Any car painters here?

What's the money like? I've never painted a car but I ran a refurb shop for an office furniture company and enjoyed it when I had to get in the paint booth when one of my guys called out. Something about the spraying process and then seeing your work after you put a nice paint job on something is satisfying. What is the process for getting into something like this and how is it as a career? Starting money working for someone else vs eventually owning your own shop one day?

MojoSoDope - 

What's the money like? I've never painted a car but I ran a refurb shop for an office furniture company and enjoyed it when I had to get in the paint booth when one of my guys called out. Something about the spraying process and then seeing your work after you put a nice paint job on something is satisfying. What is the process for getting into something like this and how is it as a career? Starting money working for someone else vs eventually owning your own shop one day?

The painter for my hot rod shop client (accounting) makes 75k a year plus bonuses to start

My best friend is the sole mechanic @ a body shop. Both he and the painters make around 100k/yr not including side jobs.

Not sure how much the body guys make

Just like anything, pat depends on quality and to a degree, what area you are in. A talented painter in a well off area will make more than a maaco 99 dollar paint job sprayer. 

You could start out specializing in doing touch-up work. A buddy of mine went to school for a few months and makes good money now just fixing scratches and minor dents for car lots and individuals.