Any chance of a 10th Planet opening in Toronto?

Why isn't there a 10th Planet affiliate in Toronto or the GTA (Greater Toronto Area)? Really surprised considering the strong jiu Jitsu community in the GTA.

Closest one is an hour east of Toronto in Peterborough.

I saw that OpenMat (downtown Toronto) was once an affiliate years ago and a quick Google search only shows one instructor at Toronto NoGi (Midtown Toronto) has studied it.

Does anyone know of any future plans of opening one here?

I wish Phone Post 3.0

Eddie doesn't decide it. It has to be a upper belt from the area that contacts Eddie and has to go through the process. It's pretty hard to open up one. Look at the process on the 10th planet forum. Phone Post 3.0

I heard a bunch of the top gyms out there are connected to organized crime.

time traveling 12er - I heard a bunch of the top gyms out there are connected to organized crime.
Details? Seems to be pretty common in the Canadian MMA scene... Phone Post 3.0

What happened to Ari and his 101 submissions? Phone Post 3.0

Kid Vicious - Why isn't there a 10th Planet affiliate in Toronto or the GTA (Greater Toronto Area)? Really surprised considering the strong jiu Jitsu community in the GTA.

I saw that OpenMat (downtown Toronto) was once an affiliate years ago and a quick Google search only shows one instructor at Toronto NoGi (Midtown Toronto) has studied it.

Why ? Are you looking for somewhere to train? Why 10th planet? Have you checked out Toronto Bjj? Do you not train in the gi?

Tbjj is a massive gym, people with all different styles etc... Phone Post 3.0

Blows me away when people are looking for these tiny little gyms with no experience etc when there are world level champs, massive deeply skilled pools of people training right down town.

People who train all different guards, traditional, new styles, etc Phone Post 3.0

uberpinscher - Blows me away when people are looking for these tiny little gyms with no experience etc when there are world level champs, massive deeply skilled pools of people training right down town.

People who train all different guards, traditional, new styles, etc Phone Post 3.0
$$$$$ Phone Post 3.0

Rudi - 
uberpinscher - Blows me away when people are looking for these tiny little gyms with no experience etc when there are world level champs, massive deeply skilled pools of people training right down town.

$$$$$ Phone Post 3.0

You are trying to tell me the primary motivation for people asking about a 10th planet moon or affiliate is its reputation as a low cost training location? Nothing to do with the "new to bjj", lack of knowledge, neoprene sockie wearing crowd it typically attracts?

AgedCaviar - What happened to Ari and his 101 submissions? Phone Post 3.0
He is in Victoria, on the other side of the country. Phone Post 3.0

uberpinscher - 
Kid Vicious - Why isn't there a 10th Planet affiliate in Toronto or the GTA (Greater Toronto Area)? Really surprised considering the strong jiu Jitsu community in the GTA.

Why ? Are you looking for somewhere to train? Why 10th planet? Have you checked out Toronto Bjj? Do you not train in the gi?

Tbjj is a massive gym, people with all different styles etc... Phone Post 3.0

1. Why? I enjoy 10th Planet's methods.

2. Are you looking for somewhere to train? I would be interested, yes.

3. Why 10th planet? Same answer as Q1, but also b/c after 4 years training JJ, BJJ, no-gi I have personally felt it has been more beneficial for me when combined with my MT, Boxing & wrestling training with an aim to hopefully compete in ammy mma comp down the road.

4. Have you checked out Toronto Bjj? Yes

5. Do you not train in the gi? I have, but, as mentioned above, prefer no-gi.

Also, not trying to start a whole gi vs no-gi argument or the history of gi and the why gi should be practiced even with no-gi.

I just simply have a preference for no-gi over gi and I just wanted to know if a 10th planet affiliate was ever going to open in Toronto given that it looks like it tried once before with OpenMat.

Thank you to poster Rudi, btw, for the response. Didn't know that. I'll take a look and maybe ask around on the 10th planet foroum.

It blows me away when keyboard warriors who have never competed or trained in combat sports/martial arts try to degrade 10th planet Phone Post 3.0

I would look for the school with the best instruction in grappling. Nothing in 10th planet you won't find at any good BJJ school. Phone Post 3.0

uberpinscher - 
Rudi - 

$$$$$ Phone Post 3.0

You are trying to tell me the primary motivation for people asking about a 10th planet moon or affiliate is its reputation as a low cost training location? Nothing to do with the "new to bjj", lack of knowledge, neoprene sockie wearing crowd it typically attracts?

We get it, you are very partial to tbjj. do you own tbjj?

I'm just annoyed that 10th planet in Portland Oregon is so far deep into the City and not closer to my house. Phone Post 3.0

I live in Peterborough OP Phone Post 3.0

10th planet gym here is pretty small Phone Post 3.0

Phil999 - 
uberpinscher - 
Rudi - 

$$$$$ Phone Post 3.0

We get it, you are very partial to tbjj. do you own tbjj?

Hi Phil,

No, just a member. I use all kinds of resources in my training - MGinAction, BJJ Library, Ryan Hall Instructionals, Mastering the System, etc... in addition to the most important resource - the people you train with in person and learn from in person.

People actually give me a hard time (jokingly) and call me Evan Bravo... I am a big fan of EB. My comment above was pretty sarcastic I will admit.

That being said, when looking for a place to train, like Jewbacca said, I look for the place with the most experienced grapplers and the deepest knowledge.

It just makes me sad to see someone reducing the quality of their training and or not training at all for some superficial requirement of needing to train under one type or another.

So you find a 10th planet gym and its the same handful of people day in day out. To me the requirements you should be looking for is:

experience of instructors
types of training partners
schedule
the mindset and methodology of their training approach

True true Jewbacca and Jitzuuu.

If you're familiar with these GTA/Toronto guys, I have trained in the past, primarily in no-gi, under Rob "Spider" Dicenso, Misha Cirkunov, Darson Hemmings & some others to name a few. As you can see, I've bounced around gyms in the GTA quite a bit :-)

I just like learning from difference disciplines, instructors.