Any of you dread lifting?

I find myself enjoying lifting weights less and less. I still make myself lift regardless of how I feel, but it seems pointless to me more and more.

I spend time busting my ass under heavy weights and what is my reward. I can lift more, so what? How does this help my life?

Ok rant mode over, but is anyone else tired of lifting or gone through a phase like this?

Try switching gears. Turn the brute power into functional strength. Phone Post

I switched to kettlebells for this reason. So bored of my old pull/push/squat routine. Phone Post

1800champagne - I switched to kettlebells for this reason. So bored of my old pull/push/squat routine.
I think I would enjoy a switch, more bodyweight stuff and some KBs. I just haven't acheived all my lifting goals, yet and feel obligated to do that first.

I can lift more, so what? How does this help my life?

Yeah, so take a strategic look at your life. So many people fail to do this with training or anything else.

What is your goal? Overall fitness? Strength? Sports performance? Or are you just lifting because someone once told you to lift without examining why? (Kinda like a religion?)

If you're doing something with a purpose it will be more fun.

meco24 - Try switching gears. Turn the brute power into functional strength.
Do you mean do different types of exercises?

big_slacker - 
I can lift more, so what? How does this help my life?

Yeah, so take a strategic look at your life. So many people fail to do this with training or anything else.

What is your goal? Overall fitness? Strength? Sports performance? Or are you just lifting because someone once told you to lift without examining why? (Kinda like a religion?)

If you're doing something with a purpose it will be more fun.
I just have always wanted to be strong, but now that goal is kind of empty for me.

Variation will help. I have days where the last thing I want to do is lift and on those days I'll do exercises I've never done or haven't in a while at least. It helps push through. Phone Post

I really enjoy lifting

Cardio can go fuck itself though

I agree with everyone else, if you find it boring, change it up

Or perhaps change your goals - try bulking. Or leaning out. Or anything, really. Lifting with no goal is just going to seem pointless. But if you can see yourself getting closer to some achievement, you'll enjoy it more.

I got bored of just lifting. I do a lot more ridiculous shit now, I will do a full squat workout and go run 10 100yd sprints. I'll do deadlifts and rows, then go outside and do 150yds of 300lb tire flips. make it challenging.

I am actually going through a more Body-weight / DB oriented phase right now. Gonna stick with this style for a few months. Then going to do CARD P.T.

TAKU

i used to love lifting...it was literally the high point in my day, every day. i eventually got pretty strong and muscular, but started accumulating injuries.

i switched to a more calisthenic based approach, and found i kept most of the gains and minimized the injuries.

i'm also at the point where i have always been strong or powerful enough to do what i need to do. my conditioning (and bodyfat) has since become my focus...

Fuck no!

I love lifting.

I lift on average around 4 times a week, and you know what? I enjoy it every time more than the last.

I seriously don't know what else i'd do if i couldn't lift weights! I'd be lost/go mad etc.

Andy the man - Fuck no!

I love lifting.

I lift on average around 4 times a week, and you know what? I enjoy it every time more than the last.

I seriously don't know what else i'd do if i couldn't lift weights! I'd be lost/go mad etc.

This happened to me for 2 years. I was a very grumpy person during that time.

Yep I go through those phases. They tend to pass though and then you'll get purple patches when the training goes really well and you set PRs constantly. Maybe just a different routine is needed. You tried 5/3/1? Its a nice change for me to be going for rep PRs instead of 1RMs.

timessquare - Yep I go through those phases. They tend to pass though and then you'll get purple patches when the training goes really well and you set PRs constantly. Maybe just a different routine is needed. You tried 5/3/1? Its a nice change for me to be going for rep PRs instead of 1RMs.
I did 5/3/1 for about a year I think. I liked the simplicity of it. I feel a little better now, but my last workout I really dreaded getting under the bar with heavy weights on my back. I was asking myself,"Why the hell am I doing this?"

I still have a goal to deadlift 500 and will stay the course, but once I achieve that I want to shift gears to something more fun.

Leigh - I'm on maintenance right now. Only psyching myself up once a week is quite nice. Made some great lifts today so I'm very happy and enjoying lifting, although it wrecked me, lol
What do you do to maintain?

Leigh - Deadlift, dumbell bench and clean and jerk. 1 working set to failure in the same session, once per week. The exercises could be different for you, depending on your strengths and weaknesses but these keep me strong. At some point I'll come back to strength building, where I'll add squats and weighted chins back in and split my workout into 2 days per week
I would be very happy to only have to do 1-2 sets of the main lifts once a week. I'm 41, so I am going to forge ahead an achieve my goals first before I reward myself with the maintenance. I don't feel like I have time to waste, otherwise I would take a break.

Leigh - Ok, whatever works for you. Good luck

I don't think you took my post the wrong way, but I just want to clarify that I was not saying anything negative towards you. I respect your and what you have achieved.

I was just saying that I am going to buckle down and get my ass in gear to get my goal of a 500 deadlift, after that I am going to shift gears and do more maintenance type stuff.

i only work out once every 3-4 days. 5 exercises, 1 set each. adding weight over time. i really enjoy seeing progress, that's mainly what keeps me going.

i switch the order of my exercises if i hit a plateau. sometimes i also take a little bit of a break.