Any Good Books on Vikings?

Just saw the new Assasins Creed Valhalla thread and that era in history has always been of interest to me. Do you know of any fiction and non fiction books that are a good read on the Vikings?

There’s a good movie about Erik 

The last kingdom series

1 Like

Balls Mahoney -

The last kingdom series

Seconded

1 Like

I recommend the saga of Harald Hardrada (transcribed in the 1300s). It's basically primary source material, but that guy was most likely the baddest man to ever live.  He fought in  wars against Finns, precursors to Mongols, Byzantines, Sicilians, Arabs, Bulgars, Danes and the English.  He served as the Byzantine emperor's head bodyguard, explored the world (down Russian rivers as far as the Mediterranean/middle East, and across oceans very possibly as far as Canada), ruled Norway and nearly conquered England before being killed by an arrow in the state of "berserkergang". 

Imagine being that well traveled and that seasoned as a warrior a thousand years ago.  I don't think you can do much better on the badass scale.  

1 Like

JohnanthanDoe -

I recommend the saga of Harald Hardrada (transcribed in the 1300s). It's basically primary source material, but that guy was most likely the baddest man to ever live.  He fought in  wars against Finns, precursors to Mongols, Byzantines, Sicilians, Arabs, Bulgars, Danes and the English.  He served as the Byzantine emperor's head bodyguard, explored the world (down Russian rivers as far as the Mediterranean/middle East, and across oceans very possibly as far as Canada), ruled Norway and nearly conquered England before being killed by an arrow in the state of "berserkergang". 

Imagine being that well traveled and that seasoned as a warrior a thousand years ago.  I don't think you can do much better on the badass scale.  

Also, they are making a spin-off of the TV show Vikings called "Vikings: Valhalla" that takes place a couple hundred years after the current series and will feature Leif Erickson as well as Harald, so I'm looking forward to that. However, the dude was so legit I'm afraid they can only fail to do it right.

Balls Mahoney -

The last kingdom series

This

Winning a Super Bowl for Dummies should be required reading for the entire team.

Read up on the Varangian guard. Not a specific book, as far as I know, but a good read on some of the things Vikings did other than plundering. 

samichlaus -

Winning a Super Bowl for Dummies should be required reading for the entire team.

This one hurt