Any early morning workout people?

Plan to start tomorrow.   I used to be a gym guy in my single days before kids.  That was almost 5 years ago now.  My body and health is suffering for it.  Evening workouts are out of the question due to kids and family time.  

How much sleep is required?  I'll need to be out of the house around 4:45 -5:00 to be in gym 5:00-5:15, approximately an hour to hour 15 gym time gets me back home around 6:30 to shower before getting kids up about 6:50.

Amazing how hard it is to find time for working out with 3 young kids all under 3.

For those that workout early how long did it take for it to become a routine?

I work out in the morning but my gym is in my house so it’s easy.  Plus I just can’t do it in the evenings.  I’m dead tired after dinner.

I have a Y membership...i hope it's not crowded

Yeah I go when my gym opens at 5am. I like working out on an empty stomach, and it’s helps boost my metabolism for the day.  I tell people it’s hard for like a week, but then your body will crave it. Good luck

Do you do a bar or any food?

In. Making this transition as well. 

I work out at 6am for an hour several times a week due to my shifts... it’s a bitch to get used to and can be a real drag in the winter months but if that’s your only way then you gotta suck it up and do it....

I always drink no a coffee and eat around 5.30 as I couldn’t get through the workout without it..... 

on the plus side, it wakes you up for the day and you feel good in the evening knowing you have done your session for the day

Festus -

No food or bar. One cup of black coffee or on rare occasion, some c4. I feel flat if I workout after I eat

late night for life

I’m going to start this as well.  I have a squat rack at home.  But fuck I do hate mornings.   

Eggbert -
ugctt_warjimmiller -
Festus -

No food or bar. One cup of black coffee or on rare occasion, some c4. I feel flat if I workout after I eat

That's because your pre workout nutrition sucks. If you can workout without eating prior you're going as hard as an 80 year old lady in Pilates class 

And Dr. Brososph H. Huskyfats has spoken!

ChomskyBlackBelt -

I think you’d be a lot better off exercising at home OP.

Seriously, just pick up some dumbbells, watch some YouTube videos to get some ideas for various exercises.

Add running and planks to your routine.

You would be amazed at the shape you can get into just by doing this.

Plus, you’ll save money on a gym membership. ; )

Agreed

The hardest part of working out is just getting out of the house and to the gym. Sign up for beach body on demand or use YouTube or something like that and your chances of success will triple IMO.

You’ll get more sleep to which is a big factor. 

Eggbert -
ugctt_warjimmiller -
Festus -

That's because your pre workout nutrition sucks. If you can workout without eating prior you're going as hard as an 80 year old lady in Pilates class 

Seems like I’ve heard quite a bit about fasted cardio.  Is that a myth?  I always start with 30 mins of sprints, stairs etc, then lift.  

ugctt_warjimmiller -
Eggbert -
ugctt_warjimmiller -
Festus -

Seems like I’ve heard quite a bit about fasted cardio.  Is that a myth?  I always start with 30 mins of sprints, stairs etc, then lift.  

And If I only have an hour/hour 15 to workout, im not going to stop and eat before I lift

, although there is one guy that everyone hates that comes with all his supplements in their big jugs.  Instead of just bringing a blender bottle with it prepared, he comes to the gym with the container of pre workout, a container of bcaas, and the giant whey protein container.. he spends 15 mins of his workout everyday preparing these drinks, while doing some rep max.  Then he eats those quest bars and beef jerky. He’s bad.  

ugctt_warjimmiller -
Eggbert -
ugctt_warjimmiller -
Festus -

Fasted cardio is one thing.... fasted lifting is another..... if you are going to do cardio and lift in one session I would always lift first then do cardio second...

I work out at home. Up at 3 a.m., working out from 4 to 5, then it's get ready and off to work. In bed between 7 and 9, normally closer to 7 cuz I like 8 hours of sleep.

Eggbert -
ugctt_warjimmiller -
Festus -

Crap, that's not what I wanted to hear. What do you normally eat before a workout and how long before hand?

I get up at 4:30. At gym by 5. 3x/week

It is best in the morning. finally worked out at the gym with some buddies as I typically just. lift at home with weights too light. surprisingly strong now..the lighter weights built me up properly over time. it is nice to actually be sore again from lifting.

And I am 0 for 1 on getting up and going