Any of you do lunges?

I'm going to start doing these as an assistance exercise. I was wondering if any of you do this exercise and if so, what kind of mileage did you get out of it?

Yes.

Great workout for the legs.

They can really tire you out though ;-)

Yup, I usually rotate a different variation every 2-3 weeks.

Helps with hip flexor length and single leg stability, two problem areas for me if I neglect them for some time.

I do them, without weights, on days that I don't run. They made my legs stronger and upped my running game.

Andy the man - Yes.

I've dabbled with them in the past for brief periods and hated doing them. Now I plan on doing them for awhile.

slayer806 - Yup, I usually rotate a different variation every 2-3 weeks.

Helps with hip flexor length and single leg stability, two problem areas for me if I neglect them for some time.
I've been neglecting single leg stuff, so hopefully this will help.

LittleJoeMama - I do them, without weights, on days that I don't run. They made my legs stronger and upped my running game.
This is what I wanted to hear. I hope I can get benefits as well.

It pretty much identically mimics a common movement in many combat sports. I do them a lot, especially when focusing on strength endurance, circuits, etc.

Do them a lot... Did jumping lunges just the other day... Phone Post

Yes great workout Phone Post

I've personally found step-ups to be more enjoyable and beneficial than lunges, but lunges are good too. I think I just have bad luck with them in that for the past 4 times I've programmed them into my lifting, I get a bruise in my foot from practice just prior.

I do them mostly reverse on the Smith machine. Also will do em normal with some heavy dumbells. Good workout.

I do weighted walking lunges once every few weeks. Usually go the length of the basketball court a few times. Phone Post

I do 'bulgarian split squats' which is basically a lunge with the rear leg elevated on a bench.

Best exercise I have found for my glutes, atleast in terms of next day soreness.

We do them all the time.

Lunges with punches using dumbbells, lunges with slosh pipes, lunges with overhead press, lunges with 45 lb plate extended overhead, kettlebell lunges.....

Hell, come to think of it, we do them just about every leg day in some capacity or another.

Great for endurance, single leg work, balance/stabilizers, etc.

I do a ton of variations in the P90X program

A staple exercise, lots of variations Phone Post

Andy the man - Yes.

Indeed. I only do the 50lb dumbbells for 12 reps each leg walking across the wrestling mats. Wears me the hell out. Phone Post

FrateTrane_MaimedShane - I do 'bulgarian split squats' which is basically a lunge with the rear leg elevated on a bench.

Best exercise I have found for my glutes, atleast in terms of next day soreness.

Yeah I prefer the BSS to regular lunges as an assistance exercise. When I get to the end of my sets I feel like I've been sprinting.

^ If you add weight with them, how do you do it and how much?

I've seen it done with barbell but I've never tried because I just picture myself falling over. Right now I hold on to 44lb kettlebells but that's the biggest I have access too so will need to try a barbell soon I guess. Either that or a weighted vest.