Any body use resistance bands ?

Hello

I have added bands to my training and find them to be very challenging . I do my routine based on a 60 second load period with a 20 second rest five time per exercise . What do you guys think of then and what are your routines like.

Thanks

1 Like

YES! I use bands every day with my clients and I use them every time I workout.

TAKU
T.N.T.

1 Like

I got a set of Lifeline USA TNT Power Cables and a Lifeline USA Chest Expander for Christmas and I've done a 4 or 5 workouts with them so far. I'm still in the farting around phase with them. Seems like great gear.

I've used the TNT cables to simulate standard barbell, dumbbell and cables exercises (ie squats, lunges, chest press, shoulder press, bicep curl, tricep pressdown etc.). Some of these required using the included door attachment. You can also use them for resisted footwork drills if you have some kind of belt you can attach one or both handles to (I use my weight belt).

On youtube I saw an old black and white video of a Japanese guy using lengths of bicycle tube tied to a tree to practice judo throws. I tried this with the TNT power cables fixed to a door at about shoulder height. Instead of grabbing the handles directly I looped a hand towel through each hadle and used those instead. Sort of simulates gripping a gi and gives the grip a little extra work.

For the chest expanders I did a search for chest expanders and strandpulling. Strandpulling used to be a competitive sport in Britain (maybe it still is?) so I just picked a few of the competition exercises to try. The ones I settled on are the Front Chest Pull, Downward Pull (knuckles in and out), Back Press and Lateral Raise. I'll probably try some of the others later.

I'm sticking to straight sets for the time being. Maybe I'll try timed sets or some type of circuit later on.

I use the tube type (with handles). If you know what youre doing with them and you use a decent anchor point, you can get some decent workouts in. Good pump if you super set them. I often do supersets of Flyes and Rows, 10 of each x 4 sets. Or curls and shoulder press, or standing chest press and face pulls. If you use strong enough bands, its no different to weights IMO.
I have 3 sets of bands so i have variety in the tension i use and slowly load up more bands as i progress. There are tons of youtube vids out there to get ideas for circuits too. Im a big fan.
Ive defo seen a noticeable different in physique since using them consistently. They key is, progressive overload, either with higher reps or gradually increasing tension with more bands or moving further from anchor point.

I used to use X3Bar and have now upgraded to Harambe System.

Band/bar/plate systems are where it’s at.

episode 19 clipboard GIF

2 Likes

I use the lifeline power cables, and have a Variety of jumpstretch bands, the mini band are great for squats and push-ups. I do lots of mobility work with them.

Jon Fitch is a fan

1 Like

Would like to hear more on your thoughts in general.

Anything in particular you’re interested in?

In general:
The need for just a plate, a bar, and some bands means your home gym setup needs about 1x1m of space and can pack away into smallish size flat shape. You’ve got an awesome home workout regardless of space and storage. Easy to travel with as well and get in your workouts.

The plate and barbell means that the awkwardness of bands is almost completely removed. Once in position everything is locked in place and you can concentrate on posture and the exercise.

The lack of joint soreness was a revelation to me. I’ve lifted for 20+yrs and while joint injury is easy to detect the general soreness of joints and muscles blended together to the point I (like most people) considered it one and the same. Because with band training the start point of any exercise will have very little resistance, its so much gentler on the joints in unsafe/weak biomechanics positions. As you get into safer and stronger points of the range the resistance force of the bands progressively goes much higher than you’d be able to do with weights.

As someone in my 40s with a lifetime of wear and tear and sports injuries, the ability to train muscles to exhaustion while leaving the joints alone meant I was hooked from day one. Made me realise how much of weight training is just aggravating joints and then needing to recover from that.

Because the recovery ends up much faster, you can work out a lot more. A lot of older guys are working out 6 days a week with their band/bar/plate system (whatever brand they have). Programs vary but I really like short and intense and then going about my day. I do the alternating push/squat and pull/deadlift days 6 days per week. Its part of the morning routine and I’m done in in 20-25 minutes and then I pack the shit away before the family is even up.

To clarify as well, these aren’t your average bands. They’re thick, multi-layered latex and there are only a few companies that make them. ‘Serious Steel’ is probably the best. They can provide REAL resistance and the larger/stronger bands have noticeable weight to them. I say this just because when you begin to talk bands people picture the stretchy rehab material at the gym, or even worse tubing. Guys come over and have a go and are shocked at how much force can be produced. … when I first bought it my big ego thought many people were lying and I bought one of the ‘elite’ bands sold separately. Its like an industrial belt you’d find in an engine and I can’t do 1 rep on the deadlift. …I bring it out just for the lulz to show people who want to have a go, to show this stuff is legit.

Is it better than weights like some of the brands claim in the marketing? …probably not. If you’re young, genetically gifted, got the time, and your goal is to get massive, weights are almost definitely the way to go.
But I’m approaching mid 40s with no time, no space, and a lifetime of wear & tear and this has allowed me to get in better shape over the last year than I’ve been in since my early 30s. Its better for me and those like me IMO

2 Likes

Interesting read… I have been using bands a lot more over the last few months then conventional lifting.

1 Like