Any Chicagoans train at Degerberg?

You know what's even better than pancakes by themselves?

A bunny with pancakes!!!

I went down to Degerberg once to check it out and see if I wanted to train there.

They gave me a class list and times, but would not allow me to watch any classes. Because I was not yet a member of the gym, I was not even allowed to tour the gym! This sets off alarm bells for me.

Latter I saw a "private, members only" video of the "Master". He looks very out of shape. He recommends stealing sugar packs from resturants so you can open them and throw suger in an attackers eye. Enough said?

If this were the only game in town then I'd say try it for a month, but Chicago is the third largest city in the US, there are lots of great gyms.

Date: 09/14/06 05:42 PM
8906 Total Posts Ignore User

I think Degerberg isn't really an MMA school - somewhere between MMA and TMA.

I was thinking the same thing. Growing up I thought it was trditional tma's but after reading up on this guy, it turns out he was one of the first teachers to start "cross training" if you will. My friend also told me that they have mma classes pretty much all week.. We'll see, I guess.

Pancakes AND bunnies!!!?!???!?!?!?!!? You cant go wrong!!!!!!!!!! lol

Hey Rebel, how long ago was this? The reason I ask is because when my guy went there, they gave him the brochures right away and offered him a tour right off the bat. Maybe they changed their ways OR the guy that you spoke to was a lazy ass!

As far as Degerberg himself, I know he's old and chubby but he's a grandmaster I read. Thats not a title they just give away, Im guessing. Im not doubting him at all, just the instructors he has.

I do agree with you, there are alot of places to train around here. I appreciate your feedback, guys.
I'll just cut and paste all this info and send it to my boy. Including the pancakes!

He posts on Sherdog. Weird guy.

You serious, CrazyJoe?!

It's been three years, so maybe it's changed. I will tell you that the video I saw of Degerberg himself was a complete joke! That said he seems to have a lot of classes and maybe good coaches for each sport, I can't say, I've never seen behind the curtain.

yeah.

Date: 09/14/06 06:26 PM
2820 Total Posts Ignore User

He looks like Yoda with a goatee. I've seen him walking around with a japanese kimono like thing on, and think he even had a walking stick. Really strange dude.

Lol! Well, I shouldnt laught too hard.. Ive see Shonie wearing pretty much the same thing you just described.. ;)

Anyways, I found this article on him and his school. Pretty interesting read.. Scroll all the way to the bottom.

http://www.blackbeltmag.com/document_display.cfm?document_id=459

I'm a high green belt at Degerberg - been there since April '05. It is expensive, but I like it because they train you in things that are practical. We do stand-up and ground. You can take special classes for muay thai, boxing, wrestling, kali, etc.

Oscar Bravo is a former head teacher. I still see him around all the time - he trains people in boxing for $50 an hour. He's a professional boxer now, but has great kickboxing credentials. The guy could be amazing at mma if that's what he wanted to do. He schooled Shonie Carter in kickboxing and is (I believe) undefeated in professional boxing. Also, one of the instructors is Rita Figueroa who is a professional boxer and also undefeated.

Date: 09/14/06 06:43 PM
178 Total Posts Ignore User

I'm a high green belt at Degerberg - been there since April '05. It is expensive, but I like it because they train you in things that are practical. We do stand-up and ground. You can take special classes for muay thai, boxing, wrestling, kali, etc.
Oscar Bravo is a former head teacher. I still see him around all the time - he trains people for $50 an hour. He's a professional boxer now, but has great kickboxing credentials. The guy could be amazing at mma if that's what he wanted to do. He school Shonie Carter in kickboxing and is (I believe) undefeated in professional boxing. Also, one of the instructors is Rita Figueroa who is a professional boxer and also undefeated.

Robo - thats the type of info I was looking for to pass on to my buddy!

I wouldnt doubt Oscar has beaten Shonie in kickboxing. Do you know what style? I Do know Shonie's pretty tough in Shidokan and Ive rolled with him, he pretty much has extensive knowledge in every aspect but props to Oscar!

But I know he's not undefeated as a boxer, he got smoked by Antwun Echols in the first round, I believe but there's no shame in losing to a guy who fought Bernard Hopkins twice..

What are the prices like after that first month? How often do you go and what do you take?

Sorry, you're right - Oscar isn't undefeated but hasn't lost since '02. Definitely a badass, though.

I go twice a week - the classes are just divided into Blend 1, Blend 2, etc. I'm in Blend 3 - Blend 1 is pretty basic - kicks, punches, stance, etc. Blend 2 incorporates kali and more advanced techniques, Blend 3 we start light sparring and doing grappling. The $160 a month is for two blend classes a week plus you can go to certain free classes (check the schedule, I'm not sure when all of them are) and you can add classes for $10 each if you want to take a boxing class, wrestling, etc. There are a lot of cool people there who are willing to help you out and you can come in any day of the week to work on the bags, look for people to spar / grapple with, etc. There's also a very small weight room, but I lift weights at my gym since the equipment is a lot better.

To the best of my knowledge, no one competes in MMA out of there. So for MMA, it doesn't make sense to train there. I don't know if they regularly have students competing in grappling, or boxing, or knockdown karate, or BJJ, or Judo, or kickboxing, or anything else.

This is not to say, at all, that you cannot learn a lot of useful stuff there.

But if you want to get good at this sport (MMA) there are some other great options in Chicago.

This is a full on TMA school. The comment made previously by the person with the green belt should tell you that. I lived in Chi-town in the 90's and he was big with the whole karate thing back then. What Kirik said is correct, if you want to fight MMA this is not the place to go. If you want to learn to walk around with your chest puffed out and beat someone up with a cane, then this is the place.

What's a TMA school?

Thanks guys, Ill be sure to firward the msg along.

thanks again

tma=traditional martial arts. I called once and asked if they offered Gracie jiu-jitsu and they said no, they teach master degenberg's grappling style. I asked what he has competed/trained in to give him grappling credentials. They had no answer. I went to dino's instead.

no mma gyms in chicago? there are several.

You know I lived in the appartment next door to Degerberg, Dude is like 5'8 245 lb. Not necessarily muscle. I don't expect owners/Masters instructor to have some stereotypical appearance of fitness,

Like 6 pack abs or anything like that, but at least try to take care of yourself. He is known as the grandfather of Martial Arts business wise in the Chicago area.