Any Bicycle Experts on Here Norco Crossover....

My friend (girl) wants to buy a cross between road and mountain bike (crossover bike?) for mostly exercise riding (she does spin classes) on paved roads 80% of time) roads, and a few unpaved roads (20% of time), and perhaps 5% of the time on some light trails.

She was looking at a Norco XFR Forma 3 for about $700 or so.

Is this a good buy for her needs? She is goin gto test ride it soon, but doesn't know much about bikes at all and neither do I.

I found a link with I think are the specs for the bike she'll be getting. Thoughts? She doesn't want to spend too long going to different stores, but is not sure if this is a good bike?

Here is the link:https://www.norco.com/bikes/city/crossover/xfr-forma/

Thoughts?

Here are specs from link, let's see if they paste properly.

FRAMESET
Frame XFR Double Butted 7005 w/Chainstay Disc
Fork SR Suntour NRX-D 75mm w/lock-out
Rear Shock N/A
WHEELS
Rims Double wall alloy 700c x 32hole - Black
Tires Schwalbe Hurricane 700x40c w/RaceGuard
Tubes Shraeder valve tube
Front Hub Sram 306 Disc Hubs - 32h - Black
Rear Hub Sram 306 Disc Hubs - 32h - Black
Spokes/Nipples Black stainless w/brass nipples
DRIVETRAIN
Shifter Front Sram X5 27speed Trigger
Shifter Rear Sram X5 27speed Trigger
Shifter Casing Shift housing - Black
Front Derailleur Shimano Acera FD-M390
Rear Derailleur Sram X5 - Black
Cassette Sram PG-920 11-34T 9 speed
Crankset Sram S650 3.0 Power Spline 48/36/26 - Black
Bottom Bracket Sram Power Spline Cartridge BB
Pedals Alloy pedal - Black
Chain Sram CN-PC951 9speed
Chain Tensioner N/A
COMPONENTS
Seat Post Norco Alloy 31.6mm - Black w/White
Seat Post Clamp Alloy w/bolted clamp - Grey
Saddle Norco Forma Urban - Black
Headset FSA ZS-4D ACB Cartridge w/12mm spacer
Headset Spacer 2x5mm Black / 1x5mm Grey - Alloy
Top Cap Alloy w/Norco Logo - Grey
Stem Norco - Black w/White
Handlebar Norco 25mm Riser - Black w/White
Grips Women's Dual Density Ergo - Black/White
Front Brake Avid DB-1 Hydraulic Discs w/160mm Rotor
Rear Brake Avid DB-1 Hydraulic Discs w/160mm Rotor
Brake Levers Avid DB-1 Hydraulic Discs
Brake Cable Casing Avid hydraulic hose
Specifications subject to change without notice.

Anyone on morning crew?

see bellow

Nice bike - the set up is basically an urban mountain bike.  If she's looking to cruise around the neighbourhood or tackle some hard packed trails this would be fun.  I wouldn't want to commute on it though.  It looks like you could upgrade the size of the tires and throw noby tires on it so you could get some more use out of it on less maintained trails.

From the mix you describe though I'd say look at something like this as well (lighter, better shifting more fitness geared).  If she's been spinning the above bike may become boring pretty quick.

You'd have to check how wide of a tire you could mount here but this would be, based on what you've said, a potential better fit with her riding style.  If she wanted to go more racy even then I'd look at something like:

My sister is in Vancouver and she has something a lot like this - she wasn't a 'bike' person but now can't imagine not having something like this.  

Toki Wartooth - 

Nice bike - the set up is basically an urban mountain bike.  If she's looking to cruise around the neighbourhood or tackle some hard packed trails this would be fun.  I wouldn't want to commute on it though.  It looks like you could upgrade the size of the tires and throw noby tires on it so you could get some more use out of it on less maintained trails.

Thanks for advice!
Basically, she wants a bike for "exercise" riding on paved roads to replace spin class BUT she does not want a road bike with thin tires (an insecurity of hers - won't do it), nor does she want thick knobby mountain bike tires that drag on road. In that context, is this good for her purposes?
Will she enjoy some fast biking on paved roads mxed with light occasional trails and some small dirt roads that haven't been yet paved?

"If she's been spinning the above bike may become boring pretty quick."

What do you specifically mean by this?

HotSteppa - "If she's been spinning the above bike may become boring pretty quick."

How often does she spin and is she serious or is she just showing up for some cardio.

The bike she's looking at has different geometry from a spin bike and if she's using the bike to replace spin she'll get bored as this bike won't be fast. Plus the front fork will feel soft when and if she stands on the pedals. I meant to look at some tire comparisons do you but you can get fairly wid cyclocross tires that don't look or feel like skinny road tires.

I picked some Norco examples for you but I'd encourage her to ride a couple of bikes so she knows what she's getting.

Toki Wartooth - 
HotSteppa - "If she's been spinning the above bike may become boring pretty quick."

How often does she spin and is she serious or is she just showing up for some cardio.

The bike she's looking at has different geometry from a spin bike and if she's using the bike to replace spin she'll get bored as this bike won't be fast. Plus the front fork will feel soft when and if she stands on the pedals. I meant to look at some tire comparisons do you but you can get fairly wid cyclocross tires that don't look or feel like skinny road tires.

I picked some Norco examples for you but I'd encourage her to ride a couple of bikes so she knows what she's getting.

Thanks for your opinions, I'm trying to sway her a bike similar to the one she posted.<br />Right now she has a 6-speed heavy, steel cruiser meant, well for cruising. She is looking for a bike where she can go do an hour of exercise riding (paved roads) to get a workout in. Her bike right now isn't cutting it as it is obviously slow and hard on her knees due to the weight.

I meant, you posted.
I talked to her and she is concerned about her knees and the weight of the bike. Is the weight of the bike I posted a light bike? Obvoisly not going to be as light as a $3000 bike, but is it light for a $700 bike?

HotSteppa - I meant, you posted.
I talked to her and she is concerned about her knees and the weight of the bike. Is the weight of the bike I posted a light bike? Obvoisly not going to be as light as a $3000 bike, but is it light for a $700 bike?

Well? Did she try out some bikes?

Toki Wartooth - 

Yeah!
She took your advice and got this:
https://www.norco.com/bikes/city/urban/indie/indie-3/

Thanks for your help, dude!

do not buy bikes with shitty suspension forks

you're better off wit a rigid fork

Toki Wartooth - 

I'm getting into cycling and thinking of getting this bike as my first. What do you think of this bike for a beginner?

http://www.sportchalet.com/product/fuji+sportif+2.3c+road+bike+-+blue.do?sortby=ourPicksAscend&refType=&from=fn

Double

gregbrady - do not buy bikes with shitty suspension forks

She got one without suspension.

HotSteppa - 
gregbrady - do not buy bikes with shitty suspension forks

She got one without suspension.

good

HotSteppa - 
Toki Wartooth - 

Yeah!
She took your advice and got this:
https://www.norco.com/bikes/city/urban/indie/indie-3/

Thanks for your help, dude!

Awesome! What does she think?

Carlos_Kent - 
Toki Wartooth - 

I'm getting into cycling and thinking of getting this bike as my first. What do you think of this bike for a beginner?

http://www.sportchalet.com/product/fuji+sportif+2.3c+road+bike+-+blue.do?sortby=ourPicksAscend&refType=&from=fn

Looks like a fun ride. I don't know much about Fuji but that looks fast and fun!