Any excavation laborers here?

Job details and any other information is appreciated, thanks. 

As in, being the excavator operators helper? What kind of jobs are they going to be doing? I grew up running an excavator lol, my dad has had an excavation business for years.

U hold shovel

1 Like

John Travoltage -

As in, being the excavator operators helper? What kind of jobs are they going to be doing? I grew up running an excavator lol, my dad has had an excavation business for years.

The guys digging, carrying materials, cleaning up the site, etc. You know, laboring. You still an operator?

I would imagine a pair of high quality boots are key for shoveling with such regularity.

Floppy Divac -
John Travoltage -

The guys digging, carrying materials, cleaning up the site, etc. You know, laboring. You still an operator?

You gotta know the hand signals so the excavator doesn't rip something up while he's digging. Or near pipes. Lots of shoveling. Lots of grunt work. Good for the soul. 

1 Like

Ass n elbows

What about using the jumping jack?

definitely a lot hand shovelling.  especially around located utilities if working in a built up area.

1 Like

Floppy Divac -

What about using the jumping jack?

easy to tell which ones the boss.

fairly easy to use on a flat.

1 Like

Lol!!

What happened to nursing?

Pat Giles -
Floppy Divac -
John Travoltage -

You gotta know the hand signals so the excavator doesn't rip something up while he's digging. Or near pipes. Lots of shoveling. Lots of grunt work. Good for the soul. 

We call that guy an “Oiler” here.  I have two that are exceptionally good.  They’re the guys that signal the operator what to do with the bucket and also pot hole around utilities to “protect” them while we dig.  Their other responsibilities throughout the day are to sweep up any spoils that are not where they are supposed to be and then use a leaf blower to remove any dust/debris from where we dug.  

we primarily dig straight into our dump trucks so that we don’t have to sweep the streets after excavating.  For us it makes sense, we are contracted to excavate and install cleanouts on sewer laterals usually about 750/contract.  So we come into an area, dig at the property line and install our cleanouts and while the hole is open we install a CIPP, Cured In Place Pipe liner from the hole out to the city main.  Reconnect the cleanout and bed the pipe, then backfill. 

it’s a cool process and I’m fortunate to be the project manager/right hand man of the owners.  If you have any specific questions I’d be more than happy to answer anything I can. 

1 Like

Mountain Medic -

What happened to nursing?

I was never more than a CNA. And with my little boy I just don't see the ability for me to study as much as I'd need, spend time with him, finance my schooling, and give his Mom money. Also, I'd rather be outside grunting than working alongside a bunch of overworked and stressed out women. I also doubt I'd be able to land a decent shift as far as schedule goes. It's just not for me.

ABCTT_sakurabas ear -
Pat Giles -
Floppy Divac -
John Travoltage -

We call that guy an “Oiler” here.  I have two that are exceptionally good.  They’re the guys that signal the operator what to do with the bucket and also pot hole around utilities to “protect” them while we dig.  Their other responsibilities throughout the day are to sweep up any spoils that are not where they are supposed to be and then use a leaf blower to remove any dust/debris from where we dug.  

we primarily dig straight into our dump trucks so that we don’t have to sweep the streets after excavating.  For us it makes sense, we are contracted to excavate and install cleanouts on sewer laterals usually about 750/contract.  So we come into an area, dig at the property line and install our cleanouts and while the hole is open we install a CIPP, Cured In Place Pipe liner from the hole out to the city main.  Reconnect the cleanout and bed the pipe, then backfill. 

it’s a cool process and I’m fortunate to be the project manager/right hand man of the owners.  If you have any specific questions I’d be more than happy to answer anything I can. 

Much appreciated, thanks!

I had to be a labourer before I ran heavy equipment and I’ll be honest, it’s not fun. You’re in the hole shoveling heavy wet clay in the rain, spotting trucks or other operators working in tight areas, running little packers or day lighting utilities by hand etc. But it’s definitely a must if you’re going in to civil construction, you don’t get to just jump in an excavator, everybody works the shovel first. 
I remember having fat old operators who had been digging for 30 years and would never get out of their seat and help so when I finally got to run gear I said I’d never be like that. I always got out to help my labourer out, they’ll work harder for you. Now I’m in a different industry but I definitely miss the dirt sometimes lol

1 Like

I don't know that any of this is even realistic as I'm about to be 41 next month. But I'm a hard worker and I take pretty good care of myself these days. I'd like to give it a shot.

No offence but terrible way to make a barely get by on living.

Everything about it is miserable and endlessly monotonous.

And did I mention not much money? As in a high end restaurant waiter can make more.

Its a cunt of a job mate. 

Dryfly -

No offence but terrible way to make a barely get by on living.

Everything about it is miserable and endlessly monotonous.

And did I mention not much money? As in a high end restaurant waiter can make more.

High end restaurant servers with tips on a W2 make over 100k