I feel like if my sleep improves everything else will be a bit better.

Seriously though, good luck to you.

Thanks for the comments and encouragement.  I just left my doctor’s office and have a plan in place, including medication.  I feel a sense of relief at taking the first step, but am nervous about the unknown of what is to come.  

Dick Niaz - 

Thanks for the comments and encouragement.  I just left my doctor’s office and have a plan in place, including medication.  I feel a sense of relief at taking the first step, but am nervous about the unknown of what is to come.  

Best thing you could have done. Don't worry about what some people think about meds - if you don't like them, nobody is going to make you keep taking them. I've been dealing with the same things for about 22 years. I'm doing ECT treatments now and they seem to be helping, but I've only had 2 treatments. Good luck!

Dick Niaz -

Glad you did it.  A few months you will look back and regret that you didn't go to the doctor years ago 

Good luck bud,I had anxiety disorders and even panic disorder in my late teens/early 20's. I don't think I truly realized the extent that I had Generalized Anxiety for most of my life until I once took a xanax and felt ..."Damn, is this how life is supposed to be?"

What I've found to be the fastest acting treatment is to do the positivity challenge. It's basically CBT on steroids. Every single thought you think has to be turned into a constructive,rational or positive thought. If you have anxiety disorder, you know that you can think 50 negative thoughts a minute. To complete this challenge you just have to constantly, constantly, change every negative thought into a positive one. All day long, every single day, until your habitual way of thinking becomes rational, constructive and positive and not negative. This usually takes about a week.

Obviously, completing this challenge is easier said than done. But it's just about the best thing you could ever do for yourself. It's also not the only thing. There's exercise,sleep, meditation, diet, nature, deep-breathing exercises and muscle relaxation exercises. And if needed, meds. It seems like you are doing at least some of these already.

I'm very glad you are getting help. The most important attribute to have to beat anxiety and depression is the right attitude. Not a defeatist attitude, but more like you are Rocky Balboa and the anxiety is Ivan Drago. You are going to train your ass off (by doing all the dr.'s recommendations) and kick this things ass.

Theanine and tyrosine for a litte boost

Dick Niaz - 

FRAT.  I have been dealing with anxiety for years, and have felt periods of sadness off and on.  I took steps on my own over the past year (meditation, keeping a journal, more regular exercising, and better sleep) which helped for a time, but those were band-aids not a solution, and my situation has gotten worse.   It was only recently that I accepted that it wasn't just feeling anxious or sad, but truly an anxiety disorder with moderate depression.  On paper, I have a great life - healthy, happy family; wonderful relationships with my wife and daughters; good job; nice house; strong faith; etc.  So why do I feel this way?  I always thought I was just wired to be concerned about all the little details - time, organization, what could happen, etc.  In many ways this compelled me to do well, but over the past six months it has lead to what I feel is a breaking point.  I have been on vacation the past couple weeks, and with this time away, I have had space to think - which has not been good for someone who's mind is constantly racing 100% of the time.  I have woken up many days in a panic over irrational things, things that I can't control, and things that are not immediate concerns.  I have been going back and forth between feeling numb and profound sadness out of nowhere.  I'll break down and cry to myself for no reason.  I return to work tomorrow and am petrified about what could happen if this gets any worse, so I'm finally taking the step to seek help.  I am on my way to see my doctor and ready to accept his recommendations - whether it is medication, therapy, or a combination of the two.  

I know there are a lot of others out there who are dealing with anxiety and/or depression.  I am starting this thread as a place for OGers to both ask for support as well as offer it to each other.  Whether you are in the depths like I am or you have been successful in getting to a better place, your comments and insights are welcome... and sincerely appreciated.

Good luck, man. I am glad you are taking the first steps.

The thing that helps me the most by far, is to put on headphonea and go for a long walk outdoors...like 1-2hrs in a natural setting, alone. Pick music that just helps you zone out.  Afterwards it's always a huge reduction in anxiety 

In. I've struggled with what I call "low mood" pretty much my whole life. It includes things like constantly worrying and ruminating on the past as well as general social isolation a lot of the time. 

This is a major reason I spent much of my adult life involved / obsessed with 'action sports" like climbing or skiing, then bjj and combat sports  etc. Because while doing them you can only focus on the moment and the inner voice is silenced. They also give focus and goals to work towards / a sense of purpose and accomplishment. 

I've also dabbled a bit too heavily in drugs at times for the same reasons. 

I have never tried any anti depressants or other psychiatric drugs because of the fear of becoming dependent on them and what I know could be a hellish path. 

Self medicating with all that exercise and semi dangerous activities had its own negative effects. Tons of injuries, surgeries, chronic pain, and almost dying once. 

Now facing the back 9 of life without the ability to really so those things anymore I'm finally forced to try and confront and fix whatever the underlying problems are.