Anxiety/Panic & MMA -- Part 2

Trying finding the cog distortions in this sentence:

"I'd have the worst time because I'd always be on the defensive and not try to hit the other guy. My legs would feel like they weighed a ton, and I'd feel paralyzed."

ttt

The things that sovann is saying are dealt with in the book I mentioned. It is laid out in a workbook style that will help you identify your thought process etc so that you can identify and hopefully correct the negative thoughts that are building up to your anxiety attacks.

It was recommended to me by a councilor I saw a few times for anxiety. It might be a good option for someone that can't afford to see a professional and who doesn't want to go the medicated route (like me)

Keep us posted. Good luck.

Sovann, thanks for your detailed posts. Great info.

Lies down on psychiatrist's sofa

I've come up with a theory as to why I do get very anxious even in situations where I'm not directly involved (e.g. watching a friend get into a confrontation with someone else). When I was growing up and my parents argued or fought, it would some times end up in physical abuse (dad hitting mom). So I used to always get this anxious feeling whenever it seemed like my parents were on the verge of arguing. Therefore, I suppose the obvious analysis is that I've come to associate ANY type of confrontation to my parents fighting, and that's why I get nervous or fearful.

But this doesn't explain why I have a hard time sparring or the incredibly panicky feeling I get when I'm face-to-face with some punk who wants to throw down. Is it just inexperience with fighting or is it a screwed up body chemistry that can only be fixed with medication? Not sure.

I admit that I've never really been in a fight -- don't know what it feels to get knocked out or to really hit someone out of sheer anger. A part of me thinks that the solution would be to join some hardcore fight club to really just throw myself in tough situations and maybe I'll just get used to it....

So any fight clubs in So. Cal? :)

MuaySteve, I'll definitely check out the book, as well as the one recommended by Lahi and ironmongoose.

(Admittedly, I've generally been hesitant about checking out books because I've always believed that fear can only be conquered by actually going out and doing instead of just reading about it.)

But I'll give it a shot.

"A part of me thinks that the solution would be to join some hardcore fight club to really just throw myself in tough situations and maybe I'll just get used to it...."

puts pipe in mouth, replies from behind sofa

what do the other parts of you think?

Oh no, you're not going to make ME come up with any answers. That's what an mma.tv psychiatrist like you is for ;)

Not sure if any of this will be helpful to you, but it's an interesting read.

http://www.asktog.com/columns/066Panic!.html

Sovann - Good stuff. I had bad anxiety attacks for about a year. BJJ is the only thing I have found to rid myself of anxiety. Long runs (3+ miles) worked also, but running sucks IMO.

The key is to know there are ways to deal with the disorder and that is a very common thing. When I felt like I was losing my mind or the only one with anxiety, it was scary. Then I realized we are all screwed up alittle, so it's not a big deal.

Xanax helped, but it is def. addicting. Stay away from the meds if you can, but take them if you must.

lol. One part of you said this though - "I've always believed that fear can only be conquered by actually going out and doing instead of just reading about it.)" :)

What's the difference in feeling really pumped/excited about something (like riding a roller coaster) and feeling "panicky" and anxious?

Elusive, systematic desensitization is also known as progressive desens. The emphasis on "progressive"...so you might want to reconsider throwing yourself into a fight club fight :).

Also how do you react to grappling situations?

You seem to wonder about how you react or will react to a "real" fight. "Real" fights are not the same as sparring. It's hard to undo your natural emotional response though considering what you saw between your parents. That sucks.

ttt

"But this doesn't explain why I have a hard time sparring or the incredibly panicky feeling I get when I'm face-to-face with some punk who wants to throw down. Is it just inexperience with fighting or is it a screwed up body chemistry that can only be fixed with medication? Not sure.

I admit that I've never really been in a fight"

Man, you're just scared! No big deal. Anyone who has even been in a street fight, and I mean a real one thats gonna be left to happen and not get broken up, knows two things:

1 - You get pretty scared/nervous/anxious right before, its just normal. I'm no toughguy, but i've been in a few scraps where everyone just let it go down one on one. I felt nervous/anxious each time.

2 - All that will DISAPPEAR as soon as you get punched in the face. You won't be scared anymore. You'll be fighting on instinct and you may surprise yourself.

Most Important - You're smart to be scared because your instinct is telling you to avoid a dangerous situation. Don't fight unless you have no choice. There are too many people who don't give a shit about mma, boxing or bjj and will put a shiv in your back.

As far as sparring is concerned, I felt like you described my first time, and theres a funny story that goes with it but I already made this damn post too long. If you wanna hear it email me at aml1107@hotmail.com or i'm on aol IM name AML904.

Bottom line, don't sweat it, you're ok.

"#2 - All that will DISAPPEAR as soon as you get punched in the face. You won't be scared anymore. You'll be fighting on instinct and you may surprise yourself."

Maybe. Not everyone reacts well to getting takedown or clinching much less getting punched in the face.

Fighting on instinct can be a bad thing. Most folks flinch, turn away or extend their arms. All things you try to overcome with training.

ttt

"Then I realized we are all screwed up alittle, so it's not a big deal."

TheMatador, true, very true :)

ttt

Thoughts --> Feelings ---> Behavior

At each point along this chain we have a choice. Do I react positively and reframe the thought into a positive and gain positive energy or do I amplify the negative and spiral downward?

Panic can be amplified by negative thoughts and feelings about the behavior.

You hear the words, "Let's get it on!" will you think "Oh crap! I'm going to get stomped!" or will you think "Hell yeah! Let's do this!"

You look down and see you hands shaking. Will you think "Damn it! I'm freaking out! I'm losing it!" or will you jump up and down, breathe, shake it out "I'm ready! The juice is flowing! Let's roll baby!"

You look across at your opponent, "Oh no. He looks like Tank." or "He'll gas. I've got too much for him."

You step on the mat. "I hope I don't get worked today." or "This is going to be fun. I'm glad I'm here today."

You start hyperventilating. "Oh no! It's happening again! I'm going to look stupid!" or "It's okay. I've been here before. It'll pass. Just breath and chill."