Any lobbyists on the OG?

My professional endeavors has found me acting as lobbyist for various nonprofit causes, but I'm thinking of going pro/solo.

Anybody a staff or contract lobbyist that is willing to give advice? Phone Post 3.0

Uploaded with Imgupr

This is the correct response. Phone Post 3.0

One man shows are tough to make work. I've seen a number of people fail miserably trying to do it. Phone Post 3.0

MrFluffyHippo - Uploaded with Imgupr
WHAT IN THE SWEET FLYING FUCK!? Phone Post 3.0

S bend7 -
MrFluffyHippo - Uploaded with Imgupr
WHAT IN THE SWEET FLYING FUCK!? Phone Post 3.0
Dick piglet Phone Post 3.0

Maybe. I've been considering doing an AMA at some point.

If you're flying solo l, make sure you have a lot of clients lined up. Phone Post 3.0

rufus - One man shows are tough to make work. I've seen a number of people fail miserably trying to do it. Phone Post 3.0
Are you talking about business in general, or lobbying? There aren't really any big firms left in NM - almost all one-man shows... Phone Post 3.0

GettaJaab - 
rufus - One man shows are tough to make work. I've seen a number of people fail miserably trying to do it. Phone Post 3.0
Are you talking about business in general, or lobbying? There aren't really any big firms left in NM - almost all one-man shows... Phone Post 3.0

Lobbying. I'm in politics in WI, and the smallest firms probably have 3-4 lobbyists and an administrative person. 95% of contract lobbyists work for larger lobbying firms or law firms that have a lobbying practice. I literally don't know anyone who is solo. Can't imagine how there would be enough time in the day to hustle for clients (which can be nearly a full time job) and do actual lobbying on your own. Not to mention one person being able to have good contacts on both sides of the aisle. Even the really small firms here have both Democrats and Republicans so they have both sides covered.

What don't you like about being an in-house lobbyist? That would seem to be your best bet, but I don't know anything about NM political culture.

Fuck it, just go into business for yourself. Phone Post 3.0

Fire away Phone Post

rufus - Fuck it, just go into business for yourself. Phone Post 3.0
This. There aren't really any firms here. There are firms in DC that contract with local government entities.

How hard would it be to still counties and small cities away? Does anybody respond to government RFPs for services? Room for disruption, like not making any political contributions?

New Mexico is one of the only states with unpaid legislators, so lobbyists are more involved - often doing the work of lawmakers and analysts, and I feel there is more corruption and less transparency in NM, which could be a good thing for a shady dude or for a white night coming in on his white horse.

What about quality of life? Family time? Money? Here the session is either 30 days or 60 days, so lots of episodic work and maybe some year long municipal stuff.

Resources to learn more? Like I said? I am very active in lobbying for my nonprofit - even drafted a bill that's made it through it's first committee hearing this week!

Any input is appreciated? Phone Post 3.0

That sounds random as shit and nothing like what I deal with in Sacramento. I work for a local municipality on resource issues. I do a lot of analyst type of work as our state gov relations shop is only three of us with one admin and my boss who's a mouth piece.

Here there's tons of one man shops but the ones that make it Here a usually retired guys who have a lot of experience and lobby on the side to stay busy or heavily connected guys who open up solo shop after they leave a high-level government position.

Most lobbyists go after local gov rfp' s. With thousands of different special districts and local municipalities there's never a shortage of governments looking for representation. Government is actually the biggest employer of lobbyists in California. Phone Post