Any hill sprint fans?

Completed my 1st ever workout of hill sprints this afternoon and I have to say it was as fun as it was painful. After warming up and doing some light ladder drills, I did three sprints up and jogged backed down. Rested 30 seconds, then did two sprints up and rested 30 seconds and then finished with one sprint and when I go to the top I shadow boxed for thirty seconds. Had a lung burn that I haven't felt in a while.

Anybody else here a fan of hill sprints? If so, how often do you do them and what do you do as far as sets,reps,distance,rest?

Thanks

I enjoy this one, from Infinite Intensity

100 meter hill

sprint up the hill
10 pushups
30 seconds shadow box
jog down
repeat x 8

I add sprints alot in the summer, after bodyweight cals etc. I did medium grade hill sprints last night. Then as a finisher I used small rocks and would toss it in the air. As soon as it would hit I would take off. Each one only lasts afew feet but good for acceleration.

hill sprints rule. great way to improve cardio and leg endurance/strength. also really good to help strip fat (weight). find a steep hill (steeper the better) about 50 - 100 metres in length and do 3 x 5 minutes worth of sprints. sprint up, jog down - simple. mix up the tempo for each round.eg sprint all the way up and down for one round then for the next round jog half way down, sprint all the way back to the top, jog to the bottom, sprint half way up, jog to the bottom, sprint back to the top etc, etc. awesome way to improve your conditioning. sprinting stairs also goooood.

Leigh - no, i am not a fan. in fact i hate hill sprints

+1

I think people enjoying hillsprints also enjoy having a red rubber ball in their mouths and being whipped.

I prefer stairs. I occasionally(sp) run at a set that goes up 15 steps has about a 10' flat area then more steps. There are twelve of these overall. I will do it like suicide sprints, which is a fitting name, by going to the top of the first set then down, then the top of the second set, down, and so on... no rest until you get to the top set.

JakeTyler - What's the best way to build endurance? Case closed. Running four hillsprints isn't going to cut it if you want real endurance. Look at any fighter with good conditioning, they all do distance work, the ones who don't are always sucking.

correct. long distance running is the best way to build endurance for long distance running. show me a fighter who limits his cardio endurance training to long distance running, though, and i'll show you a fighter that doesn't make it out of the first round.

brendan shanahan - 
JakeTyler - What's the best way to build endurance? Case closed. Running four hillsprints isn't going to cut it if you want real endurance. Look at any fighter with good conditioning, they all do distance work, the ones who don't are always sucking.

correct. long distance running is the best way to build endurance for long distance running. show me a fighter who limits his cardio endurance training to long distance running, though, and i'll show you a fighter that doesn't make it out of the first round.

ftw

"Do you know what sprints hills is good for?"

"Running hills faster."

Correct, sprinting is great and very useful, but it's not really endurance training. It's the opposite.

Yea like that GSP guy. He only ran sprints and his conditioning sucks.

i find it hard to believe gsp doesnt to long distance, im sure most people do. can it be your sole source of cardio training? probably not if youre smart. but does gsp probably go run a few miles a week? probably.

i know i personally will go for a 4-5 mile run, and 6-8 mile long bike ride once a week  just to clear my head and get the blood flowing. i dont even look at it as part of my training, more as something that i enjoy but with an added benefit.

-edited for accidentally typing somethign that would make me appear insane-

lol. I used to do nothing but long distance training and my endurance sucked (I used to race mountain bikes).

Then I read about interval training. Suddenly, my lap times on mountain bike races dropped dramatically and I had endurance to spare. I used to get tired after a hard 2 hour ride. Now, although I no longer race, I can easily go hard on the mtn bike for 4-5 hours with energy to spare.

MMA is not a long distance sport, it is a series of "sprints". Interval training is far superior. Same thing for sports like mountain biking. I realized that in a mountain bike race you actually are doing a series of sprints (uphills) mixed in with active rests (downhills).

I still do some long distance training because I enjoy going for a long road ride on the bike or a 4-5 mile run from time to time, but sprints changed my life as far as conditioning goes.

"but do you think the base you built with LSD was pointless/useless?"

Honestly? Kinda. I used to spend a hour a day on the bike during the off season at reasonably hard tension (I used a spinning bike). I did this for about 2 years assuming that it would make me a better mountain biker. It didn't at all. Basically I could go pretty hard for about an hour.

Then, one fall/winter, I learnt about interval/HIIT and did that all winter. Suddenly I was spending about 20 minutes on the bike, 2-3 times a week. The next summer I was faster than I had ever been.

I'd go riding with my buddies (who used to kick my butt) and when we'd get to a huge technical hill I'd ride up, back down and up again before they were up it the first time.

Same goes for MMA/Muay Thai. Looking back I wish I had never spend ANY time doing LSD training in the offseason and had only focused on HIIT.

Next summer I am going to do some triathlons, and I am going to be doing intevals on the bike, run and swim parts of my training exclusively.

"Do you know what sprints hills is good for?"

"Running hills faster."

Honestly, that is about the most retarded thing I've ever heard.

My experience would say "Do you know what running at a regular pace for 1 hour is good for?"

"Getting better at running for 1 hour."

Sports, especially combat sports, are basically series of sprints with periods of rest in between. Think about sparring for instance. Do you attack your opponent non-stop at a medium pace for 30 minutes straight? No, you attack then relax, defend then relax etc...for 3-5 minutes, then you get 1 minute of solid rest. Sounds like "sprints" to me.

LittleMick - 
canuck34 - MMA is not a long distance sport, it is a series of "sprints". Interval training is far superior. Same thing for sports like mountain biking. I realized that in a mountain bike race you actually are doing a series of sprints (uphills) mixed in with active rests (downhills).

I thought that way until I started training with wreslters.  Get a wrestler on your ass for five minutes straight and talk about a "series of sprints."  If by "series of sprints," you mean having someone come at you all out for five minutes straight, then yeah, I agree.  Somehow, I don't think that's what you mean.

They aren't like BJJ guys, where you'll be in guard, and both guys will breath for a second or two. 

Or striking where you'll throw a few blows, get your footwork, adjust your timing, etc.

Wreslters are on you non-stop.

Training with wreslters has totally changed how I structure my conditioning. 

I'm assuming that by this you aren't trying to insinuate that your conditioning now involves lots of LSD?  I kinda figured you for having your conditioning pretty much in check already.  What have you changed exaclty?  I have an idea, but don't want to assume anything more.  Thanks in advance for the reply

cheers.

"Do you attack your opponent non-stop at a medium pace for 30 minutes straight? No, you attack then relax, defend then relax etc...for 3-5 minutes, then you get 1 minute of solid rest. Sounds like "sprints" to me."

Um, how about running intensely for 3-6 minutes (and repeat) in order to prepare for 3-5 minute rounds.

Wouldn't that make more sense than running LSD for 60 minutes or running 30 sec intervals?

Not saying either LSD or short intense sprints should be ruled out. But doesn't middle distance running seem most specific for a sport built on 5min rounds.

Having a solid time in the mile seems a more likely predictor of a fighter's condition than his 100m time.

LittleMick - 
1armedScissor - I'm assuming that by this you aren't trying to insinuate that your conditioning now involves lots of LSD?  I kinda figured you for having your conditioning pretty much in check already.  What have you changed exaclty?  I have an idea, but don't want to assume anything more.  Thanks in advance for the reply

cheers.

We need to rethink the false dichomy that we're either doing short intervals or doing LSD. 

Guys act like the only choice is between running 30 minutes at an 8-minute-mile pace or running a 30 second all-out sprint.

Is that really all there is?  Either go slow and long or short and all out?

You still didn't answer the question Mick.  I'm not mocking or trying to provoke an internet e-peen contest either, just asking a question.  All I did was ask how you restructured your conditioning as you mentioned in your post. 

Just asking a question that I wasn't able to find an answer for by searching the forums or using google.

Cheers mate.

In hard training mode, I do hill sprints during a 30-35 min run.....It's right in the middle so it simulates having to up the tempo for a fight and then rest while moving, since there's still about 12-15 minutes left in the jog.

I also do stairs towards the very end.  Tough routine and I do it right before going to start training kickboxing or BJJ.  I do everything only about 2X a week...otherwise, I just do the standard light jog.

Aren't sprints anearobic?

Leigh - does GSP only do sprints for his training? apologies if this has been covered somewhere else

When my friend asked him at a seminar, GSP said he never ran long slow distance. His main conditioning is weight/bodyweight circuits, sprints, and other crazy stuff that mixes in fight training like hammering the heavy bag for 30 seconds and then doing burpee for 30s ect.