Any OG Army members in Ft Sill OK?

My son leaves in 3 days for boot camp and then 19 weeks of AIT in Ft.  Sill. 

Looking for someone Army to check up on him.  

I'm a dad, he's 18.

Thx for anything. 

Good luck to your boy.

WhereIsGoranReljic -

Good luck to your boy.

Thx. 

There were some Army guys that posted in a thread I started a couple weeks ago about him joining 

Blazing Knees -
WhereIsGoranReljic -

Good luck to your boy.

Thx. 

There were some Army guys that posted in a thread I started a couple weeks ago about him joining 

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/forums/OtherGround/My-19-yr-old-son-just-joined-the-Army:2693933?pc=165

It's not a good idea to check up on him. I understand you're worried, but basic training is a total control environment. Drill Sergeants get very paranoid when strangers come asking about trainees. They probably wouldn't be allowed to talk to him, and it would draw extra attention that he doesn't want. He'll be fine. Don't be worried if you don't hear from him immediately, telephones are a privilege. Count on one phone call a week, typically on Sundays. You'll get a letter from him with his mailing address when he gets to his training unit. Write him letters whenever you can, email isn't an option until he gets to AIT. I wouldn't recommend sending care packages of food, bit if you do, make sure you send enough for everybody in his training platoon (40-60 guys). Any less, and it will probably get thrown away, stored until graduation, or eaten by the Drill Sergeants. Again, it's normal to be worried, but he'll be fine.

red7 - It's not a good idea to check up on him. I understand you're worried, but basic training is a total control environment. Drill Sergeants get very paranoid when strangers come asking about trainees. They probably wouldn't be allowed to talk to him, and it would draw extra attention that he doesn't want. He'll be fine. Don't be worried if you don't hear from him immediately, telephones are a privilege. Count on one phone call a week, typically on Sundays. You'll get a letter from him with his mailing address when he gets to his training unit. Write him letters whenever you can, email isn't an option until he gets to AIT. I wouldn't recommend sending care packages of food, bit if you do, make sure you send enough for everybody in his training platoon (40-60 guys). Any less, and it will probably get thrown away, stored until graduation, or eaten by the Drill Sergeants. Again, it's normal to be worried, but he'll be fine.

Thanks  .  One if the guys said his wife was a d. I.  at Sill,  got me thinking. I will take your advice 

We would get smoked in mopp 4 , full battle rattle when somebody got a care package , while the private who received it sat in the kill zone and ate every single bite . Fun times .

Don’t worry about him , let him grow into a man on his own 

red7 - It's not a good idea to check up on him. I understand you're worried, but basic training is a total control environment. Drill Sergeants get very paranoid when strangers come asking about trainees. They probably wouldn't be allowed to talk to him, and it would draw extra attention that he doesn't want. He'll be fine. Don't be worried if you don't hear from him immediately, telephones are a privilege. Count on one phone call a week, typically on Sundays. You'll get a letter from him with his mailing address when he gets to his training unit. Write him letters whenever you can, email isn't an option until he gets to AIT. I wouldn't recommend sending care packages of food, bit if you do, make sure you send enough for everybody in his training platoon (40-60 guys). Any less, and it will probably get thrown away, stored until graduation, or eaten by the Drill Sergeants. Again, it's normal to be worried, but he'll be fine.
This. He's fine

Not in the military but I live right outside FT Sill. If you need something give me a shout.

Image result for helicopter dad

Haha, be careful what you wish for. My buddy is a Drill Sergeant. He loves when parents contact him and ask them to give their kid special treatment or to watch over them. Its an invitation to do the exact opposite and make their time way more stressful than it needs to be.

But this is the OG.... Could be good. Could be worse than im imagining.

Id say just trust everything will work out and dont go putting your nose where it doesnt belong. Itll be all good

I didn't mean to sound condescending towards any concerns you may have. I was a Drill Sergeant at Ft. Benning and I'm more than willing to answer any questions you may have about the process, bear in mind things have changed and all basic training posts are different.

Write lots of letters. Nothing is better than getting mail during basic. 

Pretjah -

Image result for helicopter dad

Lol. Made me think of the episode of Black Mirror I just watched with the mother who installed the chip in her daughter’s head to watch and protect her every minute. 

red7 - I didn't mean to sound condescending towards any concerns you may have. I was a Drill Sergeant at Ft. Benning and I'm more than willing to answer any questions you may have about the process, bear in mind things have changed and all basic training posts are different.

Man, you need to do an AMA immediately. 

LiveWire -
red7 - I didn't mean to sound condescending towards any concerns you may have. I was a Drill Sergeant at Ft. Benning and I'm more than willing to answer any questions you may have about the process, bear in mind things have changed and all basic training posts are different.

That would be a good thread. Do it

Machine250 -
LiveWire -

Agree

I use to be stationed there, actually did my basic and ait there also.

I take it he's artillery, would he by chance be a 13 fox?

JonJonesBone -
Machine250 -
LiveWire -

Agree
This needs to happen, these are the kind of threads that built the OG.