Any electrician OGers?

King Trav - 

I usually just jam my screwdriver against the terminations on the cap and whatever is close that is grounded. They might be using a wire because the frame is too far from the cap. 

You’ll be fine as long as you’re just  holding the  screwdriver handle and not touching anything in the arcade itself.  

Just sack up and do it.

If you’re really concerned you don’t need any special gloves. Rubber dish gloves will be fine but it’s really not required.  

lol @ the “Don’t Be A Pussy School of Electricity”.

Thanks for the tip about not touching anything in the arcade when I ground this thing. And I will definitely be wearing rubber dish gloves, thanks for that tip.

Also, I unplugged the arcade two or three days ago. It’s probably been long enough right? If not, how long should I wait?

Canooke -
King Trav - 

I usually just jam my screwdriver against the terminations on the cap and whatever is close that is grounded. They might be using a wire because the frame is too far from the cap. 

You’ll be fine as long as you’re just  holding the  screwdriver handle and not touching anything in the arcade itself.  

Just sack up and do it.

If you’re really concerned you don’t need any special gloves. Rubber dish gloves will be fine but it’s really not required.  

lol @ the “Don’t Be A Pussy School of Electricity”.

Thanks for the tip about not touching anything in the arcade when I ground this thing. And I will definitely be wearing rubber dish gloves, thanks for that tip.

Also, I unplugged the arcade two or three days ago. It’s probably been long enough right? If not, how long should I wait?

Yeah. You’re fine. 

He died

RIP Canooke

papa pump -

He died

RIP Canooke

What a wuss. 

I still haven’t done it yet. I just ordered some serious electrician’s gloves, and some thick neoprene rubber rain boots. Going to finally do this.

I’m going to attach a jumper cable to the cabinet’s frame on one end, and the screwdriver on the other end. Then I’m going to be the bravest person in the world and stick the screwdriver in the electro-shockey part. Will this work?

Oh yeah, I’m also going to keep my left arm behind me as I do this.

If you want to be even more careful, instead of holding onto the screwdriver you should use electrical tape and tape it to your rubber dildo’s tip end while you hold the dildo’s nutsack and then you can stick the screwdriver into the buzzy slot.

Hmmmm, could I potentially damage my dildo?

The good thing is that if I wreck my dildo I can just order another one online. Not like the old days where you had to go to the stag shop and interact with the cashier and try to pretend you’re not feeling humiliated. “Ummmm, yeah, I’ll pay with Visa. No, no, cash.”

Would this work or is the charge in the CRT too much?

Amazon.com: Golden Age SnufferStick High Voltage Discharge Stick: Musical Instruments

I’ve had the CRT unplugged for a couple of months.

I’m also an electrician, but of course know nothing about arcade games. Listen the Trav. Is it just a capacitor? Honestly man, it’s not gonna hurt you. Just discharge it.

There are things to be scared/respectful of in an electrical system. A capacitor isn’t one of them.

Thanks man. I am definitely not an expert have have definitely gotten the impression that these CRTs hold a nasty charge. I think if it’s plugged into the wall it can stop your heart. If it’s been unplugged a while I don’t think it’s on the same level but it still holds some charge.

I did it. I discharged that fucker yesterday (I don’t think there was anything to discharge, actually). But yeah, I stuck that screwdriver in the danger hole. I removed the monitor board and now I just have to ship it to the uber tech guy, which I’ll do soon.

1 Like

I just got the monitor board packaged and shipped. Excited to get it back in pristine working order and play some Street Fighter II. GOAT game.

1 Like

Thanks newbie. I had sadly accepted that nobody gave a fudge and then I saw your VUs. I’m excited to get the work done and then get back to playing my game. I love the game. The guy I sent the monitor board to is brilliant at what he does and he’ll not only fix the problem but he’ll just give it tlc all over and refurbish it.