Any endurance athletes/ultra runners out there?

Long-time OG lurker, 1st time OG poster...

I eas wondering if I have any fellow OG endurance athletes out there, particularly ultra-runners?  My primary question is have any of you run the Rocky Raccoon 100 and/or live in the Huntsville area and could give me your opinion on the trails and/or the new course?

A little background on myself as I know it always comes up but let's not get into what I have done/am doing to prepare so as to criticize, however; I have no problem answering questions in regards to this crazy sport of ours...I was a D1 swimmer who got into triathlons (9th at the USAT ultra-distance nat. champs 2017 (ironman distance)) and then ultrarunning in my 30s...first race was a 100k nearly a year ago and I have run all ultra distances up to the 100...

I feel well prepared and my training has gone well and a solid performance is very attainable and yes I have gotten a lot of info elsewhere but interested in the idea that I have some mma/ultra running brethren out here...

Deathandtaxes is who you need.  I'll go poke him on Facebook(no homo) 

In

I'm already sick of you.

is it really UltraRun or Ultra-walk?

can someone really run 100k or is there really a good amount of walking involved?

I read that ultra distance runners usually have a much shorter life expectancy than average. 

RIP OP

i like to see how many hours i can sit on my couch in a row

i am on 6

Burt Reynoldz -

I read that ultra distance runners usually have a much shorter life expectancy than average. 

RIP OP

yep, if we push the system too hard then eventually it will break.  

Ttt 

karasu -

can someone really run 100k or is there really a good amount of walking involved?

Its a walk

its easy

u should try it and report back

100 mile walk in 30 hours 

do it!!

I’m training for my 1st triathlon. I’d love any advice you could give. I am not allowed to PM you at the moment. 

I Used to do multi day adventure races and triathlons.  Although your way faster then I was at the IM distance so take my advice with a grain of salt.  Be familiar with your food and don’t get behind the calorie curve but you already know that

my experience with the really long multi day  ones is it’s hard to get enough calories in.  I’d aim for about 500 calories an hour but try and get some real food in at othe aid stations when you can.  I noticed that my feet would swell about the 3rd day of a race.  You won’t be out that long but it might not be a bad idea to have a change of shoes in a larger size about half way through if you have support. 

Some trails around north Alabama are extremely rocky so watch your footing and be careful.  Good luck.  

Chip fwiw

i don’t think 500 calories per hour is in any way realistic

that is ALOT of food

i mean just think about it... if u do a 10 hour ultra ... 10 hours times 500 calories is 5000 calories 

5000 calories!!!

way overkill 

its not necessary, imo

Also consider drinking ur calories as opposed to eating Them by using something like tailwind 

karasu -

Shut the fuck up with this nonsense again

Russ -
karasu -

Lol

Russ -
karasu -

that's what TMA people used to say when their claims were questioned

Death and Taxes -
karasu -

Either way, I’d do it faster than you 

For an event like Barkley,  what % do you think is running?  

......and in those Ultra-Running Books like "Born To Run"(very entertaining) the author BIG FISHED about those Japanese monks which I present PROOF here where the monk does not claim a 1000 day RUN(like in the Ultra-Running books) and calls it a 1000 day WALK and those monks do not run/walk it all in 1000 consecutive days and take breaks as needed and so it can take a very long time to complete but that is not so exciting story to tell ;)

here in this 3 minute video the humble and HONEST monk calls it a 1000 day WALK:  

https://vimeo.com/212678272

Girly -

Deathandtaxes is who you need.  I'll go poke him on Facebook(no homo) 

This